Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA says Passport Required for Puerto Rico

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA says Passport Required for Puerto Rico

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If the question is, having a passport while traveling a useful backup idea, I doubt many would disagree.

I always carry a passport just in case I lose my other ID (such as when it was stolen in BUD) or I have a change in travel plans that would require a passport (this occurred once and I was prepared).

However, carrying it just for diversions is perhaps a bit overkill. I doubt most road warriors on FT with many hundreds / even thousands of flights, even with a few diversions, has ever once needed a passport for such as reason. While a small number may have had such a needed, suspect this is very rare, I have not in 50+ years of flying with some 1,400 flights has that need arisen for my travels.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If the question is, having a passport while traveling a useful backup idea, I doubt many would disagree.

[...]

However, carrying it just for diversions is perhaps a bit overkill.
We're literally talking about the difference between slipping one's passport into a carry-on or not doing so. I don't see how "overkill" could ever enter the discussion.

I doubt most road warriors on FT with many hundreds / even thousands of flights, even with a few diversions, has ever once needed a passport for such as reason. ...
We're talking about the very specific example of flying to a U.S. territory in the far east of the Caribbean. Obviously, this scenario doesn't apply to probably 98% of the average traveler's flights, just like flight cancellations don't apply to 98% of a traveler's flights. But as with flight cancellations, a very small amount of foresight can save a lot of time and hassle. If I unexpectedly found myself with 4 or 8 hours in Punta Cana or Puerto Plata, I'd rather go for a nice seaside lunch or dinner than sit at PUJ or POP.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by joe_miami
We're talking about the very specific example of flying to a U.S. territory in the far east of the Caribbean. Obviously, this scenario doesn't apply to probably 98% of the average traveler's flights, just like flight cancellations don't apply to 98% of a traveler's flights. But as with flight cancellations, a very small amount of foresight can save a lot of time and hassle. If I unexpectedly found myself with 4 or 8 hours in Punta Cana or Puerto Plata, I'd rather go for a nice seaside lunch or dinner than sit at PUJ or POP.
Totally get your frustration because many were being unnecessarily harsh to your point. Never really thought about taking a passport on domestic flights that cross international airspace. That’s a good idea to start doing. Your point is well taken.

As to the reason for the notice to the OP from UA... there is a 0% chance UA has ever or will ever require or even suggest taking a passport on such flights for that reason. The notice the OP saw was either generic language with all flights or a bug.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:04 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
It makes absolutely no sense at all. Should flights that skirt the coast of China (i.e., virtually all North American TPACs) also require that all pax have China visas? How about flights that overfly Russia (a high percentage of Europe-Asia flights) - should they also require Russia visas?

The fact is, airlines simply do not take diversions into account in the context of documentation requirements. Typically when an aircraft diverts to an unscheduled country, all pax are maintained in a secure area and do not enter the country, regardless whether they have their passports with them.
On my diverted EWR-DEL last week we were close to the Nordic region and they announced a diversion for a medical emergency, we backtracked about an hour and were told we were going to LHR because of passenger visa issues.... I would guess Copenhagen would have been the closest airport, but I took that to mean that LHR was a better place to rebook all the passengers, which by the fact that it looked like the 777 carried on the next day with maybe 10 pax probably meant they were right....

Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tht
On my diverted EWR-DEL last week we were close to the Nordic region and they announced a diversion for a medical emergency, we backtracked about an hour and were told we were going to LHR because of passenger visa issues.... I would guess Copenhagen would have been the closest airport, but I took that to mean that LHR was a better place to rebook all the passengers
Perhaps referring to the passenger with the medical emergency, who may have held a UK visa but not a Schengen visa. Otherwise, I find it doubtful they would choose the UK based on lax visa rules compared to the Schengen zone
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I wonder if the passenger in the OP's question is a foreigner and has a foreign passport in the profile. Many many years ago, the INS in Buffalo said to somebody I know that to go to Puerto Rico you need your passport. Naturally, when that person travelled to Puerto Rico, at no point a passport had to be shown there or coming back.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Is there immigration in Puerto Rico for flights from the USA?

I am not a US citizen so would I need to show my green card?

I use a CA DL for domestic travel and use my Green Card (via GE) for getting back into the USA. US immigration does not care abut my passport.

Rest of world I use my passport (and immigration folks spend an age looking at it due to all the foreign stamps and visas).

Would not have occurred to me to take my passport with me to a US territory.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Would not have occurred to me to take my passport with me to a US territory.
Strictly speaking, as a matter of law, foreigners are required to carry proof of legal presence at all times:

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/...-0-0-8289.html

I haven't flown to/from P.R. in a long time, but I'm guessing ICE pays closer attention to those flights, since it's not uncommon for people to enter P.R. illegally.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

I always carry a passport just in case I lose my other ID (such as when it was stolen in BUD) or I have a change in travel plans that would require a passport (this occurred once and I was prepared).

