FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade bait and switch {refund processed}
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:35 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ag2018
Last week I flew United non-stop from SFO to LHR. I booked a seat in Economy Plus) I am a Platinum member) but requested an upgrade to business with miles + copay. This did not clear the waitlist, which is not unusual for such a busy route. Upon boarding I found myself seated in row 20, which is apparently "Premium Plus". I thought this was not available until March next year so just assumed it was a stroke of luck while they are fitting the planes out. However, I've now realized that United pocketed the copay and miles for the business class upgrade and provided an inferior product.

OK, the seat is a bit better than Econ Plus, but otherwise the service was absolutely identical. The possibility of being placed in Premium Plus was not mentioned when I requested the upgrade. As far as I'm concerned this is an outright bait-and-switch. Would anyone seriously pay the same for an upgrade to Premium Plus as to Business ?

I'm curious if anyone else has had the same experience. I have asked UA to refund the fee, but I would be surprised if they do given past interactions with customer service.
sorry, if you already flew, you weren’t charged anything for an upgrade to seats for a cabin they are not yet selling - as correctly mentioned, premium plus is on sale, but missing is it’s not for flights until sometime in March. Seems like the copay and miles have simply not been returned yet. That can take a few days.

Originally Posted by sannmann
United is not yet selling Premium Plus. So, forget that you sat in it when you write to United to request a refund of the miles and copay for your unsuccessful upgrade.
this. If it’s been a few days and you haven’t received either mileage or copay back, then request a refund. It should be done automatically (I know I have been, in the past), but there are occasional reports of this not always happening. In these cases, requesting it back usually gets you the miles back immediately, and the copay goes back on your card within about a week.

Originally Posted by mh3265a
May seem like a bait and switch but United announced, some time ago, that they would begin selling their Premium Plus product on Dec 3rd. That said, the T&Cs for miles/copay is listed online. Details here: Miles & Copay T&Cs. Appears that you are eligible for a full refund. I would contact UA and ask about the status. It can take a few days to get that refund.
yes - selling PP but for flights beginning in March. OP was not upgraded - they sat in an E+ seat that happened to be part of the new PP cabin. But shouldn’t be treated any differently from any other E+ seat now, so yes, refund should be pending.