Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Tips are not expected in Polaris lounges, but employees are allowed to accept them.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Print Wikipost

Tipping in Polaris lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
This is definitely not the origin of the word "tips", which is much older than the oldest known acronym in English.
Well professor any other idea how it was derived? I guess I could "Goggle It". My source as I recall was from my father many years back, he was a "rag man" in NYC not a linguist and from my posts you know that I am far from a linguist as well.. :-)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: United 1K
I always tip in the lounge, especially if they are making me a drink or if I order food from a menu. The First Class lounge at LHR is a great example. They pour me champagne, mix me a drink, take my order, bring me food. Just like a restaurant. I always leave them 5 pounds or so, depending on what I have on me. Not that much considering the quality of the food.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by nomad420
Well professor any other idea how it was derived? I guess I could "Goggle It". My source as I recall was from my father many years back, he was a "rag man" in NYC not a linguist and from my posts you know that I am far from a linguist as well.. :-)
The etymology is not completely clear, but it is definitely not an acronym.
1015-1k, chavala and kaffir76 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Originally Posted by physioprof
The etymology is not completely clear, but it is definitely not an acronym.
That’s right.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tip-sheet/
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
This whole conversation is ridiculous. What restaurant or bar would you go to and not tip? I hope none.
Exactly! We are talking about an airport lounge not a restaurant or bar.
Xyzzy, wxguy, narvik and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
For me. No, nope and nah. Next I'll be tipping a random stranger for standing next to me. For me this is a step too far....
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:51 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Visconti
Couldn't agree more.

While I can both understand and appreciate the criticism tipping receives in countries where it's not the custom, I don't understand this sentiment in America. Bartenders are tipped everywhere in the USA, from hotels to dive bars, why not in an Airline lounge? Now, for those who prefer not to tip, fine; but, frankly, I'm puzzled by some of the subtle resentment towards those who do.
I'd like to pour my softdrink myself without having to fork over the value of at least a whole bottle of soda to a person doing it for me. Works fine in most countries.

HTB.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:33 pm

Indeed.com information (I don't have a glassdoor account)

Per Indeed, $16.19 average hourly salary

https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Bart...n-Francisco-CA

(Former) bartender review of the job:
Reviews for Bartender in Sodexo
Disorganized and unfulfilled promisesBartender (Former Employee) – San Francisco SFO – January 18, 2019I was a Bartender in the brand new Polaris Lounge at SFO. ( though the job title is Mixologist LOL!!) There was often little to no communication between management and staff. We ran out of product and supplies often. We were not allowed to have any tips remain on the bar top for more than a few seconds. The tips were to be pulled down immediately and hidden. Most Bartenders that were skilled quit right away. New staff was just brought in with little or no experience. I am not wanting to burn bridges( though I know this will), but I really wasn't happy working there.
ProsVery few tips at timesConsNo tips from many guests

Job itself (Sodexo), clearly identified as a no-tipping position.

Sodexo Inc. - MIXOLOGIST/BARTENDER NON-TIPPED - UNITED POLARIS

MIXOLOGIST/BARTENDER NON-TIPPED - UNITED POLARIS

Description/Job Summary

Job Overview:
The Bartender will provide exceptional customer service, and mix and serve drinks to patrons, directly or through wait staff, quickly and without waste. Bartenders must work well with wait staff and other staff to ensure that customers receive prompt service. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but Sodexo may identify other responsibilities of the position. These responsibilities may differ among accounts, depending on business necessities and client requirements.

General Responsibilities:
  • Greets guests, mixes and serves alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks and creates drink recipes with appropriate garnishes.
  • Checks identification of customers to verify age requirements for purchase of alcohol.
  • Bartenders should be friendly, tactful and attentive when dealing with customers.
  • Takes beverage orders from serving staff or directly from patrons.
  • Slices and pits fruit for garnishing drinks.
  • Arranges bar/cart supplies and glasses to make attractive displays.
  • Maintains bar/cart area in a neat and sanitary manner.
  • Cleans glasses, utensils, and bar equipment; cleans bars, work areas and tables.
  • Records all sales, collects money, operates a cash/credit card/electronic payment register and follows all cash-handling procedures as required.
  • May prepare and/or sell food items.
  • May take inventory and review stock and requisitions.
  • May stock bar with beer, wine, liquor and related supplies such as ice, glassware, napkins or straws.
  • Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training.
  • Complies with all Sodexo HACCP policies and procedures.
  • Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
  • Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
  • Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
  • Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
  • May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Job Qualifications:

Experience/Knowledge:
  • High School diploma, GED, or equivalent experience.
  • 0 to 1 year related experience.
  • Must be able to make a wide range of drink recipes and be able to mix drinks correctly.
Skills/Aptitude:
  • Presents self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics are essential.
  • Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
  • Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
  • Maintains a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, customers, and client representatives.
  • Ability to use a computer.
  • Listen carefully to their customers’ orders, explain drink and food items, and make menu recommendations.
  • Converse with customers on a variety of subjects, to create a friendly and welcoming environment at the bar.
License/Qualifications

Certifications: None.

General Qualifications:
  • Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
  • Maturity of judgment and behavior.
  • Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance.
  • Maintains a positive attitude.
  • Ability to work a flexible schedule helpful.
  • Must comply with any dress code requirements.
  • Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
  • Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity.
Physical Requirements:
  • Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
  • Significant walking or other means of mobility.
  • Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
  • Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
Working Conditions (may add additional conditions specific to defined work location):
  • Generally in an indoor setting; however, may supervise outside activities and events.
  • Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, weekends and extended hours as business dictates.
  • While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily in a controlled, temperate environment; however, may be exposed to heat/cold during support of outside activities.
  • The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
No-one forces them to take the job. No-one tips at McDonalds.
Xyzzy and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:12 pm

This thread is pretty comical. It appears pretty divided, one side or the other with very little in between. I'm assuming that most in favor of tipping are American, while those who oppose are non-Americans or Millenials?
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm assuming that most in favor of tipping are American, while those who oppose are non-Americans or Millenials?
Probably dead on.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I'm assuming that most in favor of tipping are American, while those who oppose are non-Americans...
From now on, I will order drinks at the Polaris lounge bar in a fake foreign accent. That way the bartender won't even expect a tip.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
This thread is pretty comical. It appears pretty divided, one side or the other with very little in between. I'm assuming that most in favor of tipping are American, while those who oppose are non-Americans or Millenials?
I've seen most Americans and Canadians tip, while most others not. Doesn't matter on age. Although it seems like there are fewer millennials in Polaris Lounges, in general.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This American desn't tip in the Polaris lounge because it's neither expected nor appropriate.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Per Indeed, $16.19 average hourly salary

https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Bart...n-Francisco-CA

Interesting, at least to me, that some folks would think a decent wage in the Bay Area would be $32K per year - or think because it is advertised as non-tipped, then it must be paid well.

Considering minimum wage in SF is $15/hr - I'll step up the tipping for good service.
ExplorerWannabe and SJWarrior like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.