Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Goose Bay just isn't that far from EWR or ORD. There really should have been no need to wake immigration officers up. An organized airline would have had a rescue plane there within a few hours. They didn't even need flight attendants, the original flight attendants would have had plenty of hours left for the return to EWR
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:42 pm

Don't forget 9/11 -- when foreign planes heading to the USA were diverted not only to Goose Bay but also Yellowknife which is probably even less equipped... and I don't think the passengers were locked up on the planes for the 2-3 days it took for air travel to be restored in CONUS. Weren't they allowed to transfer to hotels and private homes?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by prestonh
at that point it is a diverted flight and they refunded them.
they refunded the passengers while they were in goose bay? No - they are revenue passengers.

revenue v non revenue is the wrong distinction to draw here
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
It was the right choice. The passengers in Goose Bay were perhaps in discomfort but no immediate danger. UA is hardly going to off-load a plane full of passengers so they can take their aircraft to rescue other passengers. "Excuse us ladies and gentlemen but your flight has been canceled because we need your plane to fly other people whose plane is out of service. Sorry your luck." Instead of one plane load of unhappy people now you have two.

What sort of "alternative solutions" do you think the good people of Goose Bay, all 8 thousand or so of them, should put in place for the occasional diversion of aircraft?
Second Badenoch. Population of rural Newfoundland and Labrador is in decline.. This is not a wealthy part of the world. NL unemployment rate is running over 15 (fifteen) per cent. Median household income in Goose BAy is around $50,000 (less than US $40,000.)

I know this was a frustrating experience, but the standard of living for even a flight on a 777 is likely pretty good compared to some. Don't mean to preach, just offering some perspective.
Badenoch likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Goose Bay just isn't that far from EWR or ORD. There really should have been no need to wake immigration officers up. An organized airline would have had a rescue plane there within a few hours. They didn't even need flight attendants, the original flight attendants would have had plenty of hours left for the return to EWR
What airline is that organized?
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
I wonder why UA didn't send two smaller aircraft (737s) for this YYR rescue? I would think it's easier to rejig flight schedules on multi-frequency per day shorter flights to free up two smaller aircraft to go to YYR, rather than face the choice of canceling a once daily (or perhaps twice daily) longhaul 777 flight, or just waiting until there is a gap in the 777 utilization. Heck, even one 737 could have made two trips YYR-EWR in the time it took to get the 777 in position.
Your idea sounds attractive but they would need of course two cockpit crews to fly two planes. I have no idea if they would have needed two crews to man two separate flights of one plane, don't know enough about the rules of timeouts, etc. And where do they have these standby crews and planes, at every major airport they service, only selected airports? (New York, Chicago, LA..) Would standby mean, ready to go on 3 hours notice, or literally sitting in the airport waiting to go (unlikely, crazy expensive.). In this case assuming a 3 hr prep period, by the time you add on the roundtrip and loading, offloading times, you are up to (3 + 2 + 2 + 1 (load/unload)) is 8 hours commitment of crew time and plane, 16 hours commitment of crew time-plane (if two planes or two trips) for a problem that might have gotten solved at any point in an 8 to 16 hour period. So it can be a hard call to make I think.

The other headache is the out of service 777, because the pilots assigned to fly THAT plane back are not available to fly any other 777 flights until it can be flown. I'm pretty sure they can't just swap 777 pilots and 737 pilots, at least one pilot tells me they are certified to fly only one type of plane. (Don't know if that is universal.)

All that said suggesting ideas to the CEO can't do any harm.

Last edited by simpleflyer; Jan 23, 2019 at 9:10 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by simpleflyer
And where do they have these standby crews and planes, at every major airport they service, only selected airports? (New York, Chicago, LA..) Would standby mean, ready to go on 3 hours notice, or literally sitting in the airport waiting to go (unlikely, crazy expensive.).
Did you read this post earlier in the thread?:

Originally Posted by LarryJ
For the pilots, you have field standby, short-call, and long-call reserves.

For a long-call assignment you BEGIN your 10hr rest AFTER you have been assigned the trip. You have 11:30 hours to report for a Global flight but that ensures that you are starting fresh with a full duty period available. That lead time won't work for a rescue flight so long-calls weren't available in this case.

