Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Based on the reviews so far, I have a EWR to PEK flight coming up, I should hit the Boar's head sandwich shop in EWR prior to my flight.. considering the Happy meals don;t look edible nor a decent size.
MatthewLAX and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
I miss those times. CO published their menus on their site (& were almost always correct), you could select these cheese you wanted & they generally had an edible steak.

WOW!--I would love to see a simple steak in Polaris! Haven't even touched the short ribs in almost 2 years!
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dhamal
Based on the reviews so far, I have a EWR to PEK flight coming up, I should hit the Boar's head sandwich shop in EWR prior to my flight.. considering the Happy meals don;t look edible nor a decent size.
Or the PL to grab a bite .............
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
WOW!--I would love to see a simple steak in Polaris! Haven't even touched the short ribs in almost 2 years!
When I first flew CO just after the merger news was announced, I was so impressed with their BusinessFirsrt catering (had a really nice piece of juicy NY cut Sirlion steak). I was hoping PMUA could raise its onboard meals quality to the level of PMCO. Sadly, now we are below the level of PMUA level..... I went through my meal photo collection during the Chapter 11 period, and noted PMUA was serving better quality food and more portions than the overhyped Polaris meals UA is dishing out today.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Mar 9, 2019 at 6:14 am
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I have not seen Piper-Heidsieck on TPAC routes. But I'm at the SFO Polaris Lounge now, enjoying a said glass. Possibly two, as UA sadly seems to run out of the bubbles on their long Pacific flights.
I must eat my words. On a recent flight SFO-TPE in C, they were serving Laurent-Perrier champagne, and they did not run out! The flight left on time, arrived on time, and when I asked, they offered PJs. <shock>
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Sadly, my recent flights to/from ICN & PVG had only that Coastal Vines sparkling wine. I have another set coming up later this month and I have already lowered my expectations as I fully expect another round of that crap.
restlessinRNO likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:39 am Reason: FIFY not allowed
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Sadly, my recent flights to/from ICN & PVG had only that Coastal Vines sparkling wine. I have another set coming up later this month and I have already lowered my expectations as I fully expect another round of that crap.
Coastal Vines in 750ml bottles, as the main sparkling wine? I've seen sparkling wine of that (low) caliber in splits for PDB and in the Y/C liquor kits, but never that cheap as the full-size business class sparkling wine inflight. That would be a travesty...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by EWR764
Coastal Vines in 750ml bottles, as the main sparkling wine? I've seen sparkling wine of that (low) caliber in splits for PDB and in the Y/C liquor kits, but never that cheap as the full-size business class sparkling wine inflight. That would be a travesty...
Oh yes. On flights from SFO-ICN and PVG to LAX. I think I saw prices of something like $7 for it.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Fixed it for you.

Oh the humanity! Pass the Grey Poupon
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Is this happening only on return trips (given UA’s round trip catering), or out of hub stations as well? Hoping my SFO-FRA flight next month boards the real stuff, ughh. Taking my parents on a special trip.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I must eat my words. On a recent flight SFO-TPE in C, they were serving Laurent-Perrier champagne, and they did not run out! The flight left on time, arrived on time, and when I asked, they offered PJs. <shock>
I too have been pleasantly surprised with the recent champagne offerings. Last week on SFO-HKG had the Laurent-Perrier. Today on MEL-LAX, the first bottle they opened was Devaux (really tasty) and subsequent bottles were Laurent-Perrier.

They also didn’t make me feel guilty for having multiple glasses, as they have done on previous flights.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by globetraveler

Is this happening only on return trips (given UA’s round trip catering), or out of hub stations as well? Hoping my SFO-FRA flight next month boards the real stuff, ughh. Taking my parents on a special trip.

This was on my outbound SFO-ICN and my return PVG-LAX.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by globetraveler

Hopefully a one-off. I've never had the misfortune of seeing full-size 750ml bottles of such low-end stuff provisioned as the main business class sparkling wine on UA.

Originally Posted by FoxFlyer

I too have been pleasantly surprised with the recent champagne offerings. Last week on SFO-HKG had the Laurent-Perrier. Today on MEL-LAX, the first bottle they opened was Devaux (really tasty) and subsequent bottles were Laurent-Perrier.

They also didn’t make me feel guilty for having multiple glasses, as they have done on previous flights.
I'd be much more satisfied with the smaller, lower-quality portions of the main meals if UA consistently boards better Champagne... perhaps I'm in the minority there.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'd be much more satisfied with the smaller, lower-quality portions of the main meals if UA consistently boards better Champagne... perhaps I'm in the minority there.
Non-drinker here so I'm in the opposite camp.
flaii and EWR764 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Hopefully a one-off. I've never had the misfortune of seeing full-size 750ml bottles of such low-end stuff provisioned as the main business class sparkling wine on UA.

Upthread I discussed the 750ml Coastal Vines as the only sparkling on my last SYD-SFO and PVG-SFO flights as well. It’s the pre-pour PDB sparkling used on all flights now - on these return trips they used this as the only sparkling as no champagne was loaded (and only one white remained). At trade volumes, duty free they get it at around $2.50 a bottle.

However, finally some good news! On my FRA-SFO this weekend, the Laurent-Perrier was also loaded and wines were plentiful. The Galley FA said they had “uplifted an additional liquor cart” in FRA that was fully provisioned. Perhaps they have finally corrected this after months of writing in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.