Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dad ditches kid in coach to sit in Polaris leaving me to entertain him

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold

hi Flyertalk. Just got off ord to pek and too my delight I had a maybe 8 year old boy sitting next to me the whole flight while his dad was in Polaris. I had the distinct pleasure of entertaining this kid who wouldn’t shut up for 12 hours. Should I complain about this?

Also the the ife didn’t have sound. I will be composing about that!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Unless he had a legal guardian with him, they shouldn't have separated them.

I wonder if his ticket was booked as an adult and they got thru the gate checks in a pack and no one noticed.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's not UA's fault that the father is a bad parent, so there's no point complaining to UA - better to complain to the father. I find it astonishing that people are so selfish that they would abandon their eight year old child to the mercies of strangers in order to have a larger seat and better meal. It beggars belief and these people are not fit to be parents.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:32 am

Why didn’t you say anything to a flight attendant?

That’s some terrible parenting. Did the dad check on him at all?
cruisr, Loren Pechtel and howahya like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:33 am

It’s too late now. A quiet word to a flight attendant would have at least let them know that you weren’t the kids father. It was nice of you to be kind to the kid!
wrp96, jerry305 and altabello like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:06 am
Suspended

You didn't have to entertain it. Not your kid, not your problem.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It's an interesting question of what should/would an airline allow? What if the kid was 6? 4? What should an airline do if a parent books himself in business class and a kid, or multiple kids, in coach?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Just a guess, but wouldn't the PNR have split if they were on the waitlist for Polaris. So wouldn't splitting the reservations (and hence separating a minor in the cabin) be a side-product of waitlisting for upgrades?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:16 am

That sucks. I heard people leave their wife or girlfriend in economy to the luxury for business or first, including a ex-friend trying to tell his new [moderator edit] first time flyer girlfriend that all seat here full, i have to sit up front, but don't come see me because different staff and angry about cross curtain like immigration, but an 8yr old kid make my selfish mate pale in comparison. I would of walked him to his father, you'll likely get past the curtain and enough time to embarrass the [moderator edit], or at least explain the situation to cabin crew en route to the other class. Then again, noise canceling headphones, and no arm rest issues I probably wouldn't of minded, presuming no serious issues with the child (crying then I'd press the call button - not out selfish reasons but because it's not my kid - im not a doctor or child care trained and so many things can be taken the wrong way nowadays due to peados) or if the kid simply got bored or was nagging me I'd tell to go find his Dad and point in the correct direction.
FlyingNone likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 13, 2018 at 8:25 am Reason: FT Rules 12 and 16.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:29 am

Like others have said, it's too late now. The time to raise the issue about the kid was inflight with the cabin crew. Or with the dad himself, if he did show up sometime during the flight to check up on his kid. If he didn't even show up once during a 12 hour flight, this just doesn't bode well for the kid.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:39 am

Don't understand how the FAs would have allowed this. Or how the kid sat for 12 hours without once wanting to go see daddy.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I would have told the kid if he doesn't go to sleep the plane might crash. I use to tell my baby cousin the monster would eat her if she didn't go to sleep and she'd fall asleep super fast.
nnn, choch345, MatthewLAX and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is where there is a value to dealing with issues on the spot. While one might disapprove of the arrangement, there is nothing "illegal" in paying the UM fee for one's child and then sitting in another class of service. Because OP did not raise the issue to a FA, neither he nor anybody besides UA knows.

If the child was traveling as a UM, it would have been appropriate to raise the issue to a FA, noting that the child needed some attention.

If the child was not traveling as a UM, bringing the matter to the crew's attention would likely have resulted in the father being required to sit in Y. For this reason, it is worth reporting the incident to UA and to DOT. Whining about passenger convenience will not get anywhere with UA and is of no concern to DOT. However, it does warrant investigation to determine whether UA violated its own safety & security policy by not confirming who the responsible adult was and then assuring that the adult boarded into the same cabin as the child.

The broader issue here is that there is never a need to suffer in silence. This goes not only for onboard aircraft, but with hotels and other aspects of life.
SPN Lifer, muji, jerry305 and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
You were under no obligation to entertain the child. And if the child was unruly, you were well within your rights to notify the crew, particularly when your IFE was non-functional and couldn't distract you.
anniegray likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just to clarify the dad was sending stuff back to the kid from polarisis; and the kid even told the flight attendants that his daddy was up in Polaris class.

They knew it wasn’t my kid.

This is was also one of the worst crews I’ve ever seen from United. Just for example they rammed a guy with their cart and yelled “ you need to keep out of the aisle” and the guy was like “ are you even going to apologize?”
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.