Short-call has a report time of 2:30 then time to flight plan and preflight. The duty time limits are more complicated, though, since you're already on the hook for a phone call from the beginning of the short-call period which counts against your ultimate duty-day limit (though not 1:1). So, you may have pilots on short-call reserve who could report quickly but wouldn't have available duty time to make the round trip. You need to use short-calls who have only just started their short-call availability period. That's would be why pilots could time out while waiting for F/As.

Field standy is on-duty at the airport but also have the duty day limitations and they are staged to cover specific ultra long-haul flights where the a relatively short delay can cause the original crews to time out (such as EWR-HKG) so, by the time the need for the recovery was known the field standby's were either gone or didn't have enough duty time available for the round trip.

It wasn't just the pilots and F/As that were needed. They sent mechanics to fix the airplane, ramp workers to handle the passengers and ground ops, blankets, hot beverages, and food. That all had to be collected and loaded.

None of this starts happening until you know that you need a recovery flight. Initially, you think you'll fuel and go. Then you have a maintenance problem and call out the contract mechanics. If it's not business hours the contract mechanics may have to come from home which takes time. Then the mechanics evaluate the problem and attempt to fix in. In this case, the initial problem was not the door being frozen shut. That happened while they were working on the initial problem.

Immigration must approve passenger deplaning and will monitor to ensure that uncleared passengers don't enter the country. From news reports, that didn't occur until the next morning and, at that time, passengers were allowed to deplane in groups of about 20 passengers at a time.

Contract maintenance would be the first mechanics to look at the problem. If it is something that they can't handle then the airline will send company mechanics, tools, and parts.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by KRSW
I've been working for one of the Alaska air carriers since last summer and can assure you, cold weather is miserable to work in and engines are sometimes ornery to start in cold weather, BUT the aircraft still operate as expected. MX/AOG happens. BUT it can be prevented with proper preventative maintenance. This costs money. Even easier (and cheaper) is having a practical IRROPs plan and being willing to pull the trigger on it, knowing that it will cost more. It probably costs less to properly maintain your aircraft than dispatch rescue flights, but no one ever said bean counters were smart or practical.

The temperatures experienced at Goose Bay are the norm for much of Alaska, where air transport is often the ONLY form of transport in many areas, and even more villages in the winter when the land & sea routes are closed off. If we don't fly, mail, medicine, even supplies needed to treat the villages' water supplies aren't getting to their destination. I use Alaska Airlines as an example since they're flying Boeing jets, like UA is in this case. BUT I'd be remiss to not mention all of the smaller air carriers which fly a motley crew of aircraft in this weather, some much, much older and crusty. Everts Cargo is still flying multiple 60-65 year old DC-6s daily in such weather.
Are you arguing that United's preventive maintenance practices are causally related to this issue? What more specific information do you have about this, or is this pure speculation? Do you know exactly what part failed, and why? How would "proper" preventive maintenance practices mitigate the issue? Moreover, what are your specific criticisms of the way UA handled the IRROPS event? What were the staffing challenges (especially coming off a winter storm event several days before) that UA should have handled better? Were there multiple 'rescue flight' options and legal crew to cover? Did UA make a cost decision? I am genuinely curious, and you seem to know.

I'd wager the 777 door operation and arming mechanism is a bit more finicky and complicated than the 737s (all manual, no power assist) as operated by Alaska in the conditions you describe. Certainly not an excuse, but direct exposure (e.g. no jetbridge) for long periods in -30F ambient temperatures is not exactly within the usual ground operations envelope for the 777.
runner450 and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by EWR764; Jan 23, 2019 at 9:55 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Imstevek

What airline is that organized?
Delta. They rescued flight 128 diverted to Shemya en-route from PEK to SEA on Christmas Eve. rescue flight was on the ground 11 hours later and that was 6.23 hrs flight from SEA. So it took them <7 hours to get that flight in the air from when they knew of the diversion.

