Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CUTiger06
Even something as simple as turning on the WI-FI would have gone a long way in goodwill.
It may not have been "possible".

I know the WiFi will continue to work on taxi at landing, but I think pre-departure it won't turn on until you get to a certain altitude and not sure they're able to override that... and I'd bet once they blocked the plane in (or some other similar check point) the plane switches from landing to pre-departure.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:41 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
My biggest wonder about this is how parents with infants/toddlers survived this!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by username
2 - people talk about ETOPS here. I remember when these things first started, they were also talking about Polar Operations.
I've never heard of specific "polar operations" rules in the sense that they have ETOPS rules. But then again, I'm not a pilot, nor do I work for an airline. One issue that comes to mind is that normal satellite communications that pilots might use for voice or data are not available above a certain latitude (due to geostationary satellites being below the horizon) so that more old-fashioned radio communications are needed, but it's my understanding that those aren't spelled out specifically like the ETOPS rules. Perhaps one of the pilots on here can chime in.

I have flown just this route on just this aircraft type before, in 2001 (when it was pmCO - perhaps even this specific aircraft). I had a lengthy conversation with the captain when he was on break and hanging out in the galley. I asked specifically about ETOPS diversion airports and their ability to handle a 777-load of passengers in a remote location, thinking mostly of those in the Aleutians. He told me that that really wasn't a consideration: in the event that a diversion was required, they put down at the "nearest suitable field" no matter what. He was talking about ETOPS diversions rather than medical, but I think the same thing applies. Uncomfortable passengers on the ground are better than passengers on a broken plane (or a dead passenger) in the sky. In the event of a mechanical diversion that required an aircraft evacuation upon landing, there's probably no "nearest suitable field" that doesn't have some kind of building that could protect a 777-full of passengers from the elements. Of course, such an emergency would waive any kind of customs or immigration regulations regarding passengers leaving the aircraft.

I may have mentioned this before: the captain told me an interesting story about the pmCO 777-200's that fly that route. Going EWR-HKG, they always take off at Maximum Take Off Weight. The route is near the range limit for the aircraft, and the amount of cargo carried is dependent on whatever extra weight they have between the passenger/fuel load and MTOW. They push it to such a degree that they sometimes depart the gate with a fuel load that puts the aircraft over MTOW, with the anticipation that the fuel burn during taxi will reduce it to be at MTOW at take-off. If for some reason they reach the runway quicker than anticipated, they have to sit at the end with the engines spun up but with the brakes locked in order burn off fuel until they reach MTOW, at which point they release the brakes and off they go.
evanroberts, MSPeconomist and oopl like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
Also, regarding the temperature possibly causing the door to malfunction, the article says: "The airline believes cold weather caused a door on the plane to malfunction, preventing takeoff." So that's some evidence right there.
Amazing how Alaska Airlines and many smaller airlines have absolutely NO issues flying into smaller airports with similar temperatures. Not to mention that aircraft regularly experience these temperatures at altitude every flight. No magic "winter" versions of rubber seals or door latches in use there.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
UA is hardly going to off-load a plane full of passengers so they can take their aircraft to rescue other passengers.
UA might not, but some other airlines would postpone other flights to get a rescue flight out. I know B6 & DL have spare aircraft AND CREW waiting around for such things at some of their hubs. The flight crews often will nickname this standby shift as an "airport appreciation day." Last month I saw DL dispatch a replacement aircraft after mx delayed a flight. The replacement aircraft departed 3 hours after the original scheduled departure time. I'd say that's pretty darn good .

