Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Gald to hear TPG has validated FT posters
Brilliant!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Believe that is incorrect

If your 777 has PremuimPlus, it has 3-4-3
787 all have 3-3-3 but is a narrower cabin
The way it looked when I was on the plane for the legrest in the bulkhead was that it is attached at the bottom of the part of the seat that comes out to support your legs, like the end of the leg part was for your feet, kinda like the old UA barcaloungers on the HNL routes in F the leg part extends then the bottom part extends again from that. The other 2 rows do have leg support parts like a reclining chair, but the actual part for your feet is connected to the seat in front and is like bike pedals. Again I believe that is the better solution for taller people like me.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by whitethunder
The way it looked when I was on the plane for the legrest in the bulkhead was that it is attached at the bottom of the part of the seat that comes out to support your legs, like the end of the leg part was for your feet, kinda like the old UA barcaloungers on the HNL routes in F the leg part extends then the bottom part extends again from that. The other 2 rows do have leg support parts like a reclining chair, but the actual part for your feet is connected to the seat in front and is like bike pedals. Again I believe that is the better solution for taller people like me.
Let's not confuse "footrest" (the peglike thing to put your shoes on) with "legrest" (the wide padded part of the seat that supports your legs).

Indeed, it appears that the only difference between bulkhead and non is the location of the footrest; in bulkhead it is attached to the footrest. In non-bulkhead, it is attached to the seat in front of you.

I am 6 foot 2 and I am choosing to sit in the non-bulkhead row. Still not sure if I am making the best decision. I am concerned that bulkhead seats typically are tighter because of meal trays and/or pop-up video screens.

Who's gonna talk me into moving back into the bulkhead?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by elitefreak
I am 6 foot 2 and I am choosing to sit in the non-bulkhead row. Still not sure if I am making the best decision. I am concerned that bulkhead seats typically are tighter because of meal trays and/or pop-up video screens.

When I flew in Economy + on long haul international flights on the 3-class 772, I always chose the bulkhead seat. I would even change my day of travel if I could find the bulkhead seat available on another close-by date. I still fit in the tighter seat due to the meal trays. I thought I was an average size man (in height and weight) however I read the last statistics and it seems that the average size of the waist increased to 40 inches. I'm below that. I like having a big space in front of me. The passenger near me does not bother me when trying to get out of their seat. In the other seats, what I see is a seat back. My conclusion is that when I will fly Premium Plus (the day that UA decides that they will sell those seats to us flying from ORD), I will choose the bulkhead seats. I hope that most passengers will decide that they prefer the other seats so I can get my bulkhead.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
When I flew in Economy + on long haul international flights on the 3-class 772, I always chose the bulkhead seat. I would even change my day of travel if I could find the bulkhead seat available on another close-by date. I still fit in the tighter seat due to the meal trays. I thought I was an average size man (in height and weight) however I read the last statistics and it seems that the average size of the waist increased to 40 inches. I'm below that. I like having a big space in front of me. The passenger near me does not bother me when trying to get out of their seat. In the other seats, what I see is a seat back. My conclusion is that when I will fly Premium Plus (the day that UA decides that they will sell those seats to us flying from ORD), I will choose the bulkhead seats. I hope that most passengers will decide that they prefer the other seats so I can get my bulkhead.
Thanks. You've convinced me to move back to the bulkhead.

I think the bulkhead window is generally preferable, especially for long-haul sleeping/leaning on the wall. Obviously there's no issue with getting out of a bulkhead seat. Do you agree?

Also, I just noticed this comment in the PP promotion:

Sit back and relax with an inflight entertainment screen that’s up to 13 inches (versus the standard 9 inches).

So, indeed, it would appear that the bulkhead screens are smaller than 13 inches or else they would not have bothered mentioning "up to". But I guess a popup screen is a bit closer than the seatback screen so it probably cancels out.

Last edited by elitefreak; Jan 25, 2019 at 10:20 am Reason: add info
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Let's not confuse "footrest" (the peglike thing to put your shoes on) with "legrest" (the wide padded part of the seat that supports your legs).

Indeed, it appears that the only difference between bulkhead and non is the location of the footrest; in bulkhead it is attached to the footrest. In non-bulkhead, it is attached to the seat in front of you.

exactly I think the footrest would be better for us taller guys in the second (or third row)

other thing I noted too was there was a family with the bassinet in the first row on my flight, could happen to you as well might be something to consider

I think you'd probably be ok either way

I am flying a PP plane again in march AKL-SFO and am debating trying the bulkhead myself just to compare, if you decide to take it please let me know how it worked out for you
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Have we officially confirmed where the Premium Economy fares match up among United, Lufthansa, and Air Canada?