Originally Posted by EWR764
Are you arguing that United's preventive maintenance practices are causally related to this issue? What more specific information do you have about this, or is this pure speculation? Do you know exactly what part failed, and why? How would "proper" preventive maintenance practices mitigate the issue? Moreover, what are your specific criticisms of the way UA handled the IRROPS event? What were the staffing challenges (especially coming off a winter storm event several days before) that UA should have handled better? Were there multiple 'rescue flight' options and legal crew to cover? Did UA make a cost decision? I am genuinely curious, and you seem to know.

I'd wager the 777 door operation and arming mechanism is a bit more finicky and complicated than the 737s (all manual, no power assist) as operated by Alaska in the conditions you describe. Certainly not an excuse, but direct exposure (e.g. no jetbridge) for long periods in -30F ambient temperatures is not exactly within the usual ground operations envelope for the 777.
from what i understood it was that the affected door (3R) had to be opened to inspect on indication and in the process some moisture accumulated and froze the door so they could not finish. since there was no towing or hangar and it was super cold they were stuck

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 2019 at 10:22 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Delta. They rescued flight 128 diverted to Shemya en-route from PEK to SEA on Christmas Eve. rescue flight was on the ground 11 hours later and that was 6.23 hrs flight from SEA. So it took them <7 hours to get that flight in the air from when they knew of the diversion.
That was pre-dawn 12/24 PST and the plane arrived SYA in the afternoon (legally, astronomically it'd be midday). Time-of-day factors were more favorable.

Compared to this one it seemed when a rescue flight was needed, 'twas the night before the big storm, and all the long-haul flights may have departed. Reserves may have gone home.

Back to the aforementioned option of 2 737s or 757s, there may be plenty sitting on a Saturday night, but if flown in from ORD would need 3 pilots to be safe. A little delay, pilots would time out.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: UA MM

from what i understood it was that the affected door (3R) had to be opened to inspect on indication and in the process some moisture accumulated and froze the door so they could not finish. since there was no towing or hangar and it was super cold they were stuck
The Delta diversion was for an entirely different reason. They knew long before the flight even touched down in the Aleutians that they'd need a rescue aircraft. The UA 777, I'm sure everyone expected, would land, discharge the ill passenger, and then take off for HKG. Why would UA think they'd need a rescue aircraft in this situation?
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The Delta diversion was for an entirely different reason. They knew long before the flight even touched down in the Aleutians that they'd need a rescue aircraft. The UA 777, I'm sure everyone expected, would land, discharge the ill passenger, and then take off for HKG. Why would UA think they'd need a rescue aircraft in this situation?
DL128 on 12.24 diverted less than 2 hours from SYA (just check FR24). Presumably @prestonh 's figure for response time (~7 + ~6.5 = ~13.5hrs, vs 11hrs from landing) includes at least that 2 hours, so is actually being generous.

Given the circumstances, I don't think UA's response in this situation was that bad (although I'd probably feel differently had I been on the affected flight, and I empathize with all including the 2 FT'ers that were). But it sure doesn't make UA look good when there seem to be multiple instances where UA pax were stuck at diversion airports far longer than pax on competing airlines.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In terms of rescue flights crews, pilots specialize on aircraft types, although it might be easier to round some up on relatively short notice for a very common aircraft type for UA such as a 737 versus the 777. FAs for the legacy USA carriers are certified for every aircraft type in the fleet in general, although when a new one is introduced, it takes time for the training to catch up and it could be the case that only FAs at certain bases are qualified initially. [An example would be DL's A350s now but also the 777 back when it was first introduced.] Also, I know DL has FAs "sitting reserve" and actually at the airport ready to go, IIRC being paid for the shift. Newbies are often assigned this way before they have the seniority to hold routes, but IIRC more senior FAs do a share of this too and of course there's trading around of routes/dates/assignments.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Yes, of course, UA's response time clock should only start at the moment it became clear that the jet had a mechanical problem which prevents it from taking off.

Still, their response time was pretty awful.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:14 pm

I used to be a UA agent in YYZ before the bunch of us were outsourced and given the boot in 2014. I remember there was a diversion somewhere remote and OPS in ORD called us and asked for a couple of volunteers to be flown there to coordinate the operation . Basically get some UA employees on the ground pronto. Don’t know why this wasn’t done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.