Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA says Passport Required for Puerto Rico

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA says Passport Required for Puerto Rico

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Maybe the passport requirement is to help get BACK into the US after the visit?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
Maybe the passport requirement is to help get BACK into the US after the visit?
Going to Puerto Rico, you never left the USA.
As the returning flight is domestic, you will never see immigration or customs. The only ID checks are TSA (which does not care about destination) and if you check a bag (which if you don't will not occur).
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Going to Puerto Rico, you never left USA.
You and I know that, but more and more it seems like that doesn't matter.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You and I know that, but more and more it seems like that doesn't matter.
When on a domestic UA flight have you been asked for your passport (instead of a standard photo ID)?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:32 pm

When on a domestic UA flight have you been asked for a passport?
What I am getting it is how the borders are being administered currently is defying some logic and past precedents. It wouldn't be a surprise to me if places like Guam and PR were getting "confused" as part of that.

I don't know anything for a fact, except that I keep reading about bizarre passport and citizenship issues going on.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Going to Puerto Rico, you never left the USA.
As the returning flight is domestic, you will never see immigration or customs. The only ID checks are TSA (which does not care about destination) and if you check a bag (which if you don't will not occur).
+1
Unless something has changed recently this is total my experience so not sure what all this is about.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:40 pm

What I am getting it is how the borders are being administered currently is defying some logic and past precedents. ....
There is no border in the case of a domestic flight from PR and this thread is about a UA "statement" -- which was likely misunderstood / misread.

What happens at borders is for Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:47 pm

There is no border in the case of a domestic flight from PR and this thread is about a UA "statement" -- which was likely misunderstood / misread.

What happens at borders is for Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Sure there is a border, there is a border between each state as well, how it is managed is part of the question. This article (link below) which may or may not be accurate states that you should be prepared to prove citizenship, maybe it is wrapped up in that. I agree that the OP was probably simply confused, but this thread is to discuss the concept and I am just throwing something out there. A drivers license alone certainly doesn't prove any kind of current residency or citizenship.

USA Article PR

edited: format of link

Last edited by AirMiles2001; Sep 2, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:16 pm

Sure there is a border, there is a border between each state as well, how it is managed is part of the question. ...
There is no international border and no border ID checks when flying domestical from Perto Rico. That is a simple fact.

This article (link below) ...
USA Article PR
That article is mixing cruise and other non-USA island travel with port of entry into Puerto Rico -- and yes there then are document checks and passports a good idea.

the opening line of the article seems very clear and unambiguous
If your itinerary includes only U.S. states and territories, you don't need to bring your passport
The comments about USCBP are only relevant when you are at a port of entry -- which Puerto Rico can be for many cruises, however, we are discussing a domestic flight on UA.
Previously US citizens traveling in North America and the Caribbean have used just a drivers license -- that is becoming less viable BUT it is not relevant to this domestic flight discussion.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:22 pm

There is no international border and no border ID checks when flying domestical from Perto Rico. That is a simple fact.

That article is mixing cruise and other non-USA island travel with port of entry into Puerto Rico -- and yes there then are document checks and passports a good idea.

the opening line of the article seems very clear and unambiguous

The comments about USCBP are only relevant when you are at a port of entry -- which Puerto Rico can be for many cruises, however, we are discussing a domestic flight on UA.
Previously US citizens traveling in North America and the Caribbean have used just a drivers license -- that is becoming less viable BUT it is not relevant to this domestic flight discussion.

Not sure why you insist that it isn't relevant to the discussion. This thread below is old but it is evidence that flights to PR are sometimes boarded for random checks. Either way, I carry both my passports with me everywhere.

Random ID checks on flights to PR
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:35 pm

Not sure why you insist that it isn't relevant to the discussion. This thread below is old but it is evidence that flights to PR are sometimes boarded for random checks. Either way, I carry both my passports with me everywhere.

Random ID checks on flights to PR
A single comment with no discussion from 8 years ago.

I also carry my passport for reasons stated earlier in the thread.

Note these very rare random checks have been reported for flights other than PR and if they were even remotely common, one would not need to reach back eight years.

The reason for correcting incorrect information is not every US citizen has a passport (less than 10%) and that lack should not inhibit them from traveling to Puerto Rico any than more Hawaii or New Mexico or somewhere esle in the USA they wish to travel by airline.

Some of us chose to carry a passport during our all travels but to suggest you should or have to for domestic travel is incorrect.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
When on a domestic UA flight have you been asked for your passport (instead of a standard photo ID)?
TSA wanted my passport when I was flying SFO-SNA. I came from BART, so cleared security in the international terminal.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
TSA wanted my passport when I was flying SFO-SNA. I came from BART, so cleared security in the international terminal.
There is no TSA at SFO. SFO contracts Covenant Security.

This has been reported before, it's simply an error by the document checker who assumed you had an international flight since you were clearing security at the international terminal. They're not hiring Rhodes Scholars for these positions.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
There is no TSA at SFO. SFO contracts Covenant Security.

This has been reported before, it's simply an error by the document checker who assumed you had an international flight since you were clearing security at the international terminal. They're not hiring Rhodes Scholars for these positions.
Correct. They also couldn’t care less if you used your DL for an Int’l flight. Being asked does not mean it’s required.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton

Correct. They also couldn’t care less if you used your DL for an Int’l flight. Being asked does not mean it’s required.
I was going to LHR from ORD last year. I gave the TSA doc checker my DL and BP. He insisted in seeing my passport. I declined, stating that TSA is not customs or immigration and they only have to verify that the BP and the name on it matched my ID. He wouldn't back down. Asked for a supervisor. Supervisor came and backed me up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.