Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it rude to use premier benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by wrp96
No, it is not wrong or rude to use an advertised benefit. What would be rude is if you used it and then stuck your tongue out at everyone waiting in the other line while yelling DYKWIA!
The people waiting in line probably fly less than once a year and don't realize the rest of us fly far more often and the combined waiting time due to IRROPS (or while we had no status and were earning from the bottom) far outweighs their frustration

I remember more than one occasion where I was first in group 1 and overheard a GS in front of me comment to the GA "Next time, you should make an announcement about GS boarding so I don't get dirty looks when I cut in front of everyone."

Other than boarding and checkin, I almost never use a premier line.
I rarely need GA assistance and at the airports I goto, they typically don't have a separate line.
I never goto customer service as I find them extremely unreliable and just call the 1K line.

I do sometimes get a dirty look when I arrive at the gate when they are boarding group 3-4-5, and I go in the premier line. I don't see how going in front of people during group 3-4-5 boarding is any different than during group 1 boarding. It's still going in front.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I always wait and if occasionally the GA did not notice immediately , they will soon enough.
Best to let it be clear that UA is extending the benefit and not something you are doing on your own.
I generally do the same if the premier lane is clearly separated.

Sometimes the "lanes" are 2ft long so everything has overlapped. In those cases, I usually say "group 1?" and people will point forward "allowing" me to move along.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:11 am

Over the past 37 years I paid my dues to United. How many hundred thousands of dollars. They would not be here but for our loyalty.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Gig103
Not rude at all. Just one of those times where elite status had some real value!

Avis Preferred once saved me at least a half hour (but probably more) when an understaffed off airport location was slammed labor day weekend. While me and the woman in front of us were helped, the general line didn't move once as someone with a priceline reservation was having issuesm
This saved m{e} at NAP back in June. Avis's computer system was down (at that outstation at least) and they had 2 rather slow agents (Mediterranean speed) trying to manually write the contracts. It's an outstation where you walk up, get a ticket with a number (DMV style) and wait to be called to the counter. People with status are prioritized and effectively skip in front of everyone. There were 50+ people who based on asking around for a minute to try and figure out why there was such a congregation had been waiting for 3+ hours in some cases. Next person called in front of the 50+ waiting was me. I kind of felt bad, but not bad enough to go to the back of the line.

Originally Posted by asquare
Be curious as to people's thoughts on the opposite problem. I have had a few instances where I had to go to customer service behind security (usually ORD), where there is a line for Premier and a regular line. I'll be the only one on the Premier line and then ignored/not seen for what feels like a long time (>5-10 customers taken from the regular line, or >20 minutes). At what point is it appropriate to just walk up the the next available agent or try to wave at the agents so I can be sure they saw me?
After they call up the next non-premier I will proactively walk up as soon as that person begins walking away after being served. They are supposed to call from the premier line first but I won't give them a chance to ignore me.

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Just walk through the G1 lane with your BP out and merge smoothly without breaking stride like it's what you're supposed to do. People will probably comment less than if you hesitate.
+1, I don't run into any problem when I just walk up with the boarding pass out through G1. GA knows the deal and it hasn't been a problem yet.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 3, 2018 at 4:12 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I flew into Portland, Maine this past weekend. My experience at the Hertz counter reminded me of this thread. I have President's Circle, so I usually don't have to stop at all but just go to my car. But at the smaller airports you need to stop and pick up the key. There was a line, but the "Gold" line was empty. As I walked up and waited for the agent to finish with the current customer, the couple at the front of the line took notice. She kept nudging him and telling him not to let me jump in front. I ignored them and picked up my key. I'm sure once they realized that I only took 10 seconds, they weren't quite as upset.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687
i was flying out of HPN today and they only had 1 agent working the desk. I was checking a bag due to how small the plane is and no checked bag fitting.

therr was a giant line behind the one agent as they were helping an unaccompanied minor. I lined up in the signed premier line. Once the agent was done with them there was a long line in the Standard line and 2 people in premier. She let me go first and everyone was pissed in the other line.

is it wrong to use this advertised benefit in a small airport?

i took less than 3min to check my bags and was on my way.

