Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to streamline Polaris Business service & cut FA staffing on some Intl routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to streamline Polaris Business service & cut FA staffing on some Intl routes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by northsideguy
I was just chatting to my friend, who has been a long time United International Flight Attendant. What I found out is interesting. The F/A who works the mid gallery position, doing the prep work gets paid more money! I never knew that. Now it makes sense! Eliminate this position so you dont have to pay a higher wage, make the other F/A, do the extra work for no additional pay, and higher more F/A with the money which was allocated for the eliminated position.
Galley Pay, regardless if the FA is in the front, mid- or aft-galley (Economy), is paid exactly the same, with an extra $1 per flying hour over regular pay when on a widebody or 757. There’s no extra Galley pay on other narrow bodies.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh

The safety concerns seem like a red herring. If that additional FA was required for safety, the FAA minimums should be upped.
On this I agree, if it is really unsafe - the minimum should be raised.

Interesting, to me at least, all the posts on FT regarding FA's eating in the galley, playing games in the galley, chatting in the galley, reading magazines in the galley, and who knows what else suggests to me they must've had time on their hands - now all of a sudden they are going to get worked to death.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
When I order the steak dish, I ask for it medium rare. This is somewhat tongue in cheek, and we'd usually smile about it, but there are FAs that make a point of getting me my meat served at the correct level of doneness. I can tell they've actually made a point of limiting the cooking time. That's not something that can be done with preplated meals. To me that's a downgrade but it was always hit or miss as to whether they would make the effort anyway.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by luke5111
When I order the steak dish, I ask for it medium rare. This is somewhat tongue in cheek, and we'd usually smile about it, but there are FAs that make a point of getting me my meat served at the correct level of doneness. I can tell they've actually made a point of limiting the cooking time. That's not something that can be done with preplated meals. To me that's a downgrade but it was always hit or miss as to whether they would make the effort anyway.
For some entrees, preplating them won't be a significant negative. For others, it will. Which means the soft product quality is going to take another downward hit, no matter how the UA spinmeisters try to market it.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
It's No Big Deal.

The food is already second-rate. Making it slightly more inferior doesn't matter much IMO.

Now, with most of the Polaris lounges open, I always leave enough time between my feeder and my international flight to have a nice meal in the lounge and don't eat the main courses onboard anymore. That way, I can go straight to sleep or work without interruptions if I so desire.

I occasionally have a mid-flight snack but never have arrival service anyway. So, "meh".
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
The food is already fully cooked when it is put on the plane - the FA's warm it up - it isn't like there is a chef on the plane - taking your order, and giving you a medium rare steak.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by halls120
For some entrees, preplating them won't be a significant negative. For others, it will. Which means the soft product quality is going to take another downward hit, no matter how the UA spinmeisters try to market it.
Yup, looks like UA already started to make things easier for the 1 less cabin crew.

Originally Posted by jaa6921
UA 871 SFO-TPE Nov 8th 2018 - Polaris Cabin

Whats next - a plastic spoon???

I was disappointed with the change....... I hope this was a one-off and not indicative of downgrading the experience more.....

Even the FAs were surprised........

Link to post:
2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business
​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30409887-post781.html
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Will this solve the problem of 13 FAs trying to use 6 beds each for 2 break periods?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
then united just should pick meals where preplating should work well. there are a thousands way to eat. this is not the end of the world.
Brucemcdou likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...but there are FAs that make a point of getting me my meat served at the correct level of doneness. I can tell they've actually made a point of limiting the cooking time...
I think you're deceiving yourself. The meat's already cooked before loading. The FA's can't reverse what the kitchen has done to it, nor the amount of time it's been sitting around. Sometimes the meat is "right", sometimes it's not. If you think a FA is doing something special just for you on occasion instead of just random luck "doneness", you're certainly welcome to believe that
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think you're deceiving yourself. The meat's already cooked before loading. The FA's can't reverse what the kitchen has done to it, nor the amount of time it's been sitting around. Sometimes the meat is "right", sometimes it's not. If you think a FA is doing something special just for you on occasion instead of just random luck "doneness", you're certainly welcome to believe that
There is, in fact, a fair bit of impact that the Galley can have on the steak, which I learned during a tour of the Chelsea kitchen in EWR. Steaks are grilled to a medium temp on the ground, and then heated in the convection oven onboard for a specified number of minutes. Every Polaris dish has a set of “chefs tips” for the Galley that say how long each dish should heated at what specific oven setting, as well as plating instructions. The goal is not to get a piece of leathery meat. Now, whether the instructions are followed, or if you are served first or last ... a true YMMV situation!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
There is definitely some variation in the doneness of pieces of meat that get loaded onto the plane. So an FA attempting to be accomodating could choose one that looks less done to serve to a pax requesting "medium rare".
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by physioprof
There is definitely some variation in the doneness of pieces of meat that get loaded onto the plane. So an FA attempting to be accomodating could choose one that looks less done to serve to a pax requesting "medium rare".
The only thing I know about eating steaks on planes is that USAirways always managed to serve them exactly the way I like them: medium rare. On BA, they were always overcooked and too hard to eat but that was one of the choices from the Business Class menu when sitting in Premium Economy. The other choice was coming from Economy so most time I still got the steak. On United, I always avoided the steak as the first one I had was overcooked.

But going back to the FA staffing cut: on my last Polaris trip leaving ORD, the FAs were extremely stressed checking everything in the galley before departure to the point that they were quite rude when passengers had some requests that the FAs did not consider timely. Once in the air, they became more relaxed and were nicer. I think that cutting one FA will increase their stress so will be not positive at all for the Polaris Business experience.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
For some entrees, preplating them won't be a significant negative. For others, it will.
Exactly. Get the pasta. Always get the pasta. It reheats fine. Friend told me that and on UA I will always do it. Not bad. LH F is a completely different story but #UArule .
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7
Exactly. Get the pasta. Always get the pasta. It reheats fine. Friend told me that and on UA I will always do it. Not bad. LH F is a completely different story but #UArule .
Sometimes the pasta comes out crispy on the edges from over-long re-heating. FA's can mess up any of the on board meals through inattention in the galley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.