Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
For the redeemable miles, you'd have to calculate it each way and see.
And remember that it's the base fare, not the total fare.
renila, jsloan and mtu_flyer like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And remember that it's the base fare, not the total fare.
Base fare plus fuel surcharge -- so, everything except taxes and fees. But on IAH-BKK, taxes and fees could approach $100.
mtu_flyer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver, Skymiles Peon, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Chase Reserve
Is there a mileage calculator you can recommend to figure out the RDM?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtu_flyer
Is there a mileage calculator you can recommend to figure out the RDM?
On United, you don't need a calculator; just go through the booking process and look at the number of PQDs. Multiply that by 5 if you have no status, 7 for Silver, 8 for Gold, 9 for Platinum, or 11 for 1K/Global Services.

For ticketing it on ANA, I use milecalc.com personally; gcmap.com will also give you a good estimate. You'll earn 25% of the flown distance on a K fare, plus a multiplier if you have status. (Not all partner airlines include a status multiplier for premier members, but ANA does).

In this case, neither approach is going to give you a lot of redeemable miles, but the ANA ticket will likely give you more.
mtu_flyer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I cannot find a thread on schedule/route changes, so wanted to post my question here.

Was looking to fly SFO-BNA later this September. Can only take the afternoon departure. Morning flight is too early for my schedule and I can't take the red-eye either. It seems like that afternoon flight (it was a 3pm-ish departure?) has disappeared from the schedule. Any ideas on where to get confirmation of this route change? Is it a weird IT glitch or did United cancel that frequency from the schedule? The routesonline.com site doesn't show any changes. The daily Alaska non-stop is just barely late enough, or I can fly one-stop, but that afternoon non-stop was really ideal.

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gobears293
Any ideas on where to get confirmation of this route change?
I see no afternoon SFO-BNA flight on any date during September. Looks like it's gone. That route can't support three flights a day. Just two flights six days a week.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I see no afternoon SFO-BNA flight on any date during September. Looks like it's gone. That route can't support three flights a day. Just two flights six days a week.
Yeah when I did my initial search a few months ago, I was happily surprised to see the 3x per day. And looking at the seat map on my specific travel day, I do remember the afternoon departure was almost completely empty. Wonder if the continuing MAX grounding has anything to do with this. United needs that regular 737 back on more popular routes.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:51 pm

Change fees for Premier Members on Cash Fares

I've been having a hard time finding the answer to this... is there a discounted change fee for any level of Premier status on cash fares. I am not looking for same-day changes, which I know have discounted fees. Rather, changes that are made prior to same-day. This is not easy to find on United's website.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hschnibs
I've been having a hard time finding the answer to this... is there a discounted change fee for any level of Premier status on cash fares. I am not looking for same-day changes, which I know have discounted fees. Rather, changes that are made prior to same-day. ...
There was a reason this was hard to fund, it does not exist. There are no change fee discounts for elites for changes prior to SDC. Would be nice but this is not an elite benefit.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:11 pm

How often/early do UA change their flight schedules? I booked a non-stop flight on 6/9 for 9/3 that was cancelled 7/22.
In another case, I bought a redeye, single layover ticket on 7/11 for 11/7, but on 7/30 I noticed there is a new non-stop redeye flight also on 11/7 that was not previously available. I've only flow united once in the last 5+ years, it seems they change their schedule quite often...?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Sporadically, and usually one final time approximately three months before departure (they will load an entire month at a time, so it's not an exact figure). Schedule changes on less than 60 days notice are rare.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Sporadically, and usually one final time approximately three months before departure (they will load an entire month at a time, so it's not an exact figure). Schedule changes on less than 60 days notice are rare.
Agreed, but UA is having to scramble more than usual due to the 737 MAX grounding.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Agreed, but UA is having to scramble more than usual due to the 737 MAX grounding.
AFAIK they are still trying to keep it on the 3-month firming window; there are just a lot more changes hitting than there would otherwise be.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:46 pm

UA is having to scramble more than usual due to the 737 MAX grounding.
They're picking up 19 737-700s that WN retired, so that should help pick up some of the slack.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're picking up 19 737-700s that WN retired, so that should help pick up some of the slack.
Not in the short term. Based on recent history, it'll be months before any of them will fly for UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.