Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to streamline Polaris Business service & cut FA staffing on some Intl routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum

As I mentioned in the previous thread about "enhancements"... Per a memo from John Slater (VP, Inflight Services), beginning February 1st, 2019, UA will further "streamline" the Polaris Business meal service. Entrees will come preplated from catering (as is currently done for some domestic entrees), meaning the elimination of 1 FA galley position on some widebodies (basically anything with a mid galley). Also, 1 FA is being removed on TATL 757 flights in Y.

Changes are being made to bring UA staffing inline with that of AA/DL, at the request of some "key investors"

Frankly, I'm surprised it took them this long to set a date.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Doesn't surprise me. Can't imagine why UA would overstaff and not sure that pre-plating an entree detracts from the quality of the meal when served.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
You would think it would make sense to let pax pre-order their meal so the majority of pax can have their first choice of meal.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
That's a massive downgrade to the entrees - things like the Thai chicken soup will not be feasible any longer. Portion sizes will also decrease even further to fit into the tiny casserole dishes.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
Doesn't surprise me. Can't imagine why UA would overstaff and not sure that pre-plating an entree detracts from the quality of the meal when served.
Different parts of the entree need different cooking times? Watch them in the galley. The plate is prepared with veg/starch and then the protein comes from a different container. Imagine putting everything on a plate in your oven and then calling it all done at the same time.
Originally Posted by rch4u
That's a massive downgrade to the entrees - things like the Thai chicken soup will not be feasible any longer.
I thought soup was long gone.
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
You would think it would make sense to let pax pre-order their meal so the majority of pax can have their first choice of meal.
Yes, but that has nothing to do with preplating, which a horrid idea. I’d be thrilled for preorder, but that would cost UA like ten cents more (on a $10K ticket) so that won’t happen.

To save time I figure Franzia boxed wine is next. They could just wheel the boxes down the aisle.
mikeyf and gcashin like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 8, 2018 at 10:39 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by milepig

I thought soup was long gone.
Not that soup. The Thai chicken dish is a main course.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:42 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
I can't imagine it'll affect quality too much, but that's largely dependent on the china used. (edit: see below) It will slow service down to some degree, as there's no one to prep meals while you're in the aisle picking up appetizer plates -- even the pre-plated stuff requires some assembly -- and the dessert carts don't build themselves.

Frankly, (and I may draw the ire of AFA/other FAs) I don't think it's a huge deal, so long as the catering/packing is done right.

Having said all of that, there's something to be said about the level of service now compared to that of the "glamour days" -- or even in comparison to non-US airlines. But that's a topic for another day, I guess.

Originally Posted by rch4u
That's a massive downgrade to the entrees - things like the Thai chicken soup will not be feasible any longer. Portion sizes will also decrease even further to fit into the tiny casserole dishes.
I hadn't considered things like the spicy chicken. That's a shame, it's certainly one of my favorites.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Not that soup. The Thai chicken dish is a main course.
I guess I’ve missed this entree soup.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:45 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
IMHO when they plate the entrees are plated in the galley they come out looking "cleaner" vs. a dish that's had 3+ hours to let everything run together. Of course in the scheme of things there are bigger issues to worry about but still disappointing to see current UA management being seduced by slowly whittling away their premium product.

My take away is to eat at a Polaris lounge for dinner, hit up a restaurant for my onboard meal, and then maybe have the onboard entree right before landing lieu of the second meal.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fezzington
I can't imagine it'll affect quality too much, but that's largely dependent on the china used. (edit: see below) It will slow service down to some degree, as there's no one to prep meals while you're in the aisle picking up appetizer plates -- even the pre-plated stuff requires some assembly -- and the dessert carts don't build themselves.

Frankly, (and I may draw the ire of AFA/other FAs) I don't think it's a huge deal, so long as the catering/packing is done right.

Having said all of that, there's something to be said about the level of service now compared to that of the "glamour days" -- or even in comparison to non-US airlines. But that's a topic for another day, I guess.

I hadn't considered things like the spicy chicken. That's a shame, it's certainly one of my favorites.
Not to mention that it will cut into their gossip magazine reading time.
Originally Posted by J.Edward
IMHO when they plate the entrees are plated in the galley they come out looking "cleaner" vs. a dish that's had 3+ hours to let everything run together. Of course in the scheme of things there are bigger issues to worry about but still disappointing to see current UA management being seduced by slowly whittling away their premium product.

My take away is to eat at a Polaris lounge for dinner, hit up a restaurant for my onboard meal, and then maybe have the onboard entree right before landing lieu of the second meal.
Yeah. I guess, but there’s just something wrong with needing to bring onboard your own meal in a premium cabin. One more reason to book ANA for half the price, it seems.
hossra, SkyTeem and Benj K like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 5, 2018 at 7:46 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I guess I’ve missed this entree soup.
That spicy chicken dish is very good and this coming from someone who never eats chicken at home. I'm more into red meat but I know how to cook beef better than UA's caterer. OK, I never had to cook beef on a plane......

My concern about the reduction in one galley position is that we might end up with grumpier FAs.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
No big deal in my book. We have done a few international flights each year for the past 4 years and by and large the food has been disappointing at best. Mostly tasteless, often tough. Now if they start messing with the ice cream again I will not be a happy camper.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I seriously just envision a mess on the plate with weird degrees of cooking if they move to preplated... Polaris soft product has really gone through quite a few cuts since launch now...
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:30 pm

To save time I figure Franzia boxed wine is next. They could just wheel the boxes down the aisle.
Probably, but they still wouldn't be able to get the menu to match the box that is wheeled down the aisle.
wrp96 and truncated like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta
Preplating - no thanks

A money grab that the customers suffer from and the FAs (who are losing work) have to implement and be the face of. Not to mention the compromised safety of one less flight attendant.

Record profits are leading to enhanced greed.
guaCOmole, mikeyf and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.