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the similar occurrence back in 2015. United Strands Hundreds in Remote Goose Bay for 20+ Hours That time, they did offload the pax into unheated barracks. But it took UA an inexplicably long time to come and get them that time, too.
Time for me to post this again... At the time, UA was having a diversion to Goose Bay about every 2.5 days. Flipping through the past 7 days' worth of flights through YYR, it appears they've improved their record.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No wifi during the diversion also has the advantage to UA of reducing the social media posts about the situation, at least temporarily.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No wifi during the diversion also has the advantage to UA of reducing the social media posts about the situation, at least temporarily.
Advantage to UA maybe, but who controls WiFi on the plane? Because:

...The flight crew was great and did the best they could, but you know it’s bad when the Captain starts telling passengers the email Oscar Munoz and post to social media in a bid to actually get some sort of rescue plan in motion. He had more faith in a viral campaign than he did in the company he represents....
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

$500 voucher to be used within 1 year or 25k in miles. Everyone was rebooked through EWR, SFO or ORD and provided food and hotel vouchers. We decided to come home as our vacation was cut from 7 to 5 days, so did not accept the hotel and headed home last night.

Ao to to add insult to injury I will be at work this week instead of HK
That seams like weak compensation for their massive mechanical delay.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
Advantage to UA maybe, but who controls WiFi on the plane? Because:
To an extent, the WiFi probably controls itself, and if you reset it and it thinks it's on the ground, no Wifi.

Does it?

I feel like the "Passengers stuck for 16 hours" (on plane that was going to be in the air for 16 hours) may have been alleviated, at least in the short term.

Last edited by raehl311; Jan 22, 2019 at 1:18 am
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Shouldn't a flight of this length have a double crew?

You still have duty time limits. The fourth pilot just increases the total available duty time. It adds two to two-and-a-half hours to the available duty time, depending on the time of day that the duty day begins.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text..._C_to_part_117

It may have been an issue with the high latitude preventing the system from seeing the satellite while on the ground. The satellite might have been too low on the horizon for a connection to be maintained.
narvik and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:58 am

Just to put things in perspective here with regards to the "high latitude".

Goose Bay lies at a mere 53.3° N. That's south of Scotland, Northern Germany and all of Scandinavia, including all the capital cities.
MSPeconomist and yytleisure like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:05 am

canada is treated as domestic on all major us carriers
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by mozilla
Goose Bay lies at a mere 53.3° N. That's south of Scotland, Northern Germany and all of Scandinavia, including all the capital cities.
That's true, and the satellite system is designed, primarily, to work while airborne. The farther north you go the lower the satellite will be on the horizon.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dtc
My biggest wonder about this is how parents with infants/toddlers survived this!
Exactly the same way they would have survived the original 15+ hour flight?

Originally Posted by KRSW
Amazing how Alaska Airlines and many smaller airlines have absolutely NO issues flying into smaller airports with similar temperatures. Not to mention that aircraft regularly experience these temperatures at altitude every flight. No magic "winter" versions of rubber seals or door latches in use there.
So you're saying that Alaska has *never* had a plane go MX? I don't doubt they were able to recover better than UA did, but on the other hand they were likely at an airport that was capable of fitting all of the passengers inside of it.

As far as whether the door arming mechanism can be operated at the temperatures at 38,000 feet, that's something I hope to never have to find out...

It's also worth remembering that this wasn't typical weather, even for Goose Bay - Saturday night/Sunday morning was the 2nd coldest temperature in Goose Bay in close to 4 years.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by docbert

As far as whether the door arming mechanism can be operated at the temperatures at 38,000 feet, that's something I hope to never have to find out...
Even if the door arming mechanism moves at 38,000 feet, one wouldn't be able to open the door anyways due to the pressure differences.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:13 am

They do have cell phone service in Goose Bay including data.
Originally Posted by KRSW

UA might not, but some other airlines would postpone other flights to get a rescue flight out. I know B6 & DL have spare aircraft AND CREW waiting around for such things at some of their hubs. The flight crews often will nickname this standby shift as an "airport appreciation day." Last month I saw DL dispatch a replacement aircraft after mx delayed a flight. The replacement aircraft departed 3 hours after the original scheduled departure time. I'd say that's pretty darn good .

Time for me to post this again... At the time, UA was having a diversion to Goose Bay about every 2.5 days. Flipping through the past 7 days' worth of flights through YYR, it appears they've improved their record.
UAL’s high diversion rate to YYR were mostly 757’s making unplanned fuel stops.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2019 at 7:30 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.