Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For domestic flight issues, use Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2019]

Information resources:
UA Flight Status
FlightAware / Flightstats (flight details)
Cancelled Flights (FlightAware)
Diverted Flights

Previous international delayed / cancelled report threads
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2018)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)

If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
February 6th, UA949, LHR-SFO, a pilot called in sick so flight took off as LHR-Bangor, Maine (BGR)-SFO arriving 4 hours late in SFO. Apparently, if I heard correctly, with 2 pilots they are only allowed a max of 7 hours flying so we had to divert to BGR and pick a new crew up. I would have thought that at LHR they would have had a couple of spare pilots kicking around waiting to be scrambled.
I think LHR does have reserves (short, long, or ready). Depending on how much lead time the pilot called in with, could have been any number of things.

Maybe the reserve pilots were already used on another flight that was short on crew. Maybe there were 767 reserve pilots but no 777 reserve pilots available. Maybe there were reserve 777 pilots at LHR but their remaining duty time wouldn't allow for the relatively long LHR-SFO. Who knows.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Sat 2/9 UA99 MEL-LAX appears canceled (though I received a push notification of "Reinstated" which I have never seen before). First, the app showed "cancelled due to extreme weather en route" and now displays "cancelled due to extreme wind and rain at MEL".
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Inbound diverted to SYD due to weather at MEL. They may actually just terminate the flight there and try to interline pax onward, it's not immediately clear from FLIFO. (I think the crew might time out in SYD.) The weather in MEL is pretty crazy right now.

Code:
0098/07FEB
P LAX/OUT 1052P L00.17 EST OFF 1117PPASSENGER CONNECTION
P LAX/OFF 1117P
P SYD/ETA 1024A FLAG STOP-INTERM-ETD 1044A PREVIOUS STOP LAX
N MEL/LX
D FCF/DVRT SYD ENRT LAX-MEL A/PASSENGER CONNECTION

SKED LAX ORIG 1035P GTD 72A SHIP 3960
MEL 925A TERM 2 GTA ****

0099/09FEB
N MEL/LX
F LAX/ETA 837A L01.57

SKED MEL ORIG 1125A GTD 20 SHIP 3960
LAX 640A TERM GTA TBIT
ed. to add they did indeed terminate UA98 in SYD, and the frame is returning tomorrow as UA2774 SYD-LAX.

Last edited by findark; Feb 8, 2019 at 11:47 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA
UA85 (TLV-EWR) cancelled

Cancelled 4hrs prior to boarding.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
EWR was a mess yesterday given the storm...

NRT UA79 delayed 5:50 due to WX
HKG UA179 delayed 1:50 due to WX
PEK UA89 delayed 9:00 due to WX
PVG UA86 delayed 13:55 (!!) due to WX and crew timeout

All returns except for HKG have been delayed; the HKG plane sits there overnight so there's a much larger buffer to accommodate the inbound delay.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
I think LHR does have reserves (short, long, or ready). Depending on how much lead time the pilot called in with, could have been any number of things.

Maybe the reserve pilots were already used on another flight that was short on crew. Maybe there were 767 reserve pilots but no 777 reserve pilots available. Maybe there were reserve 777 pilots at LHR but their remaining duty time wouldn't allow for the relatively long LHR-SFO. Who knows.
United has no international domiciles for pilots therefore no reserves.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by worldtrav
United has no international domiciles for pilots therefore no reserves.
Whoops, I got confused between flight crew and cabin crew domiciles.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
​​​​​Feb 12 UA82 EWR-DEL (and there for the return UA83 on Feb 13) canceled. This was a new one:

Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by villox
​​​​​Feb 12 UA82 EWR-DEL (and there for the return UA83 on Feb 13) canceled.
Feb 14 UA83 DEL-EWR is delayed 7 hrs 45 minutes for crew rest. Presumably, the cancellation of UA82 on feb 12 required them to carry a replacement crew on Feb 13, which needs a bit of rest before flying right back home.

