Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by benewr
Boarding on Wednesday for UA 2490 (787-10) at EWR C108 was tragic.

Wheelchairs boarded first followed by all the families with any sort of kids pushing like crazy.
Then the incompetent GA called « Active Military, GS and all other preboarding groups ».
Of course it turned into a total mess.

Worst part is when she barked at my GS / Business class companion for after scanning the BP for having a roller bag, a backpack and a computer in a protection : « YOU CAN’T HAVE 3 CARRY ON, MOVE AWAY AND CHECK YOUR BAG »

« This is your guide to United Global Services, the very best that United has to offer. We are more focused than ever on providing you with exceptional service. Be sure to look for the United Global Services emblem representing our unwavering commitment to provide you with our best service possible. »
Is the person holding onto the laptop by itself, or is it in a separate bag? Or are they carrying on a desktop?

Perhaps the delivery could be better, but if it's the latter, your companion had one too many carry-on bags per policy. GS is not exempt from this policy.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Is the person holding onto the laptop by itself, or is it in a separate bag? Or are they carrying on a desktop?

Perhaps the delivery could be better, but if it's the latter, your companion had one too many carry-on bags per policy. GS is not exempt from this policy.

A desktop ? Seriously ?

The whole thing was ridiculous.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:59 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
technically, laptops in protective sleeves are not enumerated in the exceptions (which includes things like jackets, reading materials, etc) listed as the official policy on the website. should the above photo be classified as a personal item? IMO no, but you can't fault the gate agent for enforcement. I suppose you can fault UA for inconsistency on a flight by flight basis though. Perhaps you could claim it was merchandise purchased at the airport? lol.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../carry-on.html
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by jcturnbull
technically, laptops in protective sleeves are not enumerated in the exceptions (which includes things like jackets, reading materials, etc) listed as the official policy on the website. should the above photo be classified as a personal item? IMO no, but you can't fault the gate agent for enforcement. I suppose you can fault UA for inconsistency on a flight by flight basis though. Perhaps you could claim it was merchandise purchased at the airport? lol.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../carry-on.html
I mostly fault the agent for the tone, the wording, the agressivity of the delivery of something that could have been : “ Sir, could you please consolidate that computer in the bag please?”
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I mostly fault the agent for the tone, the wording, the agressivity of the delivery of something that could have been : “ Sir, could you please consolidate that computer in the bag please?”
Sadly very unlikely possible GA behavior at EWR.

David
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:06 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
fair enough!
Old Jan 7, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM (40 yr MP), HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Sadly very unlikely possible GA behavior at EWR.

David
EWR GAs are some of the worst in the system. Almost all of my meltdowns in my 40 years of flying UA have been there.
benewr likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
LGA GA called every preboard group to board at once. Chaotic as usual but at least LGA gate areas are a lot more spacious than EWR. More than half of the plane were preboarders.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
If a 1K is traveling with a non-premiere on the same PNR, are they both allowed to pre-board together?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
If a 1K is traveling with a non-premiere on the same PNR, are they both allowed to pre-board together?
Yes, I usually just tell the gate agent "its me plus N people"
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:30 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by narvik
Originally Posted by nexus7556
Yes, I usually just tell the gate agent "its me plus N people"
Or "...and she's with me" after the exchange of pleasantries with the GA when traveling with my wife... even when not on the same PNR (seems to be about 50/50). Most GAs don't care/wouldn't have noticed (since it seems all of the "not boarding yet" alarms are silenced during the preboard phase) ... some excited to finally meet the Mrs.... others just "Thank you"
SPN Lifer, narvik and nexus7556 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:00 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Flying in Y on a UA ticket and on AC metal. I'm Aeroplan 35K (Star Alliance Silver) What zone should I expect to board with ?
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by flying chef
Flying in Y on a UA ticket and on AC metal. I'm Aeroplan 35K (Star Alliance Silver) What zone should I expect to board with ?
If AC metal AC will recognize your 35k and give you your 35k benefits (priority check-in/bag/seat selection/boarding)

If united metal, zone 2 for star alliance silver (no other benefits)

​​​​​​*silver has zero guaranteed benefits via *alliance other than better standby priority, this is just United throwing you a bone
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:22 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
At CLE this morning -- and a 737 with a UG list 43 deep -- "I'd next like to continue our pre boarding with 17 of United's most valued customers -- our 17 Premier 1Ks and their families are welcome to board. I'll be beginning Group boarding with Group 1 in just a few minutes...Premier 1Ks are welcome to preboard"

I thought it was a very nice and tactful way to handle it...
SPN Lifer, 8MiHi and OhioBoiler like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
At CLE this morning -- and a 737 with a UG list 43 deep -- "I'd next like to continue our pre boarding with 17 of United's most valued customers -- our 17 Premier 1Ks and their families are welcome to board. I'll be beginning Group boarding with Group 1 in just a few minutes...Premier 1Ks are welcome to preboard"

I thought it was a very nice and tactful way to handle it...
Wow! I don't go through CLE much, but I find 17 1Ks there surprising. Is that common? Typically from what I've seen, it looks like even at hubs the GS & 1K preboarding on narrowbodies tops out at around 20. So I'm thinking that is a relatively high number for CLE.

I have seen GAs do it that way a couple times, when there are large numbers of status preboards, and I agree it is a good way to handle the situation.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.