Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it rude to use premier benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm almost surprised that the airline permitted the shouter to travel that day.
Maybe these days they would talk to that passenger to ensure he calms down. But, when it happened times were different. To date it: at that time USAirways had a First Class section from ITH to PIT.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Maybe these days they would talk to that passenger to ensure he calms down. But, when it happened times were different. To date it: at that time USAirways had a First Class section from ITH to PIT.
The shouting happened at ITH? That's such a small community that odds would be good that the shouter knew someone on the flight who would have witnessed this disgraceful behavior. Plus, IME ITH doesn't get such bad lines and they seem to realize that everyone needs to be processed for departure.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yeah, I've flown through ITH a few times and never had to wait for anything, with or without status. Pretty chill airport as airports go...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jp12687
I lined up in the signed premier line. Once the agent was done with them there was a long line in the Standard line and 2 people in premier. She let me go first and everyone was pissed in the other line.

If they don't like it, they can become Premier members themselves. It's not your fault they are inferior travelers.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:27 am

This happens to me on occasion at my home airport in PDX. You go through the express TSA lane and it sometimes feeds to the front of the regular TSA lane. I usually let the next person go and then step up behind them but there's been more than once where people have made comments. Just have to be an adult and ignore it.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
At my favorite airport, MFR, yesterday, there maybe 15 people in the regular line and 2 in the Premier. Two women in the regular line got absolutely worked that they were getting bypassed for the Premier customers. Huffing and puffing and stomping. When I have the time, I go in the regular line, just because I get tired of the angry glares. Though I do wonder if these aren't the same people who were driving the speed limit -5 mph in the left lane on the way to the airport......
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
This happens to me on occasion at my home airport in PDX. You go through the express TSA lane and it sometimes feeds to the front of the regular TSA lane. I usually let the next person go and then step up behind them but there's been more than once where people have made comments. Just have to be an adult and ignore it.
There is an Express TSA lane? I will need to look for this at SAN!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato
When I have the time, I go in the regular line, just because I get tired of the angry glares.
While I understand your POV, as well as your earlier statements about MFR / "State of Jefferson" local culture, you're simply rewarding bad behavior by doing this. It's not your fault that you're GS, or that United isn't an egalitarian airline.

Allegiant flies into MFR. If they really want a "nobody's better than anyone else" experience, they're welcome to fly them.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:18 am

This brings back the memory of me once at EWR trying to get SDC at the customer service with an empty premier line but 20 people long regular line. There was only one agent behind the desk who yelled at me "I don't service Premier member"...... Fortunately, another agent returned from lunch break in 5 min and helped me right away.
Personally, I have not problem getting in the Premier line at check in desk or customer service. I normally don't try to cut the line for boarding.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
Be curious as to people's thoughts on the opposite problem. I have had a few instances where I had to go to customer service behind security (usually ORD), where there is a line for Premier and a regular line. I'll be the only one on the Premier line and then ignored/not seen for what feels like a long time (>5-10 customers taken from the regular line, or >20 minutes). At what point is it appropriate to just walk up the the next available agent or try to wave at the agents so I can be sure they saw me?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
I've had that happen at DAY.
PAX: "Hey, why does he get called ahead of us. We've been waiting."
GA: "He's Premier."

I did give the PAX an apologetic look. It was a long line that hadn't been moving very quickly. But I have a right to use the Premier line, so I do.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
There is an Express TSA lane? I will need to look for this at SAN!

Yeah, in PDX usually there's three lanes. Regular TSA security, a TSA security line for elites and United Express between PDX-SEA, and then the TSA Pre-check line, and of course a line for crew. I've seen that elite line in a lot of airports, even outside the US.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
I have never experienced that number (5+) taken in front of me. It has usually been just 1 after they finished with the customer at the desk after I arrived. I do not think that unreasonable as it usually gives the other line some sense of progress.
I have had issues with BG2 when arriving late into BG1 as they won't let me in without my insisting, politely, on going through.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
At IAD, the regular check in lanes are at the front, while Premier/1K is around behind them. I'm pretty appreciative of that perk, by the way, when I see hundreds of people in the regular lanes, knowing I just save a half an hour or so. But in every airport, if there is a premier UA lane, I take it for the speedy service. And then I use TSA Precheck to make security faster as well. And yes, if I stroll up late to the gate (which is rare - I like to board early), I will usually get in the group 1 lane, and wait till they waive me over. It's about saving time and having less stress. It is too bad flying is so complicated and stressful, but it is possible to learn how to make it easier. Nothing to apologize for in that.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
You did the right thing. Benefits are there for a reason.
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
In contrast there are times when I am giving "the look" to the non-Premier lines.

The issue at SAN (when Dan is not working) is that it is often quicker to use the non-Premier line. A couple of times I have missed the check-in luggage time even though I have been there 15 minutes before the deadline and been told I should know better than to arrive "only 60 minutes" before the flight "since I travel so often". I try and avoid that particular agent now as she obviously has an issue with passangers with status. I am not the only one who got a telling off (the guy in front of me also got told off for just missing the deadline and argued his point that he had been waiting in line for 20 minutes before the cut-off - bizarrely she was helping someone on a Basic Economy ticket who had luggage and was arguing about the luggage fees.

So use the Premier line all you want if you are entitled to use it, and ignore the looks of the others.
i completely agree with you. SAN is always a hit or miss. I always find that the premier desks are understaffed. The agents working the regular check in desks should call over premier passengers when able, but they usually ignore everyone waiting in that area.

i think that I know which agent you are talking about...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 28, 2018 at 5:45 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.