Hoping all this mess is back to normal before I come back on Feb 15 UA83.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
PVG UA86 delayed 13:55 (!!) due to WX and crew timeout
I was on that flight. Left gate on time, went for de-icing, then kept taxiing for around an hour, then crew timeout, back to gate. Next attempt at 5pm. Same thing again, left the gate, de-iced, crew timeout. I'm not even sure why they bothered with that crew on the 5pm departure since we weren't taxiing for that long and the crew timed out right away. Final attempt at 10pm. Pilot informs us that the co-pilot is about to timeout soon (since he there was from the 5pm flight) and that ACARS is down, possibly due to a "cyberattack" (!). We de-iced, taxiied for around another hour and then finally took off. I was surprised the crew didn't time out again.

Compensation offered $400 ETC or 20k award miles.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:15 pm

Looks like they made up for the earlier Delhi cancellations by adding another flight over , UA2812, and another flight back, UA2816. But this aircraft’s one of the Polaricized 772s! I only discovered it when it asked me if I wanted to take an earlier flight on Check-in. Only one seat assigned in the entire biz cabin so far. So tempted, but I would have a tough time getting to the airport 5 hours earlier. Don’t trust Friday traffic.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
UA 58 SFO-FRA left an hour late for cleaning. That means the gate for UA990 you CDG was showing a delay. When the FRA plane left at 3 we got a notice saying 4:45 from 2:40 for our departure time now. Not sure if that’s actually the case. The plane landed from HND at 10am and as of 3:15 is at our gate.

Kinda sucks since I had a TGV ticket to Lyon which is now when we are scheduled to land so I’ll have to probably go to Gare Lyon which has trains nearly ever 30-60 min.

And here I was worried about all this weather.

Update: 4pm- cleaning crew went on

Last edited by JVPhoto; Feb 14, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by villox
Looks like they made up for the earlier Delhi cancellations by adding another flight over , UA2812, and another flight back, UA2816. But this aircraft’s one of the Polaricized 772s! I only discovered it when it asked me if I wanted to take an earlier flight on Check-in. Only one seat assigned in the entire biz cabin so far. So tempted, but I would have a tough time getting to the airport 5 hours earlier. Don’t trust Friday traffic.
I pulled the trigger and made it in time. UA2816 has about 22 pax total and so far I’m the only passenger in the second Polaris cabin (pending where they put the 3 non-revs). Should be interesting!!!
atword likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:44 pm

Currently stuck on UA871, SFO to Taipei. Got a text for equipment swap last night, flight was delayed an hour because we didn't have a gate despite the gate we were assigned and eventually taxied out of being empty. Now we've been at the gate for 2.5hrs for a maintenance issue... This'll be a long day...

edit: engines fired up and then turned off... Wonder when this crew will time out?

edit: Now they say we need more fuel, to file some paper work and then we'll be on our way... Really hoping the crew doesn't time out lol. This plane is entirely booked.

edit: pushing back, captain just said the crew waived their right to timeout and we'll be going soon.

Last edited by Eclipsed830; Feb 15, 2019 at 6:36 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Eclipsed830
Currently stuck on UA871, SFO to Taipei. Got a text for equipment swap last night, flight was delayed an hour because we didn't have a gate despite the gate we were assigned and eventually taxied out of being empty. Now we've been at the gate for 2.5hrs for a maintenance issue... This'll be a long day...

edit: engines fired up and then turned off... Wonder when this crew will time out?

edit: Now they say we need more fuel, to file some paper work and then we'll be on our way... Really hoping the crew doesn't time out lol. This plane is entirely booked.

edit: pushing back, captain just said the crew waived their right to timeout and we'll be going soon.
I note that flight UA871 SFO-TPE did finally take off 4 hours late at 5:33 pm, and will arrive TPE at 11:42 pm, 3h52m late. This flight is often late, and I have learnt not to book any ongoing travel from TPE until the next morning when I travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.