FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA to streamline Polaris Business service & cut FA staffing on some Intl routes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1939147-ua-streamline-polaris-business-service-cut-fa-staffing-some-intl-routes.html)

fezzington Nov 5, 2018 5:43 pm

UA to streamline Polaris Business service & cut FA staffing on some Intl routes

As I mentioned in the previous thread about "enhancements"... Per a memo from John Slater (VP, Inflight Services), beginning February 1st, 2019, UA will further "streamline" the Polaris Business meal service. Entrees will come preplated from catering (as is currently done for some domestic entrees), meaning the elimination of 1 FA galley position on some widebodies (basically anything with a mid galley). Also, 1 FA is being removed on TATL 757 flights in Y.

Changes are being made to bring UA staffing inline with that of AA/DL, at the request of some "key investors"

Frankly, I'm surprised it took them this long to set a date.

Often1 Nov 5, 2018 6:24 pm

Doesn't surprise me. Can't imagine why UA would overstaff and not sure that pre-plating an entree detracts from the quality of the meal when served.

Aussienarelle Nov 5, 2018 6:31 pm

You would think it would make sense to let pax pre-order their meal so the majority of pax can have their first choice of meal.

rch4u Nov 5, 2018 6:32 pm

That's a massive downgrade to the entrees - things like the Thai chicken soup will not be feasible any longer. Portion sizes will also decrease even further to fit into the tiny casserole dishes.

milepig Nov 5, 2018 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30397691)
Doesn't surprise me. Can't imagine why UA would overstaff and not sure that pre-plating an entree detracts from the quality of the meal when served.

Different parts of the entree need different cooking times? Watch them in the galley. The plate is prepared with veg/starch and then the protein comes from a different container. Imagine putting everything on a plate in your oven and then calling it all done at the same time.

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 30397708)
That's a massive downgrade to the entrees - things like the Thai chicken soup will not be feasible any longer.

I thought soup was long gone.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 30397706)
You would think it would make sense to let pax pre-order their meal so the majority of pax can have their first choice of meal.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with preplating, which a horrid idea. I’d be thrilled for preorder, but that would cost UA like ten cents more (on a $10K ticket) so that won’t happen.

To save time I figure Franzia boxed wine is next. They could just wheel the boxes down the aisle.

StuckinITH Nov 5, 2018 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 30397715)

I thought soup was long gone.

Not that soup. The Thai chicken dish is a main course.

fezzington Nov 5, 2018 6:42 pm

I can't imagine it'll affect quality too much, but that's largely dependent on the china used. (edit: see below) It will slow service down to some degree, as there's no one to prep meals while you're in the aisle picking up appetizer plates -- even the pre-plated stuff requires some assembly -- and the dessert carts don't build themselves.

Frankly, (and I may draw the ire of AFA/other FAs) I don't think it's a huge deal, so long as the catering/packing is done right.

Having said all of that, there's something to be said about the level of service now compared to that of the "glamour days" -- or even in comparison to non-US airlines. But that's a topic for another day, I guess.

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 30397708)
That's a massive downgrade to the entrees - things like the Thai chicken soup will not be feasible any longer. Portion sizes will also decrease even further to fit into the tiny casserole dishes.

I hadn't considered things like the spicy chicken. That's a shame, it's certainly one of my favorites.

milepig Nov 5, 2018 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 30397733)
Not that soup. The Thai chicken dish is a main course.

I guess I’ve missed this entree soup.

J.Edward Nov 5, 2018 6:45 pm

IMHO when they plate the entrees are plated in the galley they come out looking "cleaner" vs. a dish that's had 3+ hours to let everything run together. Of course in the scheme of things there are bigger issues to worry about but still disappointing to see current UA management being seduced by slowly whittling away their premium product.

My take away is to eat at a Polaris lounge for dinner, hit up a restaurant for my onboard meal, and then maybe have the onboard entree right before landing lieu of the second meal.

milepig Nov 5, 2018 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by fezzington (Post 30397740)
I can't imagine it'll affect quality too much, but that's largely dependent on the china used. (edit: see below) It will slow service down to some degree, as there's no one to prep meals while you're in the aisle picking up appetizer plates -- even the pre-plated stuff requires some assembly -- and the dessert carts don't build themselves.

Frankly, (and I may draw the ire of AFA/other FAs) I don't think it's a huge deal, so long as the catering/packing is done right.

Having said all of that, there's something to be said about the level of service now compared to that of the "glamour days" -- or even in comparison to non-US airlines. But that's a topic for another day, I guess.

I hadn't considered things like the spicy chicken. That's a shame, it's certainly one of my favorites.

Not to mention that it will cut into their gossip magazine reading time.

Originally Posted by J.Edward (Post 30397746)
IMHO when they plate the entrees are plated in the galley they come out looking "cleaner" vs. a dish that's had 3+ hours to let everything run together. Of course in the scheme of things there are bigger issues to worry about but still disappointing to see current UA management being seduced by slowly whittling away their premium product.

My take away is to eat at a Polaris lounge for dinner, hit up a restaurant for my onboard meal, and then maybe have the onboard entree right before landing lieu of the second meal.

Yeah. I guess, but there’s just something wrong with needing to bring onboard your own meal in a premium cabin. One more reason to book ANA for half the price, it seems.

StuckinITH Nov 5, 2018 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 30397745)

I guess I’ve missed this entree soup.

That spicy chicken dish is very good and this coming from someone who never eats chicken at home. I'm more into red meat but I know how to cook beef better than UA's caterer. OK, I never had to cook beef on a plane......

My concern about the reduction in one galley position is that we might end up with grumpier FAs.

gene2632 Nov 5, 2018 6:59 pm

No big deal in my book. We have done a few international flights each year for the past 4 years and by and large the food has been disappointing at best. Mostly tasteless, often tough. Now if they start messing with the ice cream again I will not be a happy camper.

mrt88 Nov 5, 2018 7:20 pm

I seriously just envision a mess on the plate with weird degrees of cooking if they move to preplated... Polaris soft product has really gone through quite a few cuts since launch now...

worldtrav Nov 5, 2018 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 30397722)

To save time I figure Franzia boxed wine is next. They could just wheel the boxes down the aisle.

Probably, but they still wouldn't be able to get the menu to match the box that is wheeled down the aisle.

rushscott Nov 5, 2018 8:00 pm

Preplating - no thanks

A money grab that the customers suffer from and the FAs (who are losing work) have to implement and be the face of. Not to mention the compromised safety of one less flight attendant.

Record profits are leading to enhanced greed.