Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
Looking at UA486 GEG-ORD on Aug 12. I see plenty open seats on Expertflyer but none offered on Google Flights or UA. Can I assume a particular reason for that?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mynolix
Looking at UA486 GEG-ORD on Aug 12. I see plenty open seats on Expertflyer but none offered on Google Flights or UA. Can I assume a particular reason for that?
Do you mean August 11th (August 12th arrival?)

The flight inventory exists, but it's is zeroed out; it may be that they're planning to cancel the flight on that date. It could also be full, even if there appear to be plenty of seats available on the seat map. Lots of people book a flight without a seat assignment.

For an August 12th departure, there's plenty of inventory and I had no problem pulling it up on United.com.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Do you mean August 11th (August 12th arrival?)

The flight inventory exists, but it's is zeroed out; it may be that they're planning to cancel the flight on that date. It could also be full, even if there appear to be plenty of seats available on the seat map. Lots of people book a flight without a seat assignment.

For an August 12th departure, there's plenty of inventory and I had no problem pulling it up on United.com.
Sorry, yes, I meant Aug 11. So I misinterpreted the seatmap on EF I suppose. It says paid and unassigned and in the back of the plane there are multiple rows indicated as open. If they really plan on canceling I would have to walk to Chicago I suppose
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, yes, I meant Aug 11. So I misinterpreted the seatmap on EF I suppose. It says paid and unassigned and in the back of the plane there are multiple rows indicated as open. If they really plan on canceling I would have to walk to Chicago I suppose
No, you didn't misinterpret the seat map. It's just that the seat map isn't a definitive representation of load on the flight.

The first class seat map shows two seats occupied and 18 blocked. Either this flight is severely oversold in coach or they're planning to downgauge or cancel it. There's no way to tell until they actually do it.

If they cancel the flight, they'll re-route you on another United flight. If you prefer, you'd be able to ask for a refund.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:16 pm

No, you didn't misinterpret the seat map. It's just that the seat map isn't a definitive representation of load on the flight.

The first class seat map shows two seats occupied and 18 blocked. Either this flight is severely oversold in coach or they're planning to downgauge or cancel it. There's no way to tell until they actually do it.

If they cancel the flight, they'll re-route you on another United flight. If you prefer, you'd be able to ask for a refund.
Thx for shedding some light on this. Still hoping for this flight since that is really the only flight fitting my schedule those days.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thx for shedding some light on this. Still hoping for this flight since that is really the only flight fitting my schedule those days.
Happy to help.

Note that ORD-GEG is still available that day, and it appears to be the same equipment; that is, it looks like they're planning to send a 739 from ORD to GEG and then back. Now, they could park that plane overnight and have it sub in for something else the next morning, so this isn't definitive, but at least it's a good sign.

One possibility is that UA has sold tickets to a huge group. Group tickets often aren't assigned seats until the day of departure, but they'd show up in the inventory stats; that could explain all of the blocked F seats and the empty Y seats, and why the inventory is zeroed out.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA F seatmaps have been coming up all blocked ~since the realignment of domestic inventory to JCDZP. Need to search for the J seatmap, which shows a normal 2/20 occupied. I don't know what's up with the flight such that it is zeroed out; that is usually indicative of a drop from the schedule as the seatmap is inconsistent with a tour booking but you never know.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
UA F seatmaps have been coming up all blocked ~since the realignment of domestic inventory to JCDZP. Need to search for the J seatmap, which shows a normal 2/20 occupied. I don't know what's up with the flight such that it is zeroed out; that is usually indicative of a drop from the schedule as the seatmap is inconsistent with a tour booking but you never know.
Ah, OK, thanks for the tip. In that case, I agree it seems like a precursor to dropping the flight.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Does UA have an official (or unpublished) policy to protect/rebook pax booked on two separate tickets (ticketing and operating airline: UA) in the event of IRROPs?

The only information I could find is six years old.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Does UA have an official (or unpublished) policy to protect/rebook pax booked on two separate tickets (ticketing and operating airline: UA) in the event of IRROPs?

The only information I could find is six years old.

Thanks in advance!
Official, no. Unofficial, usually yes.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold / Bonvoy Platinum
I want to book a flight TPA - HAM.

I want to use a GPU upgradable booking class. I believe this is W and above.

I can check all booking classes. What booking class must be available for the GPU to clear right away?

I see
BookingClass - Seat Availability
J - 9
C - 9
D - 9
Z - 9
P - 9
Y - 9
B - 9
M - 9
E - 9
U - 9
H - 9
Q - 9
V - 9
W - 9
S - 9
T - 9
L - 9
K - 9
N - 9

THANKS!
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by STEPHANKOENIG
I want to book a flight TPA - HAM.

I want to use a GPU upgradable booking class. I believe this is W and above.

I can check all booking classes. What booking class must be available for the GPU to clear right away?

For non-GS elites, you need PZ. PZ is only visible on united.com using Expert Mode

Expert Mode Update: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data.

Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 27, 2019 at 6:58 pm
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For non-GS elites, you need PZ. PZ is only visible on united.com using Expert Mode
Thanks for your fast answer!
I did turn on expert mode, but when checking flights (with lots of availability), PZ is always 0.
These will be GPUs from a friend, so I can not search for GPU-only flights, as this option is not offered with no GPUs in my account.
The search does not allow PZ as a booking class.

Any way I can search for flights with PZ availability?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I did turn on expert mode, but when checking flights (with lots of availability), PZ is always 0. ...
Not unusual,
... Any way I can search for flights with PZ availability?
Not really

A search for mileage upgrades will work to find potential flights but be careful on the purchase to get W or higher fare for long haul flights

The earlier referenced threads go into more detail on how other folks do their searches.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:21 pm

Thanks for all your help.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The earlier referenced threads go into more detail on how other folks do their searches.
Okay, I will now read them completely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.