Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Tips are not expected in Polaris lounges, but employees are allowed to accept them.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Print Wikipost

Tipping in Polaris lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by cricketer
Do people really expense their tips? That seems bizarre to me except where it's included in a single credit card charge. Can't imagine expensing the housekeeping tips etc. that I leave.
If tips are a culturally expected part of getting a service, then I think it makes sense for people to expense these. But for the business trip, I'd not be forced to eat out. Thus the meal and the expected gratuity make sense to expense. That said, like you mentioned, I don't typically bother to expense cash tips I give @ places like Polaris because the hassle to put it through is more than the reimbursement is worth.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Intuition tells me to tip $1/drink at UA Club lounges and nada at Polaris lounges.

Didn't follow this a few times at various Polaris lounges by also tipping $1/drink....but it somehow just felt odd, weird and awkward.
I now follow my intuition again.

I do tip at sit-down meals. $5 or $10 depending on cash availability and/or extensiveness of meal. Service has always been great there, albeit slow at times. Overall GREAT experience though.

Bartenders at Polaris lounges however seem to have the personality of a wet blanket...maybe I have just been really unlucky.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Maybe at this point it should just become a Poll. Maybe with a need to differentiate between service at the bar and the sit-down area.
MrGood likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by narvik
Bartenders at Polaris lounges however seem to have the personality of a wet blanket...maybe I have just been really unlucky.
I've found the SFO Polaris bartenders to be more engaging and--in one case, bubbly--than ORD's. Not experienced with the others yet. Not sure if the personality differences drive more tips.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
I've found the SFO Polaris bartenders to be more engaging and--in one case, bubbly--than ORD's. Not experienced with the others yet. Not sure if the personality differences drive more tips.
Only been in the EWR Polaris Lounge once, but the bartenders were quite engaging.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
At yesterday's LAX Polaris Lounge opening, I had the chance to speak to the woman at Sodexo responsible for all of the Polaris lounges. We had a good conversation and I asked her what's up with tipping in the lounges. My experience with tipping has been all over the place: while bartenders haven't prompted the issue, the servers at ORD have been quite aggressive with tipping on my trips in. Upon seating and having of a menu, it's been my experience there that servers will mention they'll be happy to take gratuities. (And I'm pretty sure in the beginning, there was text in the menu that suggested as much.) When I asked one server if they accepted credit cards and got a "no", he said I could go out into the terminal at the close ATM machine and pull out cash. I've seen people tip and others not, so I was curious what the "official" word is.

In short, she told me there is no policy or procedure. Before being hired, employees are told not to expect tipping, especially in west coast locations where the idea of tipping may be foreign to Asian travelers. There should be nothing in writing for guests about gratuities and staff are to never solicit for them. (She said she'd look into my opposite experiences at ORD and elsewhere.) That said, guests are always welcome to tip for good service. I said they should accept credit cards for tips, but because the lounge doesn't sell anything, there's no real interest to put in POS terminals to accept cards.

After chatting with the Sudexo lead, I also had a chat with the bartenders about it too. They said they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected. I asked about their pay; the two bartenders I spoke with also bartend elsewhere and said that Sudoxo pays them a substantially higher wage to make up for the difference of being in a non-tipping environment. I asked what they thought of that and they said they liked the job + the pay; the workload is lighter and with a more sophisticated crowd, they thought their pay was more than fair and had no issues with no tipping.

Of course, I was dropping tips throughout my LAX visit, but it looks like tipping is more of a "surprise and delight" for the staff than an expected norm, unlike other bars outside of the Polaris lounges.
PTahCha, Xyzzy, lindaiah and 13 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

So expected at ORD but not elsewhere?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:24 am

Wow, some actual information. Thanks Weatherboy!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by threeoh
Wow, some actual information. Thanks Weatherboy!
Technically anything in this thread is information. Whether you find it useful is a different story.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Sudoxo pays them a substantially higher wage to make up for the difference of being in a non-tipping environment
And its settled.

</endthread>
margarita girl and chavala like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by rankourabu
</endthread>
That said, guests are always welcome to tip for good service.

</resume_thread>
MrGood likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
At the United Club I usually pay to enjoy premium liquor or champagne, and can leave a tip on my credit/debit card. Compared to years past, I now rarely carry cash. So when I go the Polaris lounge, and everything is free, I often don't have any way to tip unless I change my cashless habit. Hence I really don't worry about it!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
This whole conversation is ridiculous. What restaurant or bar would you go to and not tip? I hope none.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 13, 2019 at 11:21 pm Reason: Overly personal comments about other posters removed
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
This whole conversation is ridiculous. What restaurant or bar would you go to and not tip? I hope none.
TIpping is not always appropriate. Many of us believe that the Plaris lounge falls into that category. Weatherboy found out that UA and club management agree.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
This whole conversation is ridiculous.
Especially this part.
Xyzzy, Silver Fox and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.