Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA says Passport Required for Puerto Rico

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA says Passport Required for Puerto Rico

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I was going to LHR from ORD last year. I gave the TSA doc checker my DL and BP. He insisted in seeing my passport. I declined, stating that TSA is not customs or immigration and they only have to verify that the BP and the name on it matched my ID. He wouldn't back down. Asked for a supervisor. Supervisor came and backed me up.
Interesting that you felt it was worth the effort of getting a supervisor involved when I am guessing you had your passport with you the entire time.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
Interesting that you felt it was worth the effort of getting a supervisor involved when I am guessing you had your passport with you the entire time.
It was. My passport is none of their business.
EmailKid and chavala like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
UA classifies Puerto Rico flights as international (including lounge access) and that is what trips the passport info. (No, you do not need it)

BQN is a small airport that is absolutely packed when 1071 arrives.

Last edited by trm2; Sep 2, 2018 at 8:10 pm Reason: Adding no passport needed
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Are there different rules for flights between two US destinations that have intermediate stops outside the US?

I took the Island Hopper (UA 154) HNL-GUM. It makes 5 stops, two in the Marshall Islands and three in Micronesia, before ending up in Guam. I initially had a card stock BP for HNL-GUM that showed "INTL" (reprinted it to have the six individual passes - all showing "INTL") and the agents in HNL made the "be prepared to show your passports" announcement. Technically you can board at HNL and not deplane until GUM, or get off at each stop (except KWA) and wait in the departure lounge. That announcement may have been because nearly everyone was getting off at an intermediate stop. I don't know what would have happened if I just showed them my DL. I would have brought my passport anyway, since I wanted the stamps from each of the intermediate stops.

Has anyone been on the nonstop HNL-GUM flight? Was a passport required? Do you have to go through Immigration? I did (used GE kiosk).
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Are there different rules for flights between two US destinations that have intermediate stops outside the US?
Technically you can board at HNL and not deplane until GUM
You have left the country, so every bit of international requirement applies. It doesn't matter, and they can't be sure, whether you got off or didn't. Not only the FSM/RMI, but plenty of GUM-US travel goes through Japan. It doesn't matter if you entered Japan or stayed airside, you left the country.

Has anyone been on the nonstop HNL-GUM flight? Was a passport required? Do you have to go through Immigration? I did (used GE kiosk).
If you flew HNL-GUM nonstop you couldn't have used a GE kiosk. That operation is purely domestic except for inbound Guam customs inspection. The reverse, however, is different. The CNMI, Guam and 50US+DC+PR are 3 different immigration regimes, each latter one more restrictive than the former. GUM-SPN has only CNMI customs inspection. SPN-GUM, however, has USCBP inspection for admissibility to GUM, and GUM-HNL has USCBP pre-boarding inspection for admissibility to the States. (US customs inspection is done in HNL after bags are reclaimed, and they can't make a GE kiosk to work customs-only.) A passport is not "required" for citizens, but they need something to determine admissibility.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
He stood up for his rights and hurrah for that. I would do the same.
iluv2fly and EmailKid like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
We still do not know if the OP was for a US citizen, but with the recent INS enforcement perhaps this is UA getting cautious and staring you need to show citizenship/visa via passport, albeit PR is a US territory.

UA may not want someone saying but you didn"t tell me I would need a passport . These days all my international itineraries have the warning in big bold letters about meeting entry requirements.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I'm confused, why does citizenship matter? Doesn't it only matter where the flight is coming from?
In particular -- a US citizen flying from non-US to Puerto Rico would still need a passport, right?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LXFlyer
I'm confused, why does citizenship matter? Doesn't it only matter where the flight is coming from?
We still don't know if the traveler mentioned in the OP is a U.S. citizen or not.

In particular -- a US citizen flying from non-US to Puerto Rico would still need a passport, right?
Right.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LXFlyer
Correct, if Puerto Rico is your point of entry to the USA.
The discussion was about a purely domestic flight

A non-USA citizen on a domestic flight would not need documents either as there is no document checks on arrival for a domestic flight. The non-citizen would need an appropriate ID to clear TSA at their domestic departure airport.
When traveling in a "foreign" (to you) country, having your passport is always a go idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.