Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For domestic flight issues, use Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2019]

Information resources:
UA Flight Status
FlightAware / Flightstats (flight details)
Cancelled Flights (FlightAware)
Diverted Flights

Previous international delayed / cancelled report threads
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2018)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)

If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Today's flight 862 from HKG to SFO was canceled due to a problem with an engine. After pushback, when they started an engine, apparently there was a warning of an engine fire that triggered some kind of fire suppression mechanism. It was rather dramatic -- soon after engine start, one of the pilots came outside the cockpit and ran down the aisle to the back, apparently to see if the engine was on fire. He ran back and forth twice with a clear sense of urgency. Within a few minutes, a cadre of fire trucks surrounded us and then the captain promptly informed us of the problem. He said they were quite sure there wasn't a fire, and that these kinds of things are extremely rare.

After about 45 min, we were towed to a remote gate, then waited about 20 minutes before boarding buses to the terminal. A special flight will operate tomorrow (UA 2800) with a 772, and most of us will be on that plane. They put GSs and 1Ks at the SkyCity Marriott and of course are paying dinner and breakfast tomorrow. It was handled well, except for the process of handing us information on hotel arrangements. I wasn't automatically re-booked so after waiting about 3 hours, called the 1K line to get it done.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:32 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
UA 29 SFO-SIN for Monday delayed more than an hour "due to gate availability." The inbound a/c was ok schedule; what led to a lack of a gate for a widebody?

UA 28 for Tuesday is thus delayed. I think the departure time for UA 28 is a bit optimistic at the moment based on the late inbound.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Today's flight 862 from HKG to SFO was canceled due to a problem with an engine. After pushback, when they started an engine, apparently there was a warning of an engine fire that triggered some kind of fire suppression mechanism. It was rather dramatic -- soon after engine start, one of the pilots came outside the cockpit and ran down the aisle to the back, apparently to see if the engine was on fire. He ran back and forth twice with a clear sense of urgency. Within a few minutes, a cadre of fire trucks surrounded us and then the captain promptly informed us of the problem. He said they were quite sure there wasn't a fire, and that these kinds of things are extremely rare.

After about 45 min, we were towed to a remote gate, then waited about 20 minutes before boarding buses to the terminal. A special flight will operate tomorrow (UA 2800) with a 772, and most of us will be on that plane. They put GSs and 1Ks at the SkyCity Marriott and of course are paying dinner and breakfast tomorrow. It was handled well, except for the process of handing us information on hotel arrangements. I wasn't automatically re-booked so after waiting about 3 hours, called the 1K line to get it done.
Wow, thanks for sharing this story! Very interesting read. Two questions: (1) You mean tomorrow's UA 2800 will be operated by a new 772? Or just the same plane? If a new 772, where could that plane come from? (2) Glad that they put GSs and 1Ks at the airport Marriott. Any info on what others got?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Wow, thanks for sharing this story! Very interesting read. Two questions: (1) You mean tomorrow's UA 2800 will be operated by a new 772? Or just the same plane? If a new 772, where could that plane come from? (2) Glad that they put GSs and 1Ks at the airport Marriott. Any info on what others got?
The UA flight status page shows it's a 772 but now I see the seat map is for a 773, and FlightAware confirms the flight scheduled tomorrow is the same plane we were on today (https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N2748U). From what I gather, the others are at the Regal.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:47 am

UA 58 SFO to FRA diverted to IAD due to a medical emergency.
The airplane was on the ground for under 4 hours at IAD before continuing to FRA.

(I was scheduled to fly UA 59 - but the flight got delayed due to the incoming aircraft diversion).
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
The UA flight status page shows it's a 772 but now I see the seat map is for a 773, and FlightAware confirms the flight scheduled tomorrow is the same plane we were on today (https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N2748U). From what I gather, the others are at the Regal.
Thanks for your reply! Very interesting to learn these details Safe travels!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
The UA app says 2800 will be operated by 770-300ER #2148 , but there's no "Where is this aircraft coming from?" If true, that was the original aircraft.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
An hour or 2 before scheduled boarding, equipment swap from 787-9 to 787-8, so reduction in J from 48 to 36, as well as another ~20 pax in coach. I was connecting from IAH, mayhem at the gate, and all the folks who got cut were sent to desks landside. GS line & Polaris lounge staff had no idea what was going on. THIS is when being GS makes a difference, I just kept reloading itinerary on my phone, got a preferred J seat. Also now know that 787-8 can reach SFO-SIN (ok we’re still 4 hours away, but I’m still hopeful )
Ouch - I'd hate to be one of the downgraded ones. I'd imagine that if you paid cash for your ticket that you'd be either guaranteed one of the 36 or put on a partner airline I would assume.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
UA1009 IAH to BOG Jan 31

Hello, does anyone have insight on flight 1009 flying from IAH to BOG today Jan 31, app says it diverted to Panama City and flightradar24 shows it circling near BOG and returning to PTY. Unfortunately will be caught up in the subsequent delays. Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
It was diverted due to weather

P BOG/ETA 932A L03.38 EXTREME WEATHER
D FCF/DVRT PTY ENRT IAH-BOG A/EXTREME WEATHER
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
It was diverted due to weather
Dense fog.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Saturday (2/2) UA48 EWR-BOM is delayed 13 hours for maintenance, now leaving Sunday morning at 9:00AM.

The crew's flight back home, Tuesday (2/5) UA49 BOM-EWR, is delayed until 9:00AM.

Kudos to UA for the 2 day notice about the delay of the westbound flight, and extra kudos to the 1K line agent who immediately accepted my proposed backup plan!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat

UA870, SYD-SFO delayed 1 hour 45 minutes due to late crew / rest time.

This is the inbound aircraft for UA29 SFO-SIN at 10:55AM this morning. Call me crazy, but I think 29 (which I'm on) will be delayed... or at least won't board at 10:05AM as planned... it is a light load, so boarding might go quick, however, I suspect there will be some knock on delay. Thoughts?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
1h42 turn is relatively tight for an int'l widebody like that, but not outside of reason. I doubt there will be a significant delay, assuming there aren't other factors.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
February 6th, UA949, LHR-SFO, a pilot called in sick so flight took off as LHR-Bangor, Maine (BGR)-SFO arriving 4 hours late in SFO. Apparently, if I heard correctly, with 2 pilots they are only allowed a max of 7 hours flying so we had to divert to BGR and pick a new crew up. I would have thought that at LHR they would have had a couple of spare pilots kicking around waiting to be scrambled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.