Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dad ditches kid in coach to sit in Polaris leaving me to entertain him

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dad ditches kid in coach to sit in Polaris leaving me to entertain him

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Raymoland
There is another possibility here that you guys are missing. These might have been NRSAs and these were the last available seats (best case scenario for Dad) or lots of seats were available but the kid wasn't old enough to sit in business per UAs Nonrev policies so Dad abandoned him to coach or possibly they wouldn't have been sitting together anyway even in coach so Dad figures he might aswell take a good seat (as NRSAs, we are generally not allowed to ask people to change seats to sit together - at least unless it's a like for like swap).

Of course, a five star dad would have offered his Polaris seat to the OP and sat with his son....
THIS! Horrendous parenting at work otherwise
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Per United's Contract of Carriage, you do not have to travel in the same cabin as the children unless the kids are under 5. So the Mother was perfectly fine to sit up front..
Not according to another section of the CoC

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A number have asked what UA's (written) policy is, per UA's CoC
Unaccompanied Minor means a Child/Minor 5 to 14 years of age when traveling alone or not accompanied on the same flight and in the same compartment by a companion Passenger at least 18 years of age or with a Legal Guardian or parent.
The section you referred to means a child under 5 must have their parent / guardian on the same plane and cabin to travel. No UCM concept for under 5.

The other sections allow 5-14 to travel as UCM and they are UCM when a parent /guardian is not in the same cabin.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr

Would you drop off your 5-14 year old at the movies and then hope no one calls the police for child neglect? The parent could be at the hair dresser next door and give little Tommy money to go and enjoy himself until it becomes noticed that Tommy' s Mommy or Daddy are not in the theater.

The same goes for the airplane Polaris is just like being at the hair dresser on land and Tommy at the theater. Either have a 18 year old Baby sitter, Mother or other relative or friend to accompany your son/daughter or pay the UM fee, all fly in Y or Polaris or don't fly at all. Yea so the Father had the means to travel in Polaris(whether by upgrade or mile or cash) but did not even think to pay the UM fee or ask the Gate Agent or Ticket Counter Agent to fix it so they can sit together.

This Father is a frequent traveler or so we think so he should be versed on how to travel with a young son!

I have very little sympathies for the Father yes it may be a cultural difference in Europe kids are independent at a younger age and take the subway but an airplane is different and the rules are different.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:19 pm

It wasn't your child...why exactly did you have to put up with it?
danielonn and ESPECIALROB like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:27 pm

All you had to do was ignore the child(which is not rude). Remember children are seen but not heard!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Collierkr

not sure what constitutes bad parenting here
if you travel enough for example in japan or europe you probably see kids probably as young as 6-8 yo routinely commuting alone
i would have no issues leaving my 8 yo in coach alone - they know how to operate IFE/ipad eat and use lav...
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
As a J traveler, I wonder if Dad hoped to bring the kid up after takeoff and was rebuffed by the staff in the Polaris cabin (rightfully so). So his workaround was to "send things back".
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
All you had to do was ignore the child(which is not rude). Remember children are seen but not heard!
Good luck trying to do this. This kid had a never ending supply of pep, and no shame in endlessly blabbing to me. This kid could have a conversation with a brick wall... for 9 hours. The point being is I did ignore which did no good. I am hoping he uses some of the dirty words I normally use, and was constantly saying under my breath. He also fell asleep upon landing, and did not wake him up so daddy had to go back to harvest him. I was hoping to find him alone in the bathroom or something and rough him up a little bit but no opportunity.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not according to another section of the CoC

The section you referred to means a child under 5 must have their parent / guardian on the same plane and cabin to travel. No UCM concept for under 5.

The other sections allow 5-14 to travel as UCM and they are UCM when a parent /guardian is not in the same cabin.
If the child is over 5 - ok, they are an unaccompanied minor. I don't see, or I'm missing it, that is disallows the parent to sit in business class and the kid in economy. Don't they just have to pay the unaccompanied minor fee in that case?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by azepine00
if you travel enough for example in japan or europe you probably see kids probably as young as 6-8 yo routinely commuting alone
i would have no issues leaving my 8 yo in coach alone - they know how to operate IFE/ipad eat and use lav...
+1. In Japan in particular, but also in Hong Kong and parts of Europe with good public transportation kids go about their own business. Get on a train/subway in Japan and there will be 8-9-10 year olds off by themselves. We will let our kids (now 11 and 14) go off on their own in Hong Kong or Japan, they know their way around. And in San Francisco we know lots of kids who take the bus/light rail around, starting at about 11-12 y/o.

Not defending the parent here - it was too long of a flight to leave a kid by themselves - but kids don't need constant supervision if they are taught how to be independent.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If the child is over 5 - ok, they are an unaccompanied minor. I don't see, or I'm missing it, that is disallows the parent to sit in business class and the kid in economy. Don't they just have to pay the unaccompanied minor fee in that case?
If they sit in a different cabin than their underage child, by policy they need register / pay for the child as an UCM. How responsible the child is, does not matter. How this handles in a last minute upgrade of just one, if that is the case here, don't know

Will the UA/GA/FAs enforce this is a different matter, is this something people do, appears so but it is a clear CoC statement.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
That would be the perfect time to increase the kid's vocabulary. If only you could then see his father's expression when he starts spouting those words...

(I see venomtrilogy had the same idea.)
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by danielonn
Would you drop off your 5-14 year old at the movies and then hope no one calls the police for child neglect? The parent could be at the hair dresser next door and give little Tommy money to go and enjoy himself until it becomes noticed that Tommy' s Mommy or Daddy are not in the theater.

The same goes for the airplane Polaris is just like being at the hair dresser on land and Tommy at the theater. Either have a 18 year old Baby sitter, Mother or other relative or friend to accompany your son/daughter or pay the UM fee, all fly in Y or Polaris or don't fly at all. Yea so the Father had the means to travel in Polaris(whether by upgrade or mile or cash) but did not even think to pay the UM fee or ask the Gate Agent or Ticket Counter Agent to fix it so they can sit together.

This Father is a frequent traveler or so we think so he should be versed on how to travel with a young son!

I have very little sympathies for the Father yes it may be a cultural difference in Europe kids are independent at a younger age and take the subway but an airplane is different and the rules are different.
no I wouldn’t drop my 8 year old and I wouldn’t let him fly separately from me. Not safe and a burden 9n the 9ther passengers.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
that is great that your child knows how to eat and work the IFE. Would he know what to do in an emergency?
But this isn’t about your child and I’ll just close by saying that an 8 yr old alone in coach when the parent is in biz is just plain rude.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
This would be the parent that would (or maybe not?) be desperately moving back to the child if there was any inflight emergency - causing further havoc and danger to other passengers and crew.
muji likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.