Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Let's not all be negative about this - expert mode in the App is a real improvement - not just visuals
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by narvik
Sadly no. It appears not to work with all types of Visas (C, M and L only? Z never worked for me (pun intended).)
My suspicion is that it works only for visas that are multiple entry for a period of years, not visas that allow limited entries. That makes some sense because limited entry visas are marked with pen as used but otherwise bear no indication they are no longer valid (if within the stated time period for validity of entry).
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by EWR764
...My understanding is that the "immersive" aspect comes from using more location-based services...
Hmmmmm...

The Weather Channel app has been accused of tracking users and then selling their data
https://www.technologyreview.com/the...-then-selling/

​​​​​​​I turned off tracking on my TWC app.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
Frankly, I'm very happy with the app as it exists today. Fancy graphics in no way improve my experience on a small device. That poster is a VERY BAD sign of things to come.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Looking at the hub preview, I don't see anything I hate yet. Hopefully everything that's in the app now is still in there somewhere.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Hmmmmm...

​​​​​​​I turned off tracking on my TWC app.
Don't worry, IBM is behind it, they couldn't find their arse with two hands and a map.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Hmmmmm...

I turned off tracking on my TWC app.
Not saying it won't use location-based services (which you can control by allowing access only while using the app), but it could also use simple time-based adjustments. E.g., when you are within 24 hours of a flight, it bolds check in. When you're connected to United Wifi, it gives the inflight entertainment more prominence, etc.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
....when you are within 24 hours of a flight, it bolds check in. When you're connected to United Wifi, it gives the inflight entertainment more prominence, etc.
....and when you reach cruising altitude the app asks you if you want to open that 10000 miles special-bonus Chase MileagePlus® credit card account to pay for the Tapas snack box.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Don't worry, IBM is behind it, they couldn't find their arse with two hands and a map.
I believe IBM is behind the United app as well. IBM is also behind the United app that's run onboard the planes by the FAs I believe.

-RM
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I believe IBM is behind the United app as well. IBM is also behind the United app that's run onboard the planes by the FAs I believe.

-RM
Don’t know for sure. UA has a deal with IBM, that’s got a suite of something like one or two dozen apps for the airline industry - various parts of it. Beleive the suite of tools the FAs have onboard is IBM and part of the deal..not entirely sure if that extends to the customer-facing UA app too. Would make sense, though in the airline industry....
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Anyone else think it is strange how they list the # of miles in the screenshots as "Mileage points". I feel like that is the worst omen in all of this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
Everything is becoming so much clearer....
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by raehl311
Looking at the hub preview, I don't see anything I hate yet. Hopefully everything that's in the app now is still in there somewhere.
I have a United Chase CC. I don't need to be bombarded with a "come on" for yet another United Chase CC every time I open the app.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
I have a United Chase CC. I don't need to be bombarded with a "come on" for yet another United Chase CC every time I open the app.
im assuming they wouldn’t regress. Currently, if you’re logged in (and you have a card), they don’t show an ad for it, but if you don’t (I.e, log out of your account so they don’t know who’s using it) they show a promo with the current bonus.

If you have a mile play offer now, that’s the same block where the CC promo currently goes if you’re logged out. At least IME.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Here's a link with the first reveiew I have seen. Don't think it poster yet here:

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...s-13520772.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.