FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
11/1 IAD-LHR UA 918

Asked for express service with only the sundae and cheese plate, wanted to maximize sleep and noshed in the club

Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Hmmm....on the Arrivals lounge for Polaris, will this be true at EWR as well? Flying VCE-EWR-SFO with a layover in EWR.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Hmmm....on the Arrivals lounge for Polaris, will this be true at EWR as well? Flying VCE-EWR-SFO with a layover in EWR.
Yes. What made you think it was exempt? I flew MXP - EWR - LAX and visited the EWR Polaris lounge.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by seat38a
Yes. What made you think it was exempt? I flew MXP - EWR - LAX and visited the EWR Polaris lounge.
My thought was that the Polaris Lounge wouldn't be considered an "Arrivals Lounge".
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
My thought was that the Polaris Lounge wouldn't be considered an "Arrivals Lounge".
There are separate "Arrival Lounge" located at SFO and LHR only. These lounges are for Polaris passengers who arrive before noon at SFO and 2pm for LHR. The two Arrival Lounges are located post customs on the street side with no need to clear security. Polaris Lounge has pre-departure, connection and arrival access for Polaris Business Class passengers.

Here's LHR's Arrival Lounge from when I visited last December.

They have a buffet with pastries and stuff but you order hot food from a menu.

BlueZebra likes this.

Last edited by seat38a; Nov 3, 2019 at 5:56 am
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: united
I flew HKG-SFO yesterday, upgraded into Polaris.

I feared the worst reading this thread. I was pleasantly surprised.

The prawns appetizer with pumpkin tasted weird. And the dinner roll wasn't warmed enough.

But everything else was excellent:

1. Delicious dinner salad.

2. Main course was beef tenderloin with au grautin potatoes. The beef was rare and tasted like filet mignon. The potatoes were to die for.

3. Dessert was a sundae. Hard to screw up and UA didn't.

4. Snacks included cheese and cracker plates and hot chicken curry over rice prepared by the FA's. Delicious.

5. Breakfast was a flavorful smoked salmon frittata with yogurt, and this time the bread was warm.
seat38a and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by dilanesp

Nice review ^

Re: sundae...UA gets that right most of the times IME, which is great, but they have -on occasion- been harder than the bowl they were served in. I guess they could also be runny, although I can't recall that ever having been the case.

So UA definitely has the "potential" to screw that up......also!
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
UA FRA-IAH Menu October 2019

Flew this late October

Had the beef, which was in its usual well done state. Service was quite good, the FA serving our side even knew what red wines they had. ^
Did not have the pre-arrival as I had a 3 hour layover so figured I'd eat in the IAH Polaris lounge.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by fivesixseven
They start a 2nd daily flight next year.
Good to know!
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:19 pm

I flew HKG-SFO yesterday, upgraded into Polaris.

I feared the worst reading this thread. I was pleasantly surprised.

The prawns appetizer with pumpkin tasted weird. And the dinner roll wasn't warmed enough.

But everything else was excellent:

1. Delicious dinner salad.

2. Main course was beef tenderloin with au grautin potatoes. The beef was rare and tasted like filet mignon. The potatoes were to die for.

4. Snacks included cheese and cracker plates and hot chicken curry over rice prepared by the FA's. Delicious.

5. Breakfast was a flavorful smoked salmon frittata with yogurt, and this time the bread was warm.
I used to avoid United like the plague for international flying from reading posts on this forum. Flew Business First because I had no other reasonable choice. Fearing the worst even while walking down the jetbridge to the plane. Have been flying United for international since. I have yet to have one of those grumpy, mean, old, fat and ugly FA who hates their jobs and out to make passengers miserable, which the usual suspects seem to run into frequently on here, but it could be that I say please and thank you and make eye contact with each request. On my last 2 segments, I could tell the FA was getting annoyed with some of my fellow passengers in FC. [Moderator edit-language Rule 16].
markedcw likes this.

Last edited by Pat89339; Nov 3, 2019 at 10:46 pm Reason: Rule 16 violation- https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by seat38a
I used to avoid United like the plague for international flying from reading posts on this forum. Flew Business First because I had no other reasonable choice. Fearing the worst even while walking down the jetbridge to the plane. Have been flying United for international since. I have yet to have one of those grumpy, mean, old, fat and ugly FA who hates their jobs and out to make passengers miserable, but it could be that I say please and thank you and make eye contact with each request. On my last 2 segments, I could tell the FA was getting annoyed with some of my fellow passengers in FC. [Moderator edit-language Rule 16].
I thank the FA for every little thing they do for me, even taking a piece of trash, no matter what class of service I am in. I hope everyone does.

Last edited by Pat89339; Nov 3, 2019 at 10:50 pm Reason: Edit quote
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I thank the FA for every little thing they do for me, even taking a piece of trash, no matter what class of service I am in. I hope everyone does.
I do the same. Though there is no excuse for poor service we never know what private hell a FA is experiencing that day. I have no cause to add to it.
jazzhou and seat38a like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
I do the same. Though there is no excuse for poor service we never know what private hell a FA is experiencing that day. I have no cause to add to it.
Unfortunately I see way more rude than polite and courteous or whining about things thats out of the FA's control, like complaining about the brand of vodka being served aboard.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum / 1MM
TUE, 15OCT19 UA0863 SFO to SYD

Here is the menu from our recent trip to Sydney. The pasta was tasty, hubby said the short rib was fatty.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum / 1MM
FRI, 01NOV19 UA870 SYD to SFO

I had the chicken which was just ok and not as described. It was a large chicken breast covered in a red sauce with no stuffing. Hubby had the pasta and said it was bland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.