Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it rude to use premier benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Is it rude to use premier benefits?

i was flying out of HPN today and they only had 1 agent working the desk. I was checking a bag due to how small the plane is and no checked bag fitting.

therr was a giant line behind the one agent as they were helping an unaccompanied minor. I lined up in the signed premier line. Once the agent was done with them there was a long line in the Standard line and 2 people in premier. She let me go first and everyone was pissed in the other line.

is it wrong to use this advertised benefit in a small airport?

i took less than 3min to check my bags and was on my way.

Thiughts?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
No, it is not wrong or rude to use an advertised benefit. What would be rude is if you used it and then stuck your tongue out at everyone waiting in the other line while yelling DYKWIA!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:10 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

You did what you were entitled to do. As a GS, I do the very same thing at small outstations.
I wouldn't feel bad at all.
lensman, chrisny2, cruisr and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Not rude at all. In fact, this sounds like a situation where even lowly Silver status has real value. If United marked out the Premier line at that small airport, then they're inviting their Premier members to use it.

Using the Premier line without meeting the criteria to use it would, of course, be rude. But I'm assuming you do have the status.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
When this has happened to me at AVP, I have just shrugged my shoulders and said "I fly United a lot, so I get to use the express lane." I do feel awkward, but a little explanation does go a long way.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is not rude to use Premier benefits. There are rude people who use Premier benefits. That doesn't sound like the case here.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by jp12687
i was flying out of HPN today and they only had 1 agent working the desk. I was checking a bag due to how small the plane is and no checked bag fitting.

therr was a giant line behind the one agent as they were helping an unaccompanied minor. I lined up in the signed premier line. Once the agent was done with them there was a long line in the Standard line and 2 people in premier. She let me go first and everyone was pissed in the other line.

is it wrong to use this advertised benefit in a small airport?

i took less than 3min to check my bags and was on my way.

Thiughts?
Normal human behavior. Most of the time people, especially from undeserved areas don't understand the rules or even have no clue that loyalty programs exist. I get this alot when waiting with a group of GS to preboard; people in Group 1 and 2 would be annoyed and say something along the lines of "the line is over here". We usually just collectively stay silent, although I've seen one or two GS before respond with attitude.
But no, nothing wrong with what you did.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Size of the airport does not matter. You lined up in the correct line according to your status. The check-in agent made a sign for you to approach the desk. You did. End of story.

It happened to my wife in the small airport at our former location. But, then, the first passenger on the standard line started shouting. In the gate area 20 minutes later, he was still loud telling my wife that she was wrong to have passed ahead of him. According to him, when my wife saw that there were passengers in a line, she should have put herself at the end of that line and not in the next line. The good news is that there was a First Class in that plane and my wife had a seat in that area. Imagine if she had had the bad luck of sitting next to that passenger: would have been a miserable 50 minutes flight.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Size of the airport does not matter. You lined up in the correct line according to your status. The check-in agent made a sign for you to approach the desk. You did. End of story.

It happened to my wife in the small airport at our former location. But, then, the first passenger on the standard line started shouting. In the gate area 20 minutes later, he was still loud telling my wife that she was wrong to have passed ahead of him. According to him, when my wife saw that there were passengers in a line, she should have put herself at the end of that line and not in the next line. The good news is that there was a First Class in that plane and my wife had a seat in that area. Imagine if she had had the bad luck of sitting next to that passenger: would have been a miserable 50 minutes flight.
I'm almost surprised that the airline permitted the shouter to travel that day.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Just handle it like George Clooney did...

Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Not rude at all. In fact, this sounds like a situation where even lowly Silver status has real value. If United marked out the Premier line at that small airport, then they're inviting their Premier members to use it.
Indeed. I used to go to ABE a couple times a year as a Silver and was often one of a very few using the Premier lanes. Even more, at least one time I think I was the only Premier on a flight to ORD. That is the only time I have been the first person to board.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Nope. Don't feel bad. You deserve your benefits due to your loyalty to UA.

It does feel a bit awkward at times though, I understand how you feel. The funniest is when you're at a small airport and they call GS or Group 1 and you're the only one lol.
cranky1K likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
In contrast there are times when I am giving "the look" to the non-Premier lines.

The issue at SAN (when Dan is not working) is that it is often quicker to use the non-Premier line. A couple of times I have missed the check-in luggage time even though I have been there 15 minutes before the deadline and been told I should know better than to arrive "only 60 minutes" before the flight "since I travel so often". I try and avoid that particular agent now as she obviously has an issue with passangers with status. I am not the only one who got a telling off (the guy in front of me also got told off for just missing the deadline and argued his point that he had been waiting in line for 20 minutes before the cut-off - bizarrely she was helping someone on a Basic Economy ticket who had luggage and was arguing about the luggage fees.

So use the Premier line all you want if you are entitled to use it, and ignore the looks of the others.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Nothing wrong with using the Premier line. UA chooses to offer it to you and it is yours to accept.
2. Do not engage other people who want to engage in such debates. You don't owe them an explanation. If they wish to address the matter with UA they are free to do so. The world is full of all kinds of nuts and you have no idea what some whacko will do over less than nothing.

In the case of the other passenger berating you, bring it to an agent or a law enforcement officer's attention. This has nothing to do with who uses what lane and everything to do with your ability to move unimpeded through an airport.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Not rude at all. Just one of those times where elite status had some real value!

Avis Preferred once saved me at least a half hour (but probably more) when an understaffed off airport location was slammed labor day weekend. While me and the woman in front of us were helped, the general line didn't move once as someone with a priceline reservation was having issuesm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.