Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade bait and switch {refund processed}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileageplus

Last week I flew United non-stop from SFO to LHR. I booked a seat in Economy Plus) I am a Platinum member) but requested an upgrade to business with miles + copay. This did not clear the waitlist, which is not unusual for such a busy route. Upon boarding I found myself seated in row 20, which is apparently "Premium Plus". I thought this was not available until March next year so just assumed it was a stroke of luck while they are fitting the planes out. However, I've now realized that United pocketed the copay and miles for the business class upgrade and provided an inferior product.

OK, the seat is a bit better than Econ Plus, but otherwise the service was absolutely identical. The possibility of being placed in Premium Plus was not mentioned when I requested the upgrade. As far as I'm concerned this is an outright bait-and-switch. Would anyone seriously pay the same for an upgrade to Premium Plus as to Business ?

I'm curious if anyone else has had the same experience. I have asked UA to refund the fee, but I would be surprised if they do given past interactions with customer service.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
United is not yet selling Premium Plus. So, forget that you sat in it when you write to United to request a refund of the miles and copay for your unsuccessful upgrade.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ag2018
However, I've now realized that United pocketed the copay and miles for the business class upgrade and provided an inferior product.
How did you determine this? Did you ask UA and this was the response you received? Did you request a refund and it was denied? More info is needed.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
May seem like a bait and switch but United announced, some time ago, that they would begin selling their Premium Plus product on Dec 3rd. That said, the T&Cs for miles/copay is listed online. Details here: Miles & Copay T&Cs. Appears that you are eligible for a full refund. I would contact UA and ask about the status. It can take a few days to get that refund.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ag2018
Last week I flew United non-stop from SFO to LHR. I booked a seat in Economy Plus) I am a Platinum member) but requested an upgrade to business with miles + copay. This did not clear the waitlist, which is not unusual for such a busy route. Upon boarding I found myself seated in row 20, which is apparently "Premium Plus". I thought this was not available until March next year so just assumed it was a stroke of luck while they are fitting the planes out. However, I've now realized that United pocketed the copay and miles for the business class upgrade and provided an inferior product.

OK, the seat is a bit better than Econ Plus, but otherwise the service was absolutely identical. The possibility of being placed in Premium Plus was not mentioned when I requested the upgrade. As far as I'm concerned this is an outright bait-and-switch. Would anyone seriously pay the same for an upgrade to Premium Plus as to Business ?

I'm curious if anyone else has had the same experience. I have asked UA to refund the fee, but I would be surprised if they do given past interactions with customer service.
sorry, if you already flew, you weren’t charged anything for an upgrade to seats for a cabin they are not yet selling - as correctly mentioned, premium plus is on sale, but missing is it’s not for flights until sometime in March. Seems like the copay and miles have simply not been returned yet. That can take a few days.

Originally Posted by sannmann
United is not yet selling Premium Plus. So, forget that you sat in it when you write to United to request a refund of the miles and copay for your unsuccessful upgrade.
this. If it’s been a few days and you haven’t received either mileage or copay back, then request a refund. It should be done automatically (I know I have been, in the past), but there are occasional reports of this not always happening. In these cases, requesting it back usually gets you the miles back immediately, and the copay goes back on your card within about a week.

Originally Posted by mh3265a
May seem like a bait and switch but United announced, some time ago, that they would begin selling their Premium Plus product on Dec 3rd. That said, the T&Cs for miles/copay is listed online. Details here: Miles & Copay T&Cs. Appears that you are eligible for a full refund. I would contact UA and ask about the status. It can take a few days to get that refund.
yes - selling PP but for flights beginning in March. OP was not upgraded - they sat in an E+ seat that happened to be part of the new PP cabin. But shouldn’t be treated any differently from any other E+ seat now, so yes, refund should be pending.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Not only is P+ only on sale for end March onward, but for SFO-LHR they’re only for sale on the 77W.

Last week's SFO-LHR flights were on 772 and several of them (including my UA930 on 12/20) got Polaris/P+ swaps. Those in rows 20-22 therefore got P+ seats but were still in Economy/E+. OP and I may have been on the same flight; I tried out a couple of P+ seats for a couple of minutes at the start of boarding (very nice they are) before returning to my Polaris seat 15L.

I suspect a delay in returning the miles/copay due to the holidays. I passed 150K PQM on that flight and as of yesterday my additional GPUs hadn’t been credited. I’m giving it a couple more days before calling in.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It would be helpful if OP explained the measures he has taken and whether UA has denied the refund he is due.
Miggles likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
I flew SFO-LHR earlier this month (mid December). Requested Miles+co-pay to upgrade but miles never deducted and co-pay was in pending state. Credit card charge eventually dropped after the flight as upgrade was not successful.

I thought UA changed the process as all my previous Miles+Co-pay upgrade requests were always miles deducted/credit card charged and refund afterwards if upgrade did not happen.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
I tried out a couple of P+ seats for a couple of minutes at the start of boarding (very nice they are) before returning to my Polaris seat 15L.
I don't like them at all and certainly wouldn't pay anything for an upgrade from E+.
DManzaluni likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2018 at 1:11 pm Reason: removed response to deleted content; discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You're sort of correct. UA will gladly let you sit in P+ and keep your miles/money. If you ask for the miles/money persistently enough, they'll give it back.

Some call it broken IT, but it seems intentional enough to me, even if it doesn't match their written claims in marketing materials.
LASUA1K likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL Silver, SW, BA, AC 25k, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
You're sort of correct. UA will gladly let you sit in P+ and keep your miles/money. If you ask for the miles/money persistently enough, they'll give it back.

Some call it broken IT, but it seems intentional enough to me, even if it doesn't match their written claims in marketing materials.
This is incorrect. The refund process is automatically triggered if you fly all of the segments without an upgrade clearing. It is definitely possible that the refund can be held up or not triggered for some reason though. As others have said, this just sounds like a case of the refund taking a few days. There is technically no Premium Plus flying until March (even if the seats are out there) so there is no possibility of using an MUA into it until then.
Miggles likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brooks_87
This is incorrect. The refund process is automatically triggered if you fly all of the segments without an upgrade clearing.
LOL, nope, been flying UACO too long to believe that.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by mduell

Yeah, a convenient IT problem combined with a confusing new UG scheme will allow for abuse. I am skeptical of the new language allowing you to to waitlist for either P+ or biz. It seems to me that UA is actively devaluing GPUs.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given that nobody has flown in P+ yet, it is a little early.

However, I have no question but that one of the long-term purposes of PE on all three legacy carriers is to have it be an upgrade vehicle to protect the premium products whatever carriers want to call them, e.g. Polaris, D1, F or J).
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileageplus
Thanks for the comments. I talked to Mileage Plus customer service today. They confirmed that this was done in error and that I should not have been charged miles or copay. They redeposited the miles and put in a request for the copay to be refunded.

Possibly of more interest; my opinion of PP is that it's an improvement over EP but would have to be priced right to make it worthwhile. I would rate PP is to EP as EP is to regular economy, which is similar to my previous experience on Singapore Airlines PP equivalent. It's not a radical improvement for a long haul flight. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.