Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dad ditches kid in coach to sit in Polaris leaving me to entertain him

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dad ditches kid in coach to sit in Polaris leaving me to entertain him

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond
It’s one thing if it’s a couple hour flight during the day, but 12 hours, including overnight. No way.
muji likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
"So Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"
LOL
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:32 am

My wife and I travel with two children ages 3 and 5. Twice we have been the victims of an equipment swap where we have been booted from E+ and dispersed throughout the airplane (four seats none of which are next to each other in E-).

Flight attendants did nothing to help get the seats back together. They felt they had no responsibility. I had to rely on the kindness of strangers switching seats to get us next to the kids.

Is there an official policy on this which UA requires my child sit next to me? Would be helpful to me if the computer disperses my kids again in an unusual situation.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
"So Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

This is how it's done right here. ^

Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:59 am

There is another possibility here that you guys are missing. These might have been NRSAs and these were the last available seats (best case scenario for Dad) or lots of seats were available but the kid wasn't old enough to sit in business per UAs Nonrev policies so Dad abandoned him to coach or possibly they wouldn't have been sitting together anyway even in coach so Dad figures he might aswell take a good seat (as NRSAs, we are generally not allowed to ask people to change seats to sit together - at least unless it's a like for like swap). Now in the past I have foregone a business seat to sit with my kids in coach and in fact once, travelling with my three young kids I had to put my two oldest in business and sit in economy with my youngest who wasn't old enough for business since there were not enough seats in economy for all of us.

Young kids should not be seated in separate cabins generally (DL at least has a policy on this) but they tend to bend the rules for NRSAs especially since most everyone knows how hard it is to fly standby these days.

Of course, a five star dad would have offered his Polaris seat to the OP and sat with his son....
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
This reminds me of a seatmate I had back in Barcalounger business days. I was in the aisle and a boy of about the same age as this one came up with his dad to take the window seat. Dad introduced us and explained that he and a younger brother were back in coach. I had a nice little conversation with the kid and explained that whenever he needed to get out of his seat he should just ask. The kid was great, watching some video and otherwise occupying himself. About halfway through the flight I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. Before I could turn to see, he darted under my raised footrest into the aisle. I don't know how he did that.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I'm confused.

How is this worthy of a complaint??
Of course you can complain. This is FT after all.

OP, get back here and tell everyone else how many miles you get for the try.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by elbejt2
My wife and I travel with two children ages 3 and 5. Twice we have been the victims of an equipment swap where we have been booted from E+ and dispersed throughout the airplane (four seats none of which are next to each other in E-).

Flight attendants did nothing to help get the seats back together. They felt they had no responsibility. I had to rely on the kindness of strangers switching seats to get us next to the kids.

Is there an official policy on this which UA requires my child sit next to me? Would be helpful to me if the computer disperses my kids again in an unusual situation.
No. There has been talk of such a rule every time someone in Congress decides to give some token lip service to a passenger bill of rights, but nothing particularly binding. There's always an "operational feasibility" out-clause, which basically means "if the FAs can't be assed to help, they don't have to."

It's possible there's better protection on a United flight departing from Europe, but I don't really know for sure.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
What is the big deal here?

If I had a choice between Polaris for 12 hours and kid in economy - or, both us in economy.....

Of course I'd be in Polaris. That seems obvious.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Watergate
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What is the big deal here?

If I had a choice between Polaris for 12 hours and kid in economy - or, both us in economy.....

Of course I'd be in Polaris. That seems obvious.
The bad parenting is coming from inside the thread!
ijgordon, LadyShiva and muji like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A lot of bad information in this thread:
1. There is no requirement that the child and responsible adult be seated together.
2. There is a requirement that a child who is not seated in the same cabin as the responsible adult must travel as a UM.

The rest of this is all after-the-fact justification. The kid either was or was not a UM.

If the crew were aware of it, he was likely a UM..
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Raymoland
Of course, a five star dad would have offered his Polaris seat to the OP and sat with his son....
This we can all agree on.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:49 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
You didn't have to entertain it. Not your kid, not your problem.
(Emphasis added)

^
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by steveo
hi Flyertalk. Just got off ord to pek and too my delight I had a maybe 8 year old boy sitting next to me the whole flight while his dad was in Polaris. I had the distinct pleasure of entertaining this kid who wouldn’t shut up for 12 hours. Should I complain about this?

Also the the ife didn’t have sound. I will be composing about that!
Since you would have been on a 772 that still have decent 3-3-3 seating in Y I can understand your angst. But I think you would have been better off with the 8 year old kid as a seat mate vs his douche of a dad. And as these planes going to 3-4-3 in Y, the only way that you will be able to get any sleep would be if you have an 8 year old kid next to you.... If you were on SFO-PEK with the cruddy 3-4-3 77W you would be thanking jesus for being next to an 8 year old kid....
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A number have asked what UA's (written) policy is, per UA's CoC
Unaccompanied Minor means a Child/Minor 5 to 14 years of age when traveling alone or not accompanied on the same flight and in the same compartment by a companion Passenger at least 18 years of age or with a Legal Guardian or parent.
Other references
UA's website - Children traveling alone

UA unaccompanied minor (UCM) policy - nonstop only, age (now 14 & lower), same cabin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.