OAR= GEN on LH? GE earns 150%, while N earns 100%.

OAR= OEN on AC
Also, OEN on AC earn 150% PQMs.

Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sannmann
Have we officially confirmed where the Premium Economy fares match up among United, Lufthansa, and Air Canada?

OAR= GEN on LH? GE earns 150%, while N earns 100%.

OAR= OEN on AC
Also, OEN on AC earn 150% PQMs.

What do you mean by "officially"? I would bet good money that the obvious translation will happen. I don't know if we have direct reports of it posting yet.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by whitethunder
exactly I am flying a PP plane again in march AKL-SFO and am debating trying the bulkhead myself just to compare, if you decide to take it please let me know how it worked out for you
I am on the inaugural true PP flight to. CDG on March 30 but I will post my bulkhead review.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So I sat in row 20 on the 772 on NRT-IAD a couple of weeks ago. My thoughts:

- seat is fairly comfortable, and the extra legroom is nice
- legrest was good, and at least on the bulkhead, does come out from under your own seat. I think there one of the controls on the side was supposed to open up the footrest part, but it didn't seem to work - I had to flip open and closed manually with my foot (which worked fine).
- I did notice the screen seemed to be smaller in row 20 than 21/22. Apparently I'm not the only one. I'd guess this is because it gets stowed under the armrest, and there's only so much room if it's to fit there. Definitely confusing on how to actually release the screen to raise it, there's a small button you have to push (or pull...can't remember) and its definitely not obvious, and only marked with a colored dot (IIRC). Plus no indication you are to push and pull - so not intuitive. Also, while my screen worked fine, my daughters next to me, the touch screen didn't work so had to use the remote - my wife next to her did have the touch screen working, but seemed to be finicky.
- table is the armrest, of course, but there is also a button needed to get it to lift out initially, then you have to pull out the rest of the way. Also a bit confusing. The button you need to pull to get it out has a picture of a fork and knife on it.
- There did appear to be the ability to have a bassinet there

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have chosen a bulkhead, but it was the only place to get 3 seats next to each other. Interestingly enough, despite being full for the day prior to check in, we ended up leaving with 8 empty PP seats. Not sure what happened, and turns out we could have had 3 seats in row 22 by the end. Only 5 were upgraded, so couldn't have been only that...maybe a couple of missed connections of SDCs out.

All in all, was a comfortable flight, and definitely more so than 3-4-3 in regular E+. That said, I don't typically have the budget to book PE, so probably won't have much of an opportunity to try it out again anytime soon.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA MM/Plat, AS MVP
Done Econ+ many times on UA 869/862 (HKG-SFO).
Take the middle section aisle.
You can put your feet up on the wall and only have (at worst) one person crossing over you because of the extra space creating a de facto aisle.
The overhead bin is larger and unlike the bulkhead in the side sections, the wall extends all the way to the edge of your seat, meaning both feet can be put up.
I'm 5'11" and the ability to use the wall is a life-saver.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by findark
What do you mean by "officially"? I would bet good money that the obvious translation will happen. I don't know if we have direct reports of it posting yet.
I’m considering purchasing a United codeshare operated by either Lufthansa or Air Canada. Shows up as a United R fare. Want to make sure that it maps to N on Lufthansa or Air Canada.

(If so, would likely choose Air Canada because of the 150% PQMs.)
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I’m considering purchasing a United codeshare operated by either Lufthansa or Air Canada. Shows up as a United R fare. Want to make sure that it maps to N on Lufthansa or Air Canada.
Good luck getting anyone from UA to answer that question. I'm planning a trip for later this year that will involve flying premium economy on a LH flight that also has a UA codeshare. At this point, I'm going to buy it from LH because if I buy it from UA, I'll get fewer miles and PQD. And yes, the fares on each website are the same.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by halls120
And yes, the fares on each website are the same.
Assuming same inventory, I would hope so. That's how the JV works.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

(If so, would likely choose Air Canada because of the 150% PQMs.)
Personally, I would book the UA R fare without a second thought. While I can't point to an "official word" there's basically no doubt in my mind that O/A/R maps to G/E/N or O/E/N. If you are completely paranoid, you book the partner flight number directly by calling UA. You will definitely not get 150% PQM for UA R on LH metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.