FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by greenpau

Upthread I discussed the 750ml Coastal Vines as the only sparkling on my last SYD-SFO and PVG-SFO flights as well. It’s the pre-pour PDB sparkling used on all flights now - on these return trips they used this as the only sparkling as no champagne was loaded (and only one white remained). At trade volumes, duty free they get it at around $2.50 a bottle.

However, finally some good news! On my FRA-SFO this weekend, the Laurent-Perrier was also loaded and wines were plentiful. The Galley FA said they had “uplifted an additional liquor cart” in FRA that was fully provisioned. Perhaps they have finally corrected this after months of writing in
Yes, hopefully, finally.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Had my first post preplated meal flight GRU-IAD on 767 with the new Polaris seats. After reading numerous comments about the meals up thread, I was not expecting much food wise. Was pleasantly surprised as both the dinner and the breakfast I found to be fine, one of the better meals I have had. Had grilled beef tenderloin with red winw au jus, quinoa risotto with churizo and goat cheese, green beans, plantains, sun dried tomato. Portion wise, the main dish may have been a bit smaller, but it was enough for me. Breakfast was frittata, with Parmesan, spinach, tomato concasse, bacon, potatoes and fruit.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by qfrodo
Had my first post preplated meal flight GRU-IAD on 767 with the new Polaris seats. After reading numerous comments about the meals up thread, I was not expecting much food wise. Was pleasantly surprised as both the dinner and the breakfast I found to be fine, one of the better meals I have had. Had grilled beef tenderloin with red winw au jus, quinoa risotto with churizo and goat cheese, green beans, plantains, sun dried tomato. Portion wise, the main dish may have been a bit smaller, but it was enough for me. Breakfast was frittata, with Parmesan, spinach, tomato concasse, bacon, potatoes and fruit.
Did EZE-EWR this week and same menu choices.

My first post-preplated - slept on the outbound EWR-EZE after a Polaris lounge meal which wasn't very good in its own right.

Like your observation found that the servingware itself isn't the domestic casserole dish. It's large and deeper - basically the dish pmUA used to use in business class when they were an all 3-cabin operation, with some decorative corners.

We all have different expectations but I found the food and presentation to be pretty bad - both the shrimp and the chicken we had - dry, unflavorful, coach class type mash of stuff in a container.

But it's basically taking the page from the pmUA bare bones business class playbook - which was bottom of the pack then, and is even further behind now. They even used the same tongs to serve the dish.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
From my HKG-SFO flight a few days ago:

Fearing the worst, I first stopped off at a couple of lounges before boarding so I was plenty full but ordered a meal anyway.

The shrimp and salad appetizer with garlic bread.

If I had been blindfolded I would not have been able to recognize that the seafood was supposed to be shrimp. I don't know what the orange goop was underneath them. At least the salad was tasty. The bread was sad.

The vegetarian selection of "Asian Noodles", or something like that.

It was piping hot but most of the noodles were dried out. The veggies in sauce were okay. I'm really not a food snob but I think Panda Express makes better meals than this.

I didn't bother taking a photo of the sundae but the ice cream was maybe Dreyer's-level of quality. I skipped breakfast as I had enough of a layover to eat in the Polaris Lounge @sfo.

At least the FA on my side/section was calm and pleasant but not so on the other side as I saw them constantly rushing back and forth and seemed indifferent with customers. I saw no smiles over there.
Dhamal likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer

I too have been pleasantly surprised with the recent champagne offerings. Last week on SFO-HKG had the Laurent-Perrier. Today on MEL-LAX, the first bottle they opened was Devaux (really tasty) and subsequent bottles were Laurent-Perrier.

They also didn’t make me feel guilty for having multiple glasses, as they have done on previous flights.
This weekend I flew SYD-IAH and I believe they had one bottle of Devaux (which was excellent) and the rest was Laurent-Perrier. Maybe a UA ex-Australia pattern? What's up with the one bottle of Devaux?
FoxFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Excellent spicy chicken on LAX-LHR last night. Finished every bit of it despite having had a solid lunch at the Polaris lounge beforehand. A very generous portion too -- felt like there was more than usual somehow. Maybe LAX catering does larger portion sizes? The Southwestern omelette continues to hit the spot on arrival too, though I did hear one person complaining loudly to her seatmate that this wasn't the right flavour to have with eggs. Hope nobody listens to her!

