FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Yeah, I had the seared beef short rib on UA960 EWR-FRA on 16-AUG-2019 and it was really good. The service on the flight was excellent as well! I thought I grabbed a picture of the menu, but guess not. The other dish I noticed was a Burrata Ravioli I think, I can't recall what the chicken or fish dishes were.

My favorite thing from the desert cart are those little apple pies, which they had - they are a tad sweet for my taste, but just one of them is enough to cure the post meal sweet tooth before heading off to sleep! In addition to the little apple pies, they had a mini cheesecake and some little caramel & coconut bar (I think that is what she said).
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
The plating on BA Club these days looks so much better.
Not just the plating, but the food itself. I had two flights in BA Club Europe earlier this month, and both meals blew away what I got on my TATL in UA Polaris.
UA_Flyer, MatthewLAX and Artpen100 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by econ

Not just the plating, but the food itself. I had two flights in BA Club Europe earlier this month, and both meals blew away what I got on my TATL in UA Polaris.
Just don't get beef, especially outbound from LHR.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by econ
BA changed to Do&Co with their catering last year. So like OS and TK, they have much better food and presentation.
EWR764, Artpen100 and oopl like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Gold
Menu on UA 961 FRA-EWR last week:

No PDB, no mid-flight snack cart (just a sparsely stocked tray of chips and fruit placed on bulkhead in front of 1F, and not restocked when low). Overheard someone ask about a PDB, and FA basically responded that they were trying to get the [already delayed] flight out, and they didn’t have time to serve PDB. Ok...I get that, but the way the FA responded to that pax was pretty curt.

Overall I found the FA’s to be quite unprofessional, although the one who took my food/drink orders was at least friendly (on the few occasions I saw him). Example: when taking my meal order, he came at me with “Whatcha got for me?” I haven’t even encountered that when riding back in PE, where I usually am.

And yes, the [luke]warm nuts were pretty awful.

Last edited by IADdelayed; Aug 19, 2019 at 7:39 am Reason: Add content
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:59 pm

Took UA 901 SFO-LHR a couple of days ago. Same menu as other recent US to Europe flights posted above. Even though I’ve had it more than the other appetizers in the rotation, I like the smoked duck enough that I didn’t mind getting it again. First time trying the burrata ravioli—also quite satisfying. Only off note was the Courvoiseir or lack of. It was listed on the menu but the purser serving my aisle couldn’t find it. He reported back that he checked all the liquor kits on board in fact. I settled for a Buffalo Trace and 12,500 on-the-spot bonus miles as an apology. Speaking of the purser, he and the other attendant working the forward cabin were outstanding. Service was delivered flawlessly but they recognized my husband and I were traveling together because we’d put the divider between our D and G seats down so they engaged on a genuine level. We wound up chatting for several minutes after service concluded but before landing about favorite London sights, restaurants, etc. One of the best flights I’ve had in the 30+ years we’ve been flying CO/UA forward cabins.
Portgal and st530 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by markedcw
Took UA 901 SFO-LHR a couple of days ago. Same menu as other recent US to Europe flights posted above. Even though I’ve had it more than the other appetizers in the rotation, I like the smoked duck enough that I didn’t mind getting it again. First time trying the burrata ravioli—also quite satisfying. Only off note was the Courvoiseir or lack of. It was listed on the menu but the purser serving my aisle couldn’t find it. He reported back that he checked all the liquor kits on board in fact. I settled for a Buffalo Trace and 12,500 on-the-spot bonus miles as an apology. Speaking of the purser, he and the other attendant working the forward cabin were outstanding. Service was delivered flawlessly but they recognized my husband and I were traveling together because we’d put the divider between our D and G seats down so they engaged on a genuine level. We wound up chatting for several minutes after service concluded but before landing about favorite London sights, restaurants, etc. One of the best flights I’ve had in the 30+ years we’ve been flying CO/UA forward cabins.
Wow, 12,500 for no cognac. I didn't even get that for a broken monitor on a ps transcons last week!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:13 pm

My last flight someone asked for tomato soup - which wasn’t on the menu. What else is available that they don’t publish?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by letsbeadventurers
My last flight someone asked for tomato soup - which wasn’t on the menu. What else is available that they don’t publish?
It depends on the flight.

Don't be shy, always ask!
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Wow, 12,500 for no cognac. I didn't even get that for a broken monitor on a ps transcons last week!
I'm going to start asking for cognac.
iluv2fly, rch4u, st530 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
UA835 ORD-PVG 6/28/19

After there were vintage Champagnes on my flights last month, I was disappointed that the Champagne on this flight was non-vintage. I had never heard of it: Beaumont des Crayeres. It was just average. I really dislike when for the refills they take my glass to the galley. Who knows, maybe what they served was the California sparkling wine.....
ORD-KEF 8/18. Mrs Milepig asked for Champange and was told it’s Prosecco. Knowing that KEF is Polaris minus, I asked, no champers on this route? And the FA replied “UA NEVER has Champange on any flight, hasn’t for years” I said even TPAC? To which he replies “no, never”. I just let it go and and had a Scotch.

Originally Posted by findark
I had a domestic flight with 100% cold unsalted almonds, so it could be worse
Similarly soggy nuts on the KEF flight.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
And at least for ORD the buffet offering is a significant downgrade from what they had last year. On a few of my visits I ended up eating nothing. Even the nice inhouse made chips are replaced by banana chips.
ORD POLARIS on 8/18 was pretty much like the regular club, down to the eternal ravioli. Also exactly the same for lunch and dinner.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:28 am

Menu EWR-NRT July 2019

Folks - see menu on United EWR-NRT as of July 2019

Last edited by missko; Aug 22, 2019 at 9:41 am Reason: Fixed incorrect year
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by letsbeadventurers
Vegan chili often on FRA-ORD now. Not quite as good as the beef/spaetzle on offer previously, but still pretty good IMO.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by wco81
I'm going to start asking for cognac.
United removed cognac last year. They are just now returning it to some international flights in Polaris Class only so it may be on some flights, but not others while catering transitions. All flight attendants have the ability (but not necessarily the inclination) to give you mileage or travel certificate compensation if you are unhappy with something...like lack of cognac.
cesco.g and EWR764 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Whyme
United removed cognac last year. They are just now returning it to some international flights in Polaris Class only so it may be on some flights, but not others while catering transitions. All flight attendants have the ability (but not necessarily the inclination) to give you mileage or travel certificate compensation if you are unhappy with something...like lack of cognac.

Has it been on the menu cards recently?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.