Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I am surprised there wasn't a landing weight issue requiring some additional maintenance. That plane must have still had tons of fuel on board and been over max landing weight?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:13 am

How can we avoid situations like this in the future? SOP to deal with adverse situations?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
I was on the flight and we are back in EWR. I think my biggest issue was the medical emergency started an hour into the flight and we diverted 3 hrs later.
I was in 8D near the open door and it was not that cold in the plane. I slept for about 6 hrs with the Polaris blanket and was fine. The crew was great . I think the issues with the flight are the SOC in Chicago
upon return to EWR, were you handled as a domestic or int’l arrival?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
UGH, as a Canadian why did we bother with "customs" just let the people off the plane! I guess there was probably a lack of transport to hotels and probably no hotels to go to. However why did we need customs, nobody was going to run away in -30. And even if some passenger did want to stay in Canada at -30 they would change their mind in a hurry
seenitall likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by narvik
Only because no one has had the gumption to set this up. From the pictures I have seen, accommodating 250 persons in a secure area for exactly this type of event should be a fairly easy thing to accomplish....IME.
"should be" are the key words here

Years ago, I was a station manager at an "international airport" that was international in name only. No scheduled int'l flights, but being close to the border, we did have US customs there. It was usually just a guy in an office, and it wasn't even in the same building. But every week we got an email / duty roster of which officers were working, as well as a customs emergency duty phone in case we needed them when the local office wasn't staffed.

My airline also went around to every "primary diversion" station (airports close to all of the hubs that often get diversions), and scheduled mandatory meetings that included a government affairs department person from the carrier, the local station manager, the airport authority and the US CBPA port director to ensure we had a viable plan in place to do exactly what you are describing: offload a diverted airplane full of people into a sterile area while we await a rescue flight. We really had it down to "T." It was taken very seriously.

But the fact remains ... NOBODY gets off an airplane from an international flight until a customs officer says its OK. The buck stops with them.
KRSW, MSPeconomist, narvik and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Now that I am back home, I can answer a few of the questions.

I do not think we landed overweight. The pilots mentioned that were were dumping fuel as we headed for Goose Bay.
The plane did not park anywhere near the terminal but at an FBO. I hear that this was because there was not a 777 capable tug in Goose Bay so we had to park in a clear area so they could just pull forward when we left. The passengers that deplaned went into the FBO to stretch their legs.
When we got back to EWR, we did go through immigration and customs. The C customs was empty when we got there and it was a somewhat expedited experience.
I have no idea why door 2L was open all night. I know from watching it was difficult to open and close. The other issue they had was the handle was bitterly cold after the door was open for a time and they were using the oven mittens for gloves.
The passengers around me were mostly rebooking on UA. I heard one mention they rebooked on Cathay. I did not even rebooking since I had no idea when we would get to EWR.
For compensation, one GS on the flight checked an early email after initial arrival in Goose Bay and it was for $500. A second email for compensation came after we left Goose Bay. I have no idea what my offer is since the united care website refuses to function. It looks like it has now been enhanced as part of the web redesign since my last visit
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AC P25
There’s no one willing to pay for all these services people are suggesting/asking be available. All across the arctic,
east and west coasts of Canada you’d need people on standby for what are in general not regular events at many particular locations. Goose Bay isn’t a total backwater as Eastern Canada goes, but it’s an isolated place of under 10000 people. They’ll save your life and provide basic needs but being able to cater to hundreds of people on a moments notice isn’t going to happen unless UA coughs up some serious cash. It did drag on longer than comfortable, but for January in Labrador I’d say it was what can be expected.

Althouh you wouldn’t think having one big room with at least heat and some toilets wouldn’t be too much to ask for, a few people to watch the doors. But it takes manpower I suppose and border concerns can make things complicated. Since the plane was heated and safe, that was likely the best option available.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by j2simpso
The ETOPS mandate states that if you're flying over water passed a certain amount of time (is it 120 minutes?) then the flight must be stocked with enough food to allow you to divert if necessary to the backup airport and wait for help to arrive. In the case of EWR->HKG I believe they serve 2 meals in Y, so likely they stocked 3 meals for the flight (in case they have to divert at the end). In the case of WN they would likely need to have enough food on board to serve everyone a meal I would think. That doesn't mean that they have to be plated, it could just be enough BoB items to serve an extra meal to all pax. BTW these plans are elaborate and it can be months before an airline gets certified for a particular route. The authorities take 0 chances when you're running on a measly 2 engines!

This event proves the vital importance of having that extra meal at hand since they were running out of food before Timmies arrived and I can assure you Timmie is not a meal (unless you consider donuts and bagels to be a meal?!)

-James
On my last visit to Canada last month, I was surprised to find that Tim Horton serves sandwiches.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
They do serve sandwiches. They brought us donuts, sandwiches, juice and coffee.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:15 am

Just wondering, why did it take UA so insanely long to send a replacement/ rescue plane?
Mountain Explorer and KRSW like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by leonidas
Just wondering, why did it take UA so insanely long to send a replacement/ rescue plane?
I believe it took nearly 6 hours for the replacement crew to get to EWR.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by prestonh
I believe it took nearly 6 hours for the replacement crew to get to EWR.
Bad traffic in the tunnel?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Kacee
Bad traffic in the tunnel?
If it was that bad, how did all of their other flights go out?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When the return to EWR required going through USA immigration and customs again, I wonder how passengers who didn't have travel documents to re-enter the USA would have been treated, for instance those who had had single entry visas or expired visas.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:43 am

I talked to the pilots said it was an issue of trying to find both pilots and flight attendants. They found pilots who then timed out while waiting for flight attendants. Then flight attendants timed out waiting for new pilots. I think the problem was trying to decide on continuing to HKG or returning to EWR. No one could decide where we where going next instead of just getting back to EWR.
Vkuo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.