Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-SIN Route Performance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by jsloan
Actually, SQ codeshares with UA on some domestic flights now (and possibly with B6 also? I seem to remember that). So, here's hoping the relationship is thawing. (The codeshares are ex-IAH, which is probably why they picked UA, but, still, baby steps.

Still, between UA preferring to put people on NH and SQ preferring to have people fly SQ metal TPAC, it's hard for me to see there being a huge market for UA codeshares on short-haul SQ flights (or for UA fares that allow the use of those same SQ flights; the codeshare isn't really necessary).
Just wanted to point out that even though UA isn't putting its code on SQ flights beyond SIN, the rules for some of the deep discount TPAC fares to some places covered by the ANA JV are allowing connecting through SIN on SQ and Jetstar (and I could've sworn I saw a third carrier, but can't remember/find it now, probably MI), combinable with the usual NH flights through NRT/HND.
example SFO-KUL: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=S...993*.USD.70993
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by rob_flies_ua; Oct 4, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Just wanted to point out that even though UA isn't putting its code on SQ flights beyond SIN, the rules for some of the deep discount TPAC fares to some places covered by the ANA JV are allowing connecting through SIN on SQ and Jetstar (and I could've sworn I saw a third carrier, but can't remember/find it now, probably MI), combinable with the usual NH flights through NRT/HND.
example SFO-KUL: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=S...993*.USD.70993
Thanks; I've seen this once or twice but I wasn't sure if was still around. I guess there are a few routes where UA does find that it makes sense.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I've flown this route a dozen times this year. I have no empirical data, but I'm thoroughly impressed with how well it's doing. It's always fairly full. R space is very hard to get. The 789 is a pleasure to fly, even in E+. I meet people going to Bangkok, Manila, Maldives, Jakarta, Chennai, Mumbai, KL and of course Singapore. They're adding the 2nd daily SIN-SFO flight in October (AM & PM) and hopefully PE & Real Polaris soon (not sure when). Once that happens, anyone who cares about any kind of lifetime status on UA will be hard pressed to give up the 17K+ BIS miles and fly SQ. UA may have found another TLV here...
I know this is a slightly older thread, but I couldn't agree more! It's still going to be painful flying in economy. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fly this before the pandemic began. I'm glad I have some time to think because PY isn't available yet. Apparently regular economy seats have only 3 inches of recline? Whoa!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Others may feel differently, but I would not make any decisions based on lifetime status unless it was within reach in the next year or two. I certainly wouldn't choose UA in Y over SQ in PE for a 17 hour flight on that basis. (And in fact, I don't really see myself voluntarily flying that route in Y or PE - I'd find a way into J either on an award, via upgrade, or by purchasing a deep discount J fare.)
SS255, spin88, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
I'd disagree. I stumbled into LT status and now that I have it, I find myself more loyal to those brands than ever before. I think airlines realize this and won't dilute their LT programs.

As for SQ on this route, I think they're close to being done. Covid derailed UA's SFO assault on SQ.

- 2x daily HKG
- 2x daily SIN
- 1x daily DEL
- 1x daily BLR

Post-covid, those UA routes will return in force. Combined with SQ's financial woes, I'd expect SQ to kill the SFO-HKG 5th freedom and continue to regress from there.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Im glad someone discovered this thread.

I became a huge fan of LAX/SIN and SFO/SIN just to get LT status. I loved LAX/SIN and was sorry to see it go. I too noticed that LAX/SIN was always a little lighter than SFO.

It was also the case that UA needed four aircraft (rounding up!) when they had two departure cities. Twice daily SFO/SIN could be managed, all else being equal, with three B789s. Im grabbing at straws here because Id love to see the LAX flight come back. Singapore had two daily flights from LAX for a while. What are the chances that the decision to by UA to abandon LAX was at least partially driven by better aircraft utilization with twice daily flights from SFO?
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Im glad someone discovered this thread.

I became a huge fan of LAX/SIN and SFO/SIN just to get LT status. I loved LAX/SIN and was sorry to see it go. I too noticed that LAX/SIN was always a little lighter than SFO.

It was also the case that UA needed four aircraft (rounding up!) when they had two departure cities. Twice daily SFO/SIN could be managed, all else being equal, with three B789s. Im grabbing at straws here because Id love to see the LAX flight come back. Singapore had two daily flights from LAX for a while. What are the chances that the decision to by UA to abandon LAX was at least partially driven by better aircraft utilization with twice daily flights from SFO?
IMO, aircraft utilization probably had a fairly minor role in the decision to move the LAX-SIN flight to a second daily SFO-SIN. It's mainly about economics: UA simply has more pricing power at its fortress TPAC hub than it does at the hyper-competitive free-for-all that is LAX. The aircraft utilization benefit was probably the cherry on top.

