Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to streamline Polaris Business service & cut FA staffing on some Intl routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to streamline Polaris Business service & cut FA staffing on some Intl routes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I think that cutting one FA will increase their stress so will be not positive at all for the Polaris Business experience.
Not if they also cut some services provided.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by transportprof
Sometimes the pasta comes out crispy on the edges from over-long re-heating.
I smiled when I saw this comment. Haven't observed it recently, but back in 2013 this was an ongoing issue. Back when I first started getting upgraded I recall being amazed at how inedible the pasta dishes were—there were times the entire top layer of penne was hard as a rock, as if it had never been dunked in boiling water. I mentioned it to an FA once and she just shrugged.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
You're both right. Admittedly, my pasta rule is for flying in long haul Y on some Australian/Asian airlines where it has been decent. Only UA could mess up pasta. I will admit I've had some crispy edges on UA too - which I've dodged, eaten the edible pieces in the middle or on the bottom, and then starved hoping the sundae comes quickly...
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:21 pm

Fair enough, but the title still seems a little "click baity" to me.
Ugleeual likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
Let's be honest: the whole idea of Polaris was a temporary idea for Oscar to say that he had done something significant for his premium travelers. Something like a marketing campaign that is designed to time out. When it first launched, there was a sense of pride across the company - that the FAs would finally have something good to deliver to their customers after years of crap. With these cuts, we're right back where we started. The seats are taking years to get done, the lounges are mediocre (especially SFO), and now the on-board soft product is being reduced.

I'll close the year with ~250 BIS miles and can tell you that 2018 was the year of cuts across the system. (DEN-SFO blocked at 2+50 with a "snack" for dinner. Give me a break. Fly Qantas business on a 1+15 leg and see what they can do.) What I can't figure out is the business model of degrading your product for your most profitable customers. United is clearly all about putting their investors first, not customers.

Just remember, these United execs don't have to use their own product for business. They just sit in Chicago, make bad decisions, then wonder why everyone is upset. We are the ones who have to get off the plane after flying for 15 hours, go straight to the meeting, then decide whether it's worth our time to argue about a service we didn't receive after paying $10K+. In the loyalty matrix, I am "trapped", not "truly loyal".
kevanyalowitz and porciuscato like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by BE-58
Let's be honest: the whole idea of Polaris was a temporary idea for Oscar to say that he had done something significant for his premium travelers. Something like a marketing campaign that is designed to time out. When it first launched, there was a sense of pride across the company - that the FAs would finally have something good to deliver to their customers after years of crap. With these cuts, we're right back where we started. The seats are taking years to get done, the lounges are mediocre (especially SFO), and now the on-board soft product is being reduced.

I'll close the year with ~250 BIS miles and can tell you that 2018 was the year of cuts across the system. (DEN-SFO blocked at 2+50 with a "snack" for dinner. Give me a break. Fly Qantas business on a 1+15 leg and see what they can do.) What I can't figure out is the business model of degrading your product for your most profitable customers. United is clearly all about putting their investors first, not customers.

Just remember, these United execs don't have to use their own product for business. They just sit in Chicago, make bad decisions, then wonder why everyone is upset. We are the ones who have to get off the plane after flying for 15 hours, go straight to the meeting, then decide whether it's worth our time to argue about a service we didn't receive after paying $10K+. In the loyalty matrix, I am "trapped", not "truly loyal".
You said it as well as anyone. Today had two flights cancelled out from under me. I get the weather bit but, in the past, UA at least let you know and rebooked you. Now you have to check the website and rebook on your own. And Oscar is clearly just a figure head. "Greasy Thumb" Kirby is calling the shots
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
"Streamlining" is United's favorite euphemism for "cuts". It's almost never a good thing.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:03 am
Used to be 'TheManWhoFlewTooMuch'

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Delta Diamond emeritus, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
I'll close the year with ~250 BIS miles and can tell you that 2018 was the year of cuts across the system. (DEN-SFO blocked at 2+50 with a "snack" for dinner. Give me a break. Fly Qantas business on a 1+15 leg and see what they can do.)
Indeed. Last week I flew Air Canada for the first time. It was just a short flight from PHL-YYZ, about one hour and 10 minutes, and I was surprised to be served a full, hot breakfast comparable to what United serves on Polaris international flights. It was impressive.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Reduced FA's in Polaris - PMCO 772

was told by the pursor on yesterday's flight that the new service model rolled out Feb 1 has reduced FA count in Polaris PMCO 772 from 6 to 5. As well I do not believe they split the front cabin and back cabin anymore. the 6th FA is now in Y.