However, carrying it just for diversions is perhaps a bit overkill. I doubt most road warriors on FT with many hundreds / even thousands of flights, even with a few diversions, has ever once needed a passport for such as reason. While a small number may have had such a needed, suspect this is very rare, I have not in 50+ years of flying with some 1,400 flights has that need arisen for my travels.
Having worked in PR for 6 months several years back I can say I was at that time NOT asked to show my passport. Now I always did carry it as I was often traveling to adjacent non US territories such as BVI. I suspect IF this is indeed the case it has something to do with the now recognized porous entry process into PR from adjacent islands and countries. I could tell many an interesting story about traveling in and out of PR but not on this forum :-).
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:06 am

Strictly speaking, as a matter of law, foreigners are required to carry proof of legal presence at all times:

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/...-0-0-8289.html

I haven't flown to/from P.R. in a long time, but I'm guessing ICE pays closer attention to those flights, since it's not uncommon for people to enter P.R. illegally.
You are correct. I am somewhat nervous about carrying my GC with me at all times in case my purse/wallet gets stolen. Getting a replacement GC is not an adventure for the feint hearted. They expire every ten years (the card not the visa) and you cannot apply prior to three months before expiration but it takes six months for the replacement card - For six months I was traveling on an "expired" GC that had a manual sticker to show it had been extended until the replacement card arrived and the GE system, strangely enough, does not recognize manual stickers - so for six months my GE did not work.

Fortunately I am white and do not get stopped on the I5 border patrol reviews between San Diego and Orange counties. Unless I speak no one would know I am not an American citizen as currently US citizens are not required to show proof of citizenship (although I do not think 1984 - George Orwell reference - is far off as people currently put RFID chips in themselves and their kids voluntarily).

Anyway, not that PR was in my future plans but one more reason to avoid the place for now - too many other places to go and see.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yet another silly thread where the correct answer is self-evident, it likely that OP simply misread the advice he was given, and has not returned to provide the information he actually received. Particularly because if someone told him that a passport is required for a USN to enter Puerto Rico from the mainland US, that someone would be wrong.

The thread has then devolved into a question of whether one ought to obtain a visa for countries one may overfly. The answer to that is the same as to OP's question: No.
chavala and nomad420 like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:20 am
Suspended

Anyway, not that PR was in my future plans but one more reason to avoid the place for now - too many other places to go and see.
There are plenty of reasons to avoid P.R., but carrying a photocopy of your green card would probably be a fairly safe middle ground, if you're worried about any type of ID check.

Originally Posted by Often1
Yet another silly thread where the correct answer is self-evident, it likely that OP simply misread the advice he was given, and has not returned to provide the information he actually received.
At minimum, I hope the OP returns to tell us if the friend referenced in the OP is a U.S. citizen or not.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:31 am

There are plenty of reasons to avoid P.R., but carrying a photocopy of your green card would probably be a fairly safe middle ground, if you're worried about any type of ID check.

At minimum, I hope the OP returns to tell us if the friend referenced in the OP is a U.S. citizen or not.
Yes, have a photo of the GC and passport on my phone. Agree on the many reasons to not travel to PR (currently)

Agree, would be nice to know if the OP's friend is a US citizen as would make us non-US citizens rethink potential plans to US territories.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by radiowell
I’ll make sure to pack mine when going to ABQ

Come to think of it, I have seen border patrol at ELP airport, even though all of their flights are domestic...

Nowadays, you probably need to bring one, whether required or not. Sad but true.
Texas border town airport immigration reviews are far more intrusive than anyone will ever generally see in PR. Along the TX border they are checking for suspicious border crossing activity and Mexicans who have entered the US border zone but have not completed the entry formalities to go beyond the border zone (as any domestic flight would take you). At MFE for example, pretty much everyone departing has to see an immigration agent up close as you hand your docs to the TSA agent. Same checks are on highways, and it’s been that way for many, many years; it’s not a recent development. None of that is of much concern in PR.

I cannot imagine taking my passport to go to PR or Alaska. When you’re talking about 1 in a million events, I could also just as likely lose or damage my passport somehow on the trip. Were I not a US citizen I would do so, since as mentioned, that is required and prudent anyway.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
You are correct. I am somewhat nervous about carrying my GC with me at all times in case my purse/wallet gets stolen.
I know someone who had the Green Card stolen at DEN airport. The INS office where that person went for the replacement said that it's an obligation to carry the GC at all times. According to them, it was better to risk having the GC stolen than not have it at all times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.