FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SFO-SIN Route Performance
View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:54 pm
SPN Lifer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Others may feel differently, but I would not make any decisions based on lifetime status unless it was within reach in the next year or two. I certainly wouldn't choose UA in Y over SQ in PE for a 17 hour flight on that basis. (And in fact, I don't really see myself voluntarily flying that route in Y or PE - I'd find a way into J either on an award, via upgrade, or by purchasing a deep ​​​​​​discount J fare.)
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I'd disagree. I stumbled into LT status and now that I have it, I find myself more loyal to those brands than ever before. I think airlines realize this and won't dilute their LT programs.
One reason for not modifying behavior based on lifetime membership aspirations is the possibility of a moving, or removed, target.

I am acutely aware of this pitfall. I bought a lifetime spousal United Club membership, with promises that it would be my oasis in the airport, only to have that contract unilaterally abrogated with a new requirement for same-day UA or *A travel. I got Lifetime United Clubbed!

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

I was well on the way toward attaining Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite (formerly Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite) status when they discontinued new lifetime qualification for that level.

I was savagely Bonv°yed!

On the other hand, if one is willing to take the risk that the program will remain beneficial — I am confident that UA will not kill the One Million Miller (1 MM) golden goose — there remains another reason for caution:

Value of lifetime benefits versus "cost" to get them.

It has been oft-repeated FlyerTalk (FT) wisdom not to spend inordinate sums of money for goals many years in the future. Yet I see nothing wrong with choosing longer routing, such as LAS-IAH-HNL-GUM vice LAS-LAX-HNL-GUM, or vacations to places like SIN, with long-term goals in mind.

That is what FT is all about. Mileage runs are not completely extinct, especially for the thrifty, or the young whose bodies can still withstand 17 hours in Y. For some, this is a fun hobby.

Make decisions as fully informed as possible.

I sincerely hope you do not get Lifetime United Clubbed nor Bonv°yed.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Dec 3, 2020 at 8:46 am