Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant 2019 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2018?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: raehl311
Print Wikipost

Will UA Grant 2019 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2018?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Will be 27 PQD short of 1K requal - advice?

Falling just short of 1K on PQD, met PQM criteria. Advice?

sorry it’s been awhile since i’ve focused on UA but seems silly not to get over the edge given how close I am.

- Chances they’d grant it to me anyways if I write in?

- is there any kind of PQD buy up offer?

- do buy up upgrade offers work count? I have a $133 upgrade option on an upcoming flight. I know E plus buy ups count but I’m already in E+ since I’m 1K now.

- I cancelled my UA credit cars a few years ago. I guess I could reapply for one and buy something? Which cards count for PQD these days?

thx for any guidance
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SEAflyer747
...Advice?...
My advice is search for existing thread

Credit cards don't get you PQDs. Some upgrade offers result in PQDs, most don't. More answers in thread below.

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 8, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- do buy up upgrade offers work count? I have a $133 upgrade option on an upcoming flight. I know E plus buy ups count but I’m already in E+ since I’m 1K now.
The online buy-up offers don't give you PQD, but if you call and ask to be re-fared into first class, it will. The key is to make sure that the amount you're being charged is the difference between what you paid originally and the current cost of the flight. Note that if you have a connection, you need to upfare the entire journey, not one leg at a time.

If you explain what you're doing, you may be able to get a sympathetic agent to let you buy up to a more expensive economy fare without charging the change fee. That could be cheaper than buying all the way to F.

UA may give it to you anyway, at 27 PQD short, but personally I wouldn't risk it. If they didn't, you wouldn't really have much recourse.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Falling just short of 1K on PQD, met PQM criteria. Advice?
- Chances they’d grant it to me anyways if I write in?
Links to prior year discussion and outcomes are in the wiki of this thread

- is there any kind of PQD buy up offer? ...
Likely, but the fees in the past have been ugly
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)

- do buy up upgrade offers work count? I have a $133 upgrade option on an upcoming flight. ...
Up-fares work BUT upgrade fees generally do not work
Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

I know E plus buy ups count but I’m already in E+ since I’m 1K now....
do the E+ purchase without your MP account on the ticket

- I cancelled my UA credit cars a few years ago. I guess I could reapply for one and buy something? Which cards count for PQD these days?
none

and as already suggested
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Does anyone have experience with UA granting upgrade certificates at the next tier if you're very close to the next PQM milestone? I'm about 25 PQM away from 2 RPU and 2 GPU and was hoping I wouldn't have to do a SDC to get the remaining miles.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Does anyone have experience with UA granting upgrade certificates at the next tier if you're very close to the next PQM milestone? I'm about 25 PQM away from 2 RPU and 2 GPU and was hoping I wouldn't have to do a SDC to get the remaining miles.
my suggestion: do the SDC
getagb likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Currently set to end the year at 73,579 PQMs but $17,922 PQDs. Consensus seems to be that it's possible but fairly unlikely that they'd bump me to Plat, right?

I have one remaining trip and could try to SDC my way to enough PQMs, but doing so would require figuring out a way to route to California and then back east on a DFW-IAH-IAD ticket. Doesn't seem to worth it to me.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA better let 8 miles slide w/ $30k spent.
At $30k ... yeah, UA will bump you ... it is near certain. A colleague of mine was last year short 5k miles to Gold but she had $25k PQD ... they gave her Gold automatically, no request needed.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:31 pm

I feel like this is similar to many of the questions in this thread. I will be 88 PQM short of 1K status with about $16k in spend. I already have a few flights booked in January.

I am wondering if I will have a chance to get 1K as is. I called UA Premier and they said it was possible that Premier marketing would bump me, but couldn’t say for sure. I should call back in January. Our travel management partner thought the same, but I would hate to be so close and risk it.

I fly out of ORD and I remember a few years ago doing a ORD-SPI-ORD run for 500 or 1000 miles to keep gold status. I would have to do that on the 24th and would hate to tick off the fam for being away on Christmas Eve day.

*** UPDATE ***
I answered my own question - I found the ORD-SPI-ORD on the 24th for $155 leaving at 8am and getting back at 11am. I lose the morning, but then I know for sure I have 1K and it doesn’t cost me that much. I may even be able to take advantage of the status on my award travel from the 26th to the 1st.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 19, 2018 at 9:18 pm Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA better let 8 miles slide w/ $30k spent.
Originally Posted by cfischer
At $30k ... yeah, UA will bump you ... it is near certain. A colleague of mine was last year short 5k miles to Gold but she had $25k PQD ... they gave her Gold automatically, no request needed.
If this was AC they would've insisted you fly the extra 8 miles to get your status! Penny wise, pound foolish!

-James
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by HighZ
I answered my own question - I found the ORD-SPI-ORD on the 24th for $155 leaving at 8am and getting back at 11am. I lose the morning, but then I know for sure I have 1K and it doesn’t cost me that much. I may even be able to take advantage of the status on my award travel from the 26th to the 1st.
I would say the odds are good on being comped the status, but it's really not worth tossing the dice.
HighZ likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: United 1K Hilton Diamond
In a weird spot. But I wonder if I have a possibly at plat.

yyc based flyer that likes to head back home to ord that could really use the extra econplus allowances for family. Additional flights not an option.

I'm currently

68,995 pqm
but 13,659 pqd.

granted I'm not required to have any pqd but hell its worth a shot right with 2x pqd?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by OccasionalCanuck

yyc based flyer that likes to head back home to ord that could really use the extra econplus allowances for family. Additional flights not an option.

I'm currently

68,995 pqm
but 13,659 pqd.

granted I'm not required to have any pqd but hell its worth a shot right with 2x pqd?
I’m no expert, by any means. However I have never read status being granted for being 6000 miles short of any status regardless of the PQD.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by OccasionalCanuck

I'm currently

68,995 pqm
but 13,659 pqd.

It's worth a shot but unlikely UA will grant Platinum given how far behind you are! Most likely there will be an offer in January to upgrade for a thousand dollars it so.

N.B. Platinum is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things: a couple upgrade certs, sure, slightly higher pecking order when you're in contention to upgrade but what else? 1K is a whole other story and is something you should aim for after Gold.

-James
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
....N.B. Platinum is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things: a couple upgrade certs, sure, slightly higher pecking order when you're in contention to upgrade but what else? ...
There is a bit more that matters to some -- such as up to 8 can be guested into E+ (a significant benefit for families), lower award fees, access to IN, higher bag allowance, .... any of those can be significant in the right set of circumstances. See Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated] for a more complete discussion.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
...1K is a whole other story and is something you should aim for after Gold. ....
True 1K is a significant step up BUT is also a large gap to artificially overcome for those can not focus on just getting status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.