Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dad ditches kid in coach to sit in Polaris leaving me to entertain him

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dad ditches kid in coach to sit in Polaris leaving me to entertain him

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
"So Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Sorry to the OP this happened but I actually find it funny that a parent would leave their kid behind, I mean come on, how bad of a parent can you actually be?

I've left my wife behind while sitting in the jumpseat for landing at a new airport (outside the US before anyone says something, and I'm a pilot as well) and even then I feel bad.
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I'm confused.
if you didn't want to entertain the kid, put on headphones and ignore the kid.

If the kid was disruptive, flag down an FA.

How is this worthy of a complaint??
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by steveo
Just to clarify the dad was sending stuff back to the kid from polarisis; and the kid even told the flight attendants that his daddy was up in Polaris class.
How was he sending stuff back ? with the FA ? or was he bringing it back himself ? And if he was sending it with FA, did he physically visit the kid during the 12 hour flight ?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:54 am

OP, you were very kind to a child who obviously could use a good role model. It was tough on you for such a long flight but you did a good thing.

You have some suggestions now on how to handle this in the unlikely event that it repeats. It is ok to create develop boundaries for how much of your time to give.
Miggles and smc333 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:56 am

How is this different or worse than a UAM? You're definitely in no obligation to respond or talk to them.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I dunno I sat next to small kid maybe 8 or so on LAX-MEX in F earlier this year (flying AS). His mom was somewhere back in Y. Think they were NRSA. Kid was fine, nbd.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:24 am

Offer the kid some cigarettes next time
mherdeg and Gino Troian like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
From what I was told by UA CSR that no minor should be seated alone. However I have proven this wrong: the CSR was able to put my 9 year old sitting on his own. She said the gate agent will override and will get us to be seated together.

I initially got 4 E+ seats with 2 UA S, then after 2 hours UA bumped us back to E-. My 4 seats was given to some other people, I called UA and got 2 good seats at E+ so I was ready to trade. We got no help from any FA and no one basically cared.

The kid of me kept flipping the bulkhead armrest during the flight and the mum next to him didn't bother. They were 3 people and I got a seat next to them as as soon as they saw me moved they immediately captured the seat to prevent me from moving back. That mum also changed her baby diaper inside the bassinet and she was doing big and small. The dad lifted the heavily soiled diaper up to try to find somewhere to dispose it and guest what - they didn't use the bathroom since (didn't even see the mum cleaning her hand using wet wipe). I smelled the brown stuff and extremely stale urine and it was just before the landing snack. FA went past saw the whole thing and I saw his month saying OMG so I didn't even bother complaining to them.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Is there a minimum age where some guardian has to sit next to a child?
Should have complain to the FAs and had them switch you with the father.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Just to clarify the dad was sending stuff back to the kid from polarisis; and the kid even told the flight attendants that his daddy was up in Polaris class.

They knew it wasn’t my kid.

This is was also one of the worst crews I’ve ever seen from United. Just for example they rammed a guy with their cart and yelled “ you need to keep out of the aisle” and the guy was like “ are you even going to apologize?”
And if that kid screamed that you touched him during the flight, you would have been hauled off in cuffs. Whether it happened or not. I would not have sat next to an unaccompanied minor with a parent somewhere else on the plane. It’s not fair to you and it puts you in an unacceptable situation. It’s unfortunate but that is the world we live in.

I would have asked to move or make sure the lights were on the entire time, or something. I would have been uncomfortable the entire flight. Sorry you experienced this, but I’m not sure I would have kept quiet about it.
muji likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Michael D
Is there a minimum age where some guardian has to sit next to a child?
Should have complain to the FAs and had them switch you with the father.
Some airlines require that if a child is young enough to qualify for unaccompanied minor service, then the parent has to be seated in the same cabin as the child OR pay the unaccompanied minor fee, but I don't know if UA has such a rule.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Just a guess, but wouldn't the PNR have split if they were on the waitlist for Polaris. So wouldn't splitting the reservations (and hence separating a minor in the cabin) be a side-product of waitlisting for upgrades?
The PNR isn’t supposed to auto split if it creates an unaccompanied minor ... I’ve had this when traveling with my wife and son - if my son and I are on one reservation, and my wife is on a separate one, any attempt at a PNR split throws an error. I had a counter agent manually override it at checkin for me when she was able to verify that yes, my wife was with us too, so my son (9yo at the time) wouldn’t be alone in the cabin.

Of course, because I’m not nearly as dumb as I look, I then gave my wife the upgraded seat ....

FlyingPenguin and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
This is was also one of the worst crews I’ve ever seen from United. Just for example they rammed a guy with their cart and yelled “ you need to keep out of the aisle” and the guy was like “ are you even going to apologize?”
FAs IMO (especially it seems to me TPACs) view customer body parts in the aisle with more disdain then bikers in Amsterdam respect pedestrians in bike lanes.

wrp96 and chipmaster like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Redwood839
Sorry to the OP this happened but I actually find it funny that a parent would leave their kid behind, I mean come on, how bad of a parent can you actually be?
Parents can be bad enough that Delta has an explicit rule that child and parent must be seated in the same cabin. Kid under 15 in coach, and parent in Business? Pay the unaccompanied minor fee.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.