Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:00 pm

It can be done with computer database, not a problem. The real issue here is why go to that extent? Grandfather in all lifetime members to all clubs. and don't offer this kind of exception to just one or two people offer it to everybody if you're going to offer it.

Last edited by Mikey; Jun 10, 2019 at 6:02 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:54 pm

Again UA failed me...

And yet they expect me to fly them for access to the club.This time it was a trip to Austin Texas. I looked at United airlines first. The United airlines trips were consistently 8 to 10 hours and length with a change in planes. And the flight times were not that great. Alaska airlines had a Non-Stop to Austin from Seattle that takes 4 hours. Of course I'm going to choose Alaska rather than spend another five to six hours traveling on UA.

So yet again, after November I will be penalized by United for not using United when United is terribly inconvenient for many of the places that I go lately.

And they didn't even offer me the hometown club exception that they offered other folks.

Last edited by Mikey; Jun 15, 2019 at 7:55 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by Mikey
And they didn't even offer me the hometown club exception that they offered other folks.
I saw one report of this (for CLE?)... Are folks getting this offer? If so, who offered it and how will they be able to implement?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:27 am

"They offer enticements — lower fares, premier benefits, club access, etc. — to try to make up for their disadvantage from a schedule perspective"

UA was $700, AS was $336. UA was 8 hours, AS was 4 hours. What enticements except for a roomier seat? Not worth flying UA.

The fact is that UA stopped selling lifetime memberships years ago. The numbers of folks who have lifetime memberships and still use them are dwindling. This is a self-correcting problem. If they do nothing, there will be no more lifetime memberships active - they just have to wait. And that would not make us all mad.

Last edited by Mikey; Jun 16, 2019 at 11:27 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA was $700, AS was $336. UA was 8 hours, AS was 4 hours. What enticements except for a roomier seat? Not worth flying UA.

At those prices, I would agree with you. When I’ve searched, UA has been competitive — usually a little cheaper than DL or AS.

If they do nothing, there will be no more lifetime memberships active - they just have to wait. And that would not make us all mad.
I agree that lifetime members should be exempted, if only due to the optics. I still think that the policy makes sense for all other members, though.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:50 am

Thanks jsloan.

I really hope UA wises up on the lifetime membership rules, like Delta did.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:27 pm

But what is unique to UA is not yet making an exception for lifers. Delta did make an exception. Come on UA!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
So how long until UA copies Delta's club membership model where basic members don't get any guests and sticks it to Lifetime members as well?
After all, they can decide that we can only visit when flying in F class or only on Tuesdays per their terms.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
So how long until UA copies Delta's club membership model where basic members don't get any guests and sticks it to Lifetime members as well?
The comparison is somewhat apples to oranges, because DL Diamonds can select a basic membership as one of their free "Choice Benefits." That's a very large number of SC memberships. With UA, everybody pays.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
This is incorrect. When I joined RCC as lifetime around 1990 a secondary purpose was to use the RCC in TPE and HKG for my frequent intra-Asian flights. That was before the time of the alliances. Almost as soon as I paid the lifetime membership UA announced that business class passengers can use RCC without membership. I wrote to UA asking refund of membership fee since I always fly business class on UA and almost all my flights during those years are TPAC and intra Asia on CI, CX, etc.. An UA executive wrote back to remind me that the value of using RCC in my intra-Asia flights at HKG and TPE (non-UA flights) are worthy of my membership fee. ..
I hope you kept that letter.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
When I joined RCC as lifetime around 1990 a secondary purpose was to use the RCC in TPE and HKG for my frequent intra-Asian flights.

The RCC at that time was definitely not intended only for UA passengers.
Things change in 30 years - just as things will change in the future.

In my opinion, referencing a policy from 30 years ago won't make your case.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Things change in 30 years - just as things will change in the future.

In my opinion, referencing a policy from 30 years ago won't make your case.
To be fair, that poster was responding to a post where someone speculated that airlines never could have imagined pax would use the lounge while flying OAL and that UA was just tightening the rules to match their long-intended practice.

In this context, the knowledge of what the airline said 30 years ago is extremely relevant.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by SS255
I hope you kept that letter.
Unfortunately, I did not keep any paper records related to Mileage Plus (and many other travel materials). I already accumulated too much stuff when I hit 1 MM many years ago, when everything was paper. MP statements, newsletters, ticket receipts, ...etc

One other thing I did not keep was the congratulation letter from UA for reaching 1MM. That was the time they first established the MM program. The letter said that reaching 1MM means my MP miles will never expire. Some years later I became a member of the United Flyers Community (UFC) and was invited to Chicago for a dinner-hokey event at the United suite of the hokey stadium. mingling with UA executives, and met Graham Atkinson, President of Mileage Plus. I told him about this 1MM benefit letter. A couple weeks later he wrote back to say that it was before his time at UA, and that he has forwarded my question to his deputy at Mileage Plus to search the history. That was the last I heard about this issue, although Atkinson was so nice that he has personally responded to my other emails on other issues - until he was let go when CO took over.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:47 pm

Anybody hear anything?

I received an email from UA customer service that essentially said that an exception for lifetime members is not in their plans. translation - "Tough Luck".
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL, AL, SW, AA,
Angry

i noticed a thread collecting usernames interested in filing a class action suit and would like to be part of it

Of particular interest is that Delta who started this restriction has since modified its rule and will honor all lifetime members, why cant united do the same and probably wont unless they get slammed in social media or the threat of a class action suit

Thanks.

agreed! we need to take this to social media or make a post with the points guy asking for all lifetime members to come forth and sign a petiton

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 23, 2019 at 2:54 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.