As an Angeleno with family in SE Asia, of course I'd love to see LAX-SIN return (or LAX-HKG for that matter), but I'm not counting on it anytime soon.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dkc192
IMO, aircraft utilization probably had a fairly minor role in the decision to move the LAX-SIN flight to a second daily SFO-SIN. It's mainly about economics: UA simply has more pricing power at its fortress TPAC hub than it does at the hyper-competitive free-for-all that is LAX. The aircraft utilization benefit was probably the cherry on top.
LAX-SIN J cabin was filled with 1Ks on GPUs. Great for upgrades, bad for revenue.
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Singapore had two daily flights from LAX for a while. What are the chances that the decision to by UA to abandon LAX was at least partially driven by better aircraft utilization with twice daily flights from SFO?
SQ was flying twice daily nonstops from LAX and SFO (though I don't think SFO was 7 days a week). They were also operating a connecting route to SIN from each.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Others may feel differently, but I would not make any decisions based on lifetime status unless it was within reach in the next year or two. I certainly wouldn't choose UA in Y over SQ in PE for a 17 hour flight on that basis. (And in fact, I don't really see myself voluntarily flying that route in Y or PE - I'd find a way into J either on an award, via upgrade, or by purchasing a deep discount J fare.)
They're at totally different price points. Obviously J would be a lot more comfortable no matter which airline you're on. I'm not a fan of SQ's program since their miles are hard coded to expire in like 3 years. As it was mentioned in another thread, PY isn't available on UA yet. I think that would be the bare minimum to survive a 17 hour flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd disagree. I stumbled into LT status and now that I have it, I find myself more loyal to those brands than ever before. I think airlines realize this and won't dilute their LT programs.

As for SQ on this route, I think they're close to being done. Covid derailed UA's SFO assault on SQ.

- 2x daily HKG
- 2x daily SIN
- 1x daily DEL
- 1x daily BLR

Post-covid, those UA routes will return in force. Combined with SQ's financial woes, I'd expect SQ to kill the SFO-HKG 5th freedom and continue to regress from there.
UA is also suffering financially. What makes you think that SQ can't compete post-COVID? Both airlines have been raising billions over the past 10 months.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192

As an Angeleno with family in SE Asia, of course I'd love to see LAX-SIN return (or LAX-HKG for that matter), but I'm not counting on it anytime soon.
If LAX-SIN was abandoned before COVID due to performance reason, it's probably never going to happen again right? Why would the future be any different? I guess having an AM and PM flight is great because everyone have different time preferences.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
LAX-SIN J cabin was filled with 1Ks on GPUs. Great for upgrades, bad for revenue.
I had a feast traveling to SIN and back in 2018 and 2019. If I had an upgradeable fare and the SFO segment cleared, LAX always cleared too. I think that more than once, they deducted just one GPU for both legs, which surprised me. Back then I was accumulating GPUs faster than I could use them.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Others may feel differently, but I would not make any decisions based on lifetime status unless it was within reach in the next year or two. I certainly wouldn't choose UA in Y over SQ in PE for a 17 hour flight on that basis. (And in fact, I don't really see myself voluntarily flying that route in Y or PE - I'd find a way into J either on an award, via upgrade, or by purchasing a deep ​​​​​​discount J fare.)
One reason for not modifying behavior based on lifetime membership aspirations is the possibility of a moving, or removed, target.

I am acutely aware of this pitfall. I bought a lifetime spousal United Club membership, with promises that it would be my oasis in the airport, only to have that contract unilaterally abrogated with a new requirement for same-day UA or *A travel. I got Lifetime United Clubbed!

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

I was well on the way toward attaining Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite (formerly Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite) status when they discontinued new lifetime qualification for that level.

I was savagely Bonvyed!

On the other hand, if one is willing to take the risk that the program will remain beneficial I am confident that UA will not kill the One Million Miller (1 MM) golden goose there remains another reason for caution:

Value of lifetime benefits versus "cost" to get them.

It has been oft-repeated FlyerTalk (FT) wisdom not to spend inordinate sums of money for goals many years in the future. Yet I see nothing wrong with choosing longer routing, such as LAS-IAH-HNL-GUM vice LAS-LAX-HNL-GUM, or vacations to places like SIN, with long-term goals in mind.

That is what FT is all about. Mileage runs are not completely extinct, especially for the thrifty, or the young whose bodies can still withstand 17 hours in Y. For some, this is a fun hobby.

Make decisions as fully informed as possible.

I sincerely hope you do not get Lifetime United Clubbed nor Bonvyed.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Dec 3, 2020 at 8:46 am
Old Dec 2, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by lsquare
They're at totally different price points. Obviously J would be a lot more comfortable no matter which airline you're on. I'm not a fan of SQ's program since their miles are hard coded to expire in like 3 years. As it was mentioned in another thread, PY isn't available on UA yet. I think that would be the bare minimum to survive a 17 hour flight.
Sorry, going O/T for a moment, but I've done this flight several times in Y, often just a few days apart. I've survived it by trying to go on more open flights and snagging my own row. One time it was the very last row of coach, but it was all mine. I also take my own blanket and pillow and spread UA's "blankets" across the seats to make them a bit more comfortable. It's just fine.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Sorry, going O/T for a moment, but I've done this flight several times in Y, often just a few days apart. I've survived it by trying to go on more open flights and snagging my own row. One time it was the very last row of coach, but it was all mine. I also take my own blanket and pillow and spread UA's "blankets" across the seats to make them a bit more comfortable. It's just fine.
There is a huge difference between a packed flight in economy and one where you get three seats to yourself. If all your flights were packed then Id be really impressed at your resilience. 3 open seats is preferable to Biz sometimes for me.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.