Anyone else notice this? They were scrambling to get service done but actually did a good job. As if they were aware if they didn't push it, service would be a disaster so, kudos to them.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:14 am

Unfortunately, UA is no different than most publicly traded corporations. Their first obligation is to their shareholders, not their customers. As long as profits are on the rise, the customer is merely one other statistic to consider. It's not about providing enhanced service, it's about providing enhanced earnings.
Steve M likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
...after years of crap. With these cuts, we're right back where we started. The seats are taking years to get done, the lounges are mediocre (especially SFO), and now the on-board soft product is being reduced....
...What I can't figure out is the business model of degrading your product for your most profitable customers. United is clearly all about putting their investors first, not customers....
... In the loyalty matrix, I am "trapped", not "truly loyal".
Unless there have been severe cuts in the past 3mo, I don't think we are "back where we started" Yes the rollout is painfully slow, but its not like they are removing polaris seats and putting the old ones back. We still have a pretty similar soft product. One less pillow. I never really noticed a huge difference in food product from pre-polaris to polaris. Less things on carts? I don't track the alcohol that carefully, is that what you refer to? I haven't been to the SFO lounge for a while. You can still sit down and order a "cooked to order" meal right? That is still miles better than the old UC. And it may have been a lucky day, but the SFO dining room was the only time I got my food in 5min vs 20min. Maybe there has been a reduction, but I hardly thing we are back to where we started.
I do agree, that UA seems to have an odd business model of targeting their most profitable customers.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by flyme2
Unfortunately, UA is no different than most publicly traded corporations. Their first obligation is to their shareholders, not their customers. As long as profits are on the rise, the customer is merely one other statistic to consider. It's not about providing enhanced service, it's about providing enhanced earnings.
That's why Air Canada, a publicly-traded corporation, can provide a nice breakfast and United cannot?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK

is UA Polaris lounge not true investment into the customer? Is retrofitting all international widebodies in 3 to 4 years not investment into the customer? is having the best APP in the industry not investing into the customer? is having the best bedding in the sky not investment into the customer?

there are other things that will take longer time to turn around than other, but no doubt United is rising and its future is bright.

Originally Posted by threeoh
That's why Air Canada, a publicly-traded corporation, can provide a nice breakfast and United cannot?
why United, a publicly-traded corporation, can provide a better pajama in business class but Air Canada cannot?
why United, a publicly-traded corporation, can provide a better APP for all customer but Air Canada cannot?

why United, a publicly-traded corporation, can only fit 350 seats into it 77W, but Air Canada has to cram their 77W with 400 seats?
Why United, a publicly-traded corporation, can allow award ticket in business class into their Polaris lounge, but Air Canada cannot let theirs into the signature room?

why United, a publicly-traded corporation, never charge YQ on their reward redemptions but AIr Canada charges outrageous amount on some of their partners?
spotfin likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 15, 2019 at 1:12 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
was told by the pursor on yesterday's flight that the new service model rolled out Feb 1 has reduced FA count in Polaris PMCO 772 from 6 to 5. As well I do not believe they split the front cabin and back cabin anymore. the 6th FA is now in Y.

Anyone else notice this? They were scrambling to get service done but actually did a good job. As if they were aware if they didn't push it, service would be a disaster so, kudos to them.
That was announced back in November, has been discussed ad infInitum on this forum and (whether you/we like it or not) it brings the number of FAs into line with Delta. The reduction of one FA in J was because J meals are now pre-plated and so an FA is not required to manually place the meat onto the plate of veg just before serving. No FA’s have been let go, indeed UA is recruiting FA’s. And the with recent announcements of new UA long haul flights many if not most FAs who had long haul flights will still get opportunities to bid for them due to the new services (although they’re mostly ex-SFO).

As for for the food quality I don’t know. Yesterday’s EWR-BOM was my first long haul of the year and I missed the J upgrade by one. So I was in a PE seat (excellent) with economy food. And I can testify that the Y food service (improved in 2015) has been well and truly gutted (back to 2011 slop I’m afraid).
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:00 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

That was announced back in November, has been discussed ad infInitum on this forum and (whether you/we like it or not) it brings the number of FAs into line with Delta. The reduction of one FA in J was because J meals are now pre-plated and so an FA is not required to manually place the meat onto the plate of veg just before serving. No FA’s have been let go, indeed UA is recruiting FA’s. And the with recent announcements of new UA long haul flights many if not most FAs who had long haul flights will still get opportunities to bid for them due to the new services (although they’re mostly ex-SFO).

As for for the food quality I don’t know. Yesterday’s EWR-BOM was my first long haul of the year and I missed the J upgrade by one. So I was in a PE seat (excellent) with economy food. And I can testify that the Y food service (improved in 2015) has been well and truly gutted (back to 2011 slop I’m afraid).
My post 2/1 Polaris entree looked like a premium economy meal. Quality also was mediocre. Definitely worth eating in the lounge if you can swing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.