The highlight however, was the person within earshot of my seat who when asked for their meal choice said "The Spicy Chicken please, but without the spicy sauce." Sure enough, it was served as just noodles and chicken, but the FA brought the sauce on the side "in case you want to try it." Remarkable, but at least it does confirm that this dish continues to be plated in the galley! [note that the quotes are paraphrased, I didn't actually take notes!]
cesco.g and jasonp622 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
One thing I noticed is seldom mentioned in this thread - Breakfast First flights. Some that come to mind are CDG-SFO (0910 departure), LHR-EWR (0800 departure), FCO-EWR (0855 departure), and GVA-EWR (0915 departure).

Since I'm sure even Gordon Ramsey couldn't figure out how to create a 5 course breakfas (7 of you count the nuts and bread basket)t, how do they do these flights? Do they have a multi-course pre-arrival meal? If so, is it the standard 5 course meal or is it abbreviated (maybe 3 courses).
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by phkc070408
One thing I noticed is seldom mentioned in this thread - Breakfast First flights. Some that come to mind are CDG-SFO (0910 departure), LHR-EWR (0800 departure), FCO-EWR (0855 departure), and GVA-EWR (0915 departure).

Since I'm sure even Gordon Ramsey couldn't figure out how to create a 5 course breakfas (7 of you count the nuts and bread basket)t, how do they do these flights? Do they have a multi-course pre-arrival meal? If so, is it the standard 5 course meal or is it abbreviated (maybe 3 courses).
Yogurt, fresh fruit, an omelette, cold cuts, and a cheese plate 5 courses Not too difficult. Add bread, you have six if you want count the bread basket.

Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
On my lhr-sfo flight, it was 3 choices for breakfast and just the chicken breast or charcuterie for landing. Pretty pathetic.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
On my lhr-sfo flight, it was 3 choices for breakfast and just the chicken breast or charcuterie for landing. Pretty pathetic.
Was it pretty much the same breakfast that is served as the pre-arrival meal on the LHs and ULHs, Course 1: Fruit, Yogurt, Pastry, Course 2: Choice of cereal, eggs with meat, or sometimes a third item?

Fortunately most of those flights are shorter TATLS and only have 5 of 6 hours between meals so you don't need to stuff yourself like you do on the LHs and ULHs where you won't be eating for 12 hours or more. LHR-SFO might be the only exception to this rule.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: 1K Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by EWR764

We need to be sending feedback after every flight. It really sounds unacceptable, and worst-in-class for an international premium product.
This! Please provide feedback early and often for the horrible decision to downgrade the Polaris experience.

(FYI: My first post!) OOPS, actually my fourth!

Last edited by 82Ag; Mar 17, 2019 at 9:19 am Reason: Incorrect info.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by phkc070408
We did CDG-SFO a few months ago. The first meal was the usual multi-course offering with yogurt plus overnight oats with mango and coconut as the appetizer. Four breakfast/brunch entree options then the cheese/sundae/treats cart. We both had breakfast in the CDG lounge so opted to sleep immediately after takeoff. The crew had no issue providing the express option four or five hours into the flight. They even kept the ice cream for our sundaes on dry ice so they were well tempered. Arrival meal was the usual single tray salad, chicken breast/deli plate, chocolate dessert affair. I thought it was all acceptable to quite good.

For all the bashing UA gets here, I'm always satisfied. I have tried others' business offerings from SFO to Europe—AY, KL, VS—but keep coming back because the UA experience is as good if not better.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA
PEK to ORD menu

Overall pretty tasty and a lot of food, I was never hungry at all during this flight. Not pictured: grilled cheese that was ordered and consumed groggily halfway through the flight.

Salad and starter

Beef tenderloin, mashed sweet potato, eggplant and asparagus

united sundae

chive omelet, smoked pork loin, chicken sausage, spinach
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
UA upping its champagne game?

Alfred Gratien served on FRA-SFO this past week. Quite nice and a noticeable upgrade from the Nicolas Feuillatte they had on my previous long haul.

If they stuck to Laurent Perrier La Cuvée as mentioned up thread, I’d be satisfied.
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by markedcw
We did CDG-SFO a few months ago. The first meal was the usual multi-course offering with yogurt plus overnight oats with mango and coconut as the appetizer. Four breakfast/brunch entree options then the cheese/sundae/treats cart. We both had breakfast in the CDG lounge so opted to sleep immediately after takeoff. The crew had no issue providing the express option four or five hours into the flight. They even kept the ice cream for our sundaes on dry ice so they were well tempered. Arrival meal was the usual single tray salad, chicken breast/deli plate, chocolate dessert affair. I thought it was all acceptable to quite good.

For all the bashing UA gets here, I'm always satisfied. I have tried others' business offerings from SFO to Europe—AY, KL, VS—but keep coming back because the UA experience is as good if not better.
Yikes, having a sundae right after breakfast? IMHO, UA should hold the sundae until after the prearrival meal...or does the dry ice logistics not make this possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.