Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Hopefully nobody was expecting PE to be some kind of revelation in passenger comfort, or a substitute for business class... it isn't at the carriers which have it, and it won't be that at UA. Still, the little bit of additional width, greater legroom, bigger screens and upgraded food/beverage will be welcome.

I've flown the MiQ seat with other carriers and find it to be adequately comfortable, but it's still much closer to the realm of Y than J. I personally prefer the off-the-shelf MiQ seat to the LH PE seat.

The small cabins suggest, to me, that UA will be trying to extract a considerable premium for PE over standard Y. I just hope UA doesn't completely blow up its GPU system to accommodate PE (IOW, Y>J becomes a double instrument-supported upgrade).
Silver Fox and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
On a 12 hour flight, I would not pay more than $75 to get here versus E+ and truthfully, I probably wouln't even pay that.
I hope your opinion is shared by the majority of E and E+ passengers. It would mean more PE availability for me!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA MM/Plat, AS MVP
I just booked multiple PP flights (SFO-HKG) which is my usual routing for work. I bought two on Black Friday and one today (all at $675 each) and grabbed 19C which is the bulkhead aisle.
I figured at that price point, it was worth buying well in advance of the inevitable price jump.
The fact that we have early access to these seats before they "go live" in the system is quite nice, although I'm guessing UA is also quietly gauging interest among their Golds and above.

I've been flying this route quarterly since 1999 so I've got good BIS experience with the UA product and planes.

My next trip out is in Feb 2019 and I'll post photos and thoughts if anybody is interested but I will definitely be late to the review-party.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I thought I saw a post describing a bulkhead wall behind the last row of PP in here, but can’t seem
to find it anymore.

Csn anyone comfirm that there are bulkhead walls behind thre last row of PP, and if there is one in front of row 20? Wondering if there will be bassinet availability in PP, presumably at least in the middle section of row 20. Sounds like if there is a bulkhead behind row 22, whatever the first row of E+ is behind it would have bassinet availability for sure?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
The seat map has the PE layout but is not currently being sold as PE on my SFO-HKG flight at the end of January. Are the planes already equipped with PE, it just hasn’t officially gone live? Just wondering if I should grab 1 of the seats in Row 21-23. I was booted from the PE seat I selected once PE went live on my flight to CDG last weekend.

Originally Posted by pspark
I just booked multiple PP flights (SFO-HKG) which is my usual routing for work. I bought two on Black Friday and one today (all at $675 each) and grabbed 19C which is the bulkhead aisle.
I figured at that price point, it was worth buying well in advance of the inevitable price jump.
The fact that we have early access to these seats before they "go live" in the system is quite nice, although I'm guessing UA is also quietly gauging interest among their Golds and above.

I've been flying this route quarterly since 1999 so I've got good BIS experience with the UA product and planes.

My next trip out is in Feb 2019 and I'll post photos and thoughts if anybody is interested but I will definitely be late to the review-party.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I thought I saw a post describing a bulkhead wall behind the last row of PP in here, but can’t seem
to find it anymore.

Csn anyone comfirm that there are bulkhead walls behind thre last row of PP, and if there is one in front of row 20? Wondering if there will be bassinet availability in PP, presumably at least in the middle section of row 20. Sounds like if there is a bulkhead behind row 22, whatever the first row of E+ is behind it would have bassinet availability for sure?
On our return from HKG early this week we were on a Polarized plane. My wife went to check the PP area. She did say that it was a nice little cabin with bulkhead walls on the back. Naturally, there are also bulkhead walls in the front as this is the normal separation between Business Class and Economy. I cannot say anything about bassinets as it's not something she would have looked for, so did not comment on it.

The PP area was rather empty so she sat in those seats for a few minutes (in Row 20 and Row 21). She thought that she would like to sit in the bulkhead for a flight like HKG-ORD. But felt that the other seats would still be a little cramped.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
to find it anymore.

Page 1 for pics. No clue about the bassinette.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tigerwong
The seat map has the PE layout but is not currently being sold as PE on my SFO-HKG flight at the end of January. Are the planes already equipped with PE, it just hasn’t officially gone live? Just wondering if I should grab 1 of the seats in Row 21-23. I was booted from the PE seat I selected once PE went live on my flight to CDG last weekend.

Many of the aircraft have the P+ seat. If you get one for a flight before the end of March, it will technically be considered E+. So you can go ahead and take to. There have been reports of non-1K/GS being shuffled out of the P+-as-E+ seat, but the parameters of how that works aren't clear to me.
tigerwong likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Page 1 for pics. No clue about the bassinette.
thanks. Saw the pictures on page 1, and clearly see the wall behind row 22. Maybe I’m not looking close enough, but can’t see either way how it looks in front of row 20.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet

thanks. Saw the pictures on page 1, and clearly see the wall behind row 22. Maybe I’m not looking close enough, but can’t see either way how it looks in front of row 20.
There are two pics in my post. One shows where the mags/safety cards go, and the other showing the Premium Plus sign shows the divider between row 20 and business.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA MM/Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by tigerwong

You'll probably get bumped back to 30 which is the first row of E+. It happened to me on my HKG-NRT-SFO route in May. I had bought it and scored 19C which is the E+ "mini-cabin" on the planes that have not been upgraded yet.
My Feb trip still has me in 19 E+ section and has not changed to a PP seat map. That could change and I could get bumped back. It's happening to a lot of people.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I was curious about leg room for the bulkhead row, so took a quick look today on a 773. It was generous.

mymflyer, narvik and MrGood like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Continental
Legroom

It's very good on the 777-200 also.
I checked it out over the weekend.

Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
There are two pics in my post. One shows where the mags/safety cards go, and the other showing the Premium Plus sign shows the divider between row 20 and business.
whoops. Didn't come back here for a while, and somehow missed the photos in your post on page 1. I was looking at the OP, which didn't show that. Yours did (as well as a couple of newer posts, just above.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
First experience on refitted 772 Premium Plus seat

I took NRT-IAD flight today. I ended on a middle-section aisle seat on the first row. My original seat was a middle seat on the second row. After about 6 hours, my butt began to feel hurt. I put additional support on the seat to survive the 12 hour journey.
Positive impressions:
1) the aisle seat can become wider after lowering the arm rest (additional 2-3 inches);
2) tray table can be easily pull out and stored;
3) controls for seat recline and footrest are easy to use;
4) the seatback screen is bigger than in Economy cabin.
5) footrests other than the first row are nice.
Less favorite impressions:
1) seat cushion
2) video/audio/light controls
3) footrest on the first row (cannot extend forward much)
4) pulling out the video screen on the first row is not easy.

Finally, will I pay for these seats? I might do it with GPU on the lowly G fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.