Thiughts?
I had the opposite problem. 1K, flight all jacked up, baggage had to be rechecked to continue. Guy at the desk was taking EVERYONE in the standard line before me- even another guy that handed in the baggage. When I finally got short and pointed out I needed help, he had a little attitude and snotty ... tone, including grandstanding gestures to "invite me" to continue with him all the way down at the other end of the counter.

I kept it professional and the look on his face was priceless- it totally went blank- when he pulled up my itinerary. Suddenly it was "Sir".

I didn't roll him under the bus, because everyone can have a bad day. And yes, everyone else was checking in but I couldn't do anything else until those bags got rechecked and cleared.

You 'earned' the benefits by spending money. I'd say so long as you don't flaunt them to piss people off, you'd be ok.
chavala, Dublin_rfk and 8MiHi like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: Ex-UA Silver | Global Entry | Ex-HH Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
At my favorite airport, MFR, yesterday, there maybe 15 people in the regular line and 2 in the Premier. Two women in the regular line got absolutely worked that they were getting bypassed for the Premier customers. Huffing and puffing and stomping. When I have the time, I go in the regular line, just because I get tired of the angry glares. Though I do wonder if these aren't the same people who were driving the speed limit -5 mph in the left lane on the way to the airport......
I was 18 and flying my first flight without my dad coming with me to a chess tournament out of MFR was in BG1 on a paid tcon first ticket and was pushed by some probably mid 40s lady who was in group 2 I remember on her ticket. Very suspicious. I didn't do or say anything about it because I am just a little nerd peewee. Oh how typical of anyone in SO.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
remembering the old red carpet TED days, at SFO; I was tight/late and the Whole plane was loading. I walked up the red carpet lane and the GA looked at me like I was cutting in and said "we do not have first class on this flight". I just said "do you have 1K on this flight?", and butted in
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:06 am

Use the benefit you paid for, not rude at all. And NEVER engage with the shouters in any way. The world is full of weird people. You don't know what some sicko might do. You will be sharing the same general space for a few hours.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by UAL250
Nope. Don't feel bad. You deserve your benefits due to your loyalty to UA.

It does feel a bit awkward at times though, I understand how you feel. The funniest is when you're at a small airport and they call GS or Group 1 and you're the only one lol.
Yesssss this is totally true! My parents live at an outstation and every time I fly around a holiday or something like that there is a "morning rush" where a ton of people are flying on that day, all scrunched up in the economy line with nobody in Premier. I definitely feel the glares but those people aren't spending $12k+ and 100,000 miles+ per year..... So I stop feeling bad.

It's equally hilarious when you're the only one in group 1 and they know it, so they call group 1 and then start into group 2 right away... LOL
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Cutting a big line is one of my favorite parts about having status. For the money spent on the airline being able to enjoy less time waiting at the check in counter and at the gate is one of the most important and consistently delivered benefits to me.
mdbe likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
... enjoy less time waiting at the check in counter ....
That is one benefit that isn't talked about much, but that I tremendously value .
Hoping MM status with its *A Gold will retain this benefit indefinitely. Here's hoping...
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: None anymore
Outstations can be weird about premier benefits though. For example, I flew in June and the outstation has 3 flights that all leave at 6am, which for this place is a LOT, one of them being an a320 - anyway I guess someone decided to use the premier line for group ticketing for some baseball group to get tickets. Everyone was so snagged up it was terrible. So I'm standing in the middle of this group ticketing line and the baseball dudes around me told me "you have to go in the other line, this is group ticketing." I argued once that it's Premier, but they wouldn't let it go so instead of going into the economy line I walked up in front straight to the counter and asked where the line for 1K was and I was immediately helped. It was worth seeing their reaction of the guys who wouldn't let up on "I can't stand in their line".
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:06 am

And then there's the way Alaska handles it. At PDX somehow self-tag baggage wasn't working. There was a big line for elites, because they were telling literally everybody to use it. So basically having elite status had no value (unless you are actually going to walk around everybody else in the same line).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
I still do not get why AS doesn't do priority bag tags. Interestingly when I had UA check my bags to AS with the priority tag, they always came out first in the AS baggage claim much to chagrin of their elites

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.