FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by globetraveler
Couldn’t agree more on the density issue with the new Polaris product. Having more seats means diminished service quality- the FA’s can’t see when you need anything. This explains the lack of refills on any beverages.
Seems like a poor excuse by the FAs, nothing more.
J seat-count of the sCO 772 is the same as the polarized version (50), and if I need something, I'll use the call button if I can't get a FA's attention with visual cues.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
I may have missed a couple of posts, has anyone experienced the new mandatory “express dining service” on late TATL flights out of IAD?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyme2
I had the poached cod on my FRA-EWR flight a couple of days ago. Everything on the plate was overcooked. This was not the case pre-Polaris, when fish dishes could be quite good. I picked at the meal, and decided to skip all else in favour of visiting the Polaris Lounge upon my arrival in EWR. In the lounge, I had the salmon, which was absolutely delicious. I can't wait for the PL to open in IAD.

Cod in Polaris cabin:
img
Cod in Polaris Cabin

Salmon in Polaris Lounge:

img
Salmon in Polaris Lounge
Fish has always been a bit of a gamble on board — I've had that dish properly heated, which was pleasant, and I've had other fish overdone before the change to one-plating. But it is probably more of a gamble now since the change limits how much attention the FA needs to afford the heating and therefore how much attention the FA does afford.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
April 5
UA58
SFO-FRA
777-300ER

Great Polaris flight from SFO-FRA (apart from the 2 hour delay and the missed connection in FRA). Decent appetizer (duck), tasty ginger chicken (although the FA warned me that the ginger was overpowering, I enjoyed it), reliable desserts and boring pre-arrival eggs. I was worried I would be starving based on all the discussion here, but I found the portions were good and kept me satisfied all flight. I did think the service seemed a bit more discombobulated than I'm used too, but it still was appropriately timed and fairly solid. Seat 9A (or 9L on my way back) are the definite winners and helped me get a solid 6.5 hours of sleep.

Dhamal, narvik and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Here's from UA7 IAH-NRT on 17APR. Forgot to get a pic of the Japanese main, but it was excellent

narvik likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
UA195
MUC-SFO
11:55 AM - 2:30 PM

Lunch / Snack / Snack

Great meals on this flight. Garlic bread had so much garlic I thought I was flying ex-NRT. Full ramekin of nuts and only minus points for the nasty/sugary mango dressing.

Look at how the main course was plated...I thought it was old times. Others choices (pasta, fish, beef) served in casserole dishes. The mushroom-stuffed chicken breast was tasty.

Ice cream for dessert wtih coffee (instant decaf is better than filter...)

Mid-flight snack was grilled cheese sandwich with beef chili.

Prior to landing chicken with gnocchi or Pizza Margherita. I had the pizza and found it to be tasty, though it needed more sauce and cheese. Nice (very German) cucumber salad.

Dhamal and narvik like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
UA195
MUC-SFO
11:55 AM - 2:30 PM

Lunch / Snack / Snack

Great meals on this flight. Garlic bread had so much garlic I thought I was flying ex-NRT. Full ramekin of nuts and only minus points for the nasty/sugary mango dressing.

Look at how the main course was plated...I thought it was old times. Others choices (pasta, fish, beef) served in casserole dishes. The mushroom-stuffed chicken breast was tasty.

Ice cream for dessert wtih coffee (instant decaf is better than filter...)

Mid-flight snack was grilled cheese sandwich with beef chili.

Prior to landing chicken with gnocchi or Pizza Margherita. I had the pizza and found it to be tasty, though it needed more sauce and cheese. Nice (very German) cucumber salad.

So has the heating everything together in one casserole dish thing been quietly rolled back?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
UA84
EWR-TLV

Boeing 787-10
Meal: Dinner, breakfast

Originally booked on the later flight UA90 which only had 20 out of 60 booked because of Passover, but given the travel waiver, moved to the earlier flight which was only 37 out of 44 booked. Meal service was extra speedy and efficient, everything was cleared by 1h30min after takeoff. Maximized my sleep in rather narrow but manageable 787 Polaris seat. My first time on UA787-10, which reminded me of equally narrow seats on SQ787-10. I also saw passengers with pajamas (as indicated on menu card), was not aware that EWR-TLV was a pajama-eligible route.

Menu

Appetizer

Main - ginger chicken

Dessert - sundae and cheesecake

Breakfast - cereal
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Had the sauteed chicken on PEK-EWR today - pretty solid. The ice cream also was above-average as well, IMO. The grilled cheese, however, was definitely worse relative to the version I had on EWR-HKG. The FAs also forgot to give me the tomato soup, but since I was having it as the arrival meal, I didn't bother chasing after it.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
UA998
BRU-EWR

Boeing 777-200
Meal: Lunch, snack

Econ was oversold and even with some op-up, only 30 out of 50 seats occupied, and only 6 seats taken in the aft business cabin. Meal service was done in less than 2h.

Champagne was Lanson
Menu

Appetizer

Main - beef

Dessert - macaron and sundae

Pre-arrival snack - chicken
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by hirohito888
UA998
BRU-EWR

Boeing 777-200
Meal: Lunch, snack

Econ was oversold and even with some op-up, only 30 out of 50 seats occupied, and only 6 seats taken in the aft business cabin. Meal service was done in less than 2h.

Champagne was Lanson
Menu

Appetizer

Main - beef

Dessert - macaron and sundae

Pre-arrival snack - chicken
Caprese salad looks fresh and tasty. Beef looks kinda hurting.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
April 24, EWR-PEK

Chose the Ginseng chicken bowl for the first time. Was quite nice.
Champagne was Piper-Heidsieck 2008, and free flowing.

Service was good. Arrived early. Nice flight.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
UA35 SFO-KIX
Menu

Japanese option

Sundae

Breakfast

UA902 NRT-HNL
Menu

Appetizer

Grilled Salmon - was kinda bland, but after squeezing that lemon wedge made it much better

Sundae & Mochi
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lmwong1977
Sundae & Mochi
Hope you were the one who took a bite out of the mochi!

David
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:13 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
4/23 EWR-FRA -- Had Ginseng chicken again. Excellent. Wish they gave you a spoon with the meal. The morning omelette was disgusting as usual swimming is some sort of cheese sauce. Flight crew was really bad. No distribution of water bottles. Who knows if they were even loaded. Woke up severely dehydrated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.