Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dad ditches kid in coach to sit in Polaris leaving me to entertain him

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dad ditches kid in coach to sit in Polaris leaving me to entertain him

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:23 am

If this had happened to me, that child would leave the flight with many interesting additions to their budding vocabulary.

The closest I've come to this was a parent in F who spent the majority of a PHL-ORD flight standing in the Y aisle talking to his son in the middle seat rather than simply switching with one of the adults in the row.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:50 am

I had an issue on a flight and informed the Flight attendant right away who rectified it. In this case I would be more worried that if there was an air crash or some other incident the Father would not be there to help his child.

Also I feel its quite selfish for the Father to impose his child on you. Either the two fly in Polaris or the Father sits next to the child in Y. To separate the child and Father unless the Uaccompianed fee was paid is not legal I believe for safety reasons. The flight attendant is not responsible for the child unless they are a UM,

I would have brought it up at the first instance the child was bothering me and would ask for the child to be moved with his Father. The pursuer has the manifest and can put the two together.

You should be compensated and see if United can find the Father's PNR and send the Father a letter about the behavior of his son constantly talking to another passenger and that in the future they should be seated together.

Something tells me this Father expects strangers in other situations to look after him without compensation or at least a conversation about how to behave with other passengers and to have distractions to pass the time.

I have flown a lot as a kid and was sometimes seated away from my Parents but I would not constantly bother fellow passengers. If they were interested in a conversation I would talk but keep it minimal but otherwise would share pleasantries and then listen to my music or watch the movie.

Sorry this happened to the OP!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Michael D
Is there a minimum age where some guardian has to sit next to a child?
Should have complain to the FAs and had them switch you with the father.
Excellent point especially with today's Sexual Harassment and molesting a child there could be a sex offender sitting next to a child as a predator. I mean UA would sit UM's together in a row as they have it blocked to avoid this.

What if the child told his daddy "A passenger in row X Harassed me and you were falsely accused of such an act". There are other issues that can arise being separated. A child needing help to eat his meal or extra attention that the Flight Attendant has no time to deal with as the child is not a UM.

Furthermore is the OP responsible to help the child in case of a cabin depressurization. What if the passenger did not help the child with his oxygen mask or put on his lifevest in an emergency could the Father sue the passenger for not helping his child? I for one am not ready to help a brat in an emergency sorry.

I would never sit separated from my child if I had one even if it means that I pay to both fly in Polaris and you can be damn sure that I would have a conversation with my child about how to act when traveling and how its a privilege and not a right to fly and not every kid gets to fly in Polaris or visit the lounge.

As soon as my child acts up its a warning and then a discrete word with the pursuer to talk with my Child about his behavior and how he could be asked to go back to coach as other passengers are trying to sleep.

Its called proactive parenting!
Statman and muji like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by danielonn

Also I feel its quite selfish for the Father to impose his child on you.

You should be compensated and see if United can find the Father's PNR and send the Father a letter about the behavior of his son constantly talking to another passenger and that in the future they should be seated together.

Something tells me this Father expects strangers in other situations to look after him without compensation or at least a conversation about how to behave with other passengers and to have distractions to pass the time.

Sorry this happened to the OP!
Sefish, yes. Ok. I can see that.

Compensated by UA? Forreal? But isn’t it the fathers fault? So UA is now responsible for the actions of all its passengers. Oh great. So God forbid I ever get drunk on a plane (not happening since I don’t drink on airplanes) and I hit someone, I’ll just tell them that UA is responsible for my actions, so they should expect compensation From UA. Yes it’s a very drastic example, but stating that UA owes the father compensation is just as drastic imo.

a letter is a a lot of work. And a lot of billeable hours. Too much effort for United to do. I wouldn’t expect it even if the OP asked for it and said he’d take a copy of the letter instead of compensation.

I see see your point in that the father might expect strangers to look after his child, but I’d caution against making such a judgment. I’m pretty sure most parents don’t expect others to look after their children, whether in public transit, trains, subways, MUNI, etc. i don’t think I’ve quite met a parent who does expect Others to look after their child, which is why I’m stating this. Plus this is only one side of the story. What if it wasn’t even his child and instead his nephew or something?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

imho you should be thankful you have 8 yo kid rather than some 300lb dude seated next to you for 12 h

what exactly did you have to do to "entertain" that kid?

ime 8 yo alone is gonna be very shy and get completely consumed by ipad or ife watching... did his ife have sound?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
Excellent point especially with today's Sexual Harassment and molesting a child there could be a sex offender sitting next to a child as a predator. I mean UA would sit UM's together in a row as they have it blocked to avoid this.
If it meant not sitting next to an unaccompanied 8-year old for a TPAC, I would probably tell an FA or the parent that I was a sex offender just to get out of that situation.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:53 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A number have asked what UA's (written) policy is, per UA's CoC

Other references
UA's website - Children traveling alone

UA unaccompanied minor (UCM) policy - nonstop only, age (now 14 & lower), same cabin
What does “compartment” mean, is that cabin or would it also cover the Flight deck. On my Xmas EWR-LHR the Pilot / FO was up front (flying the plane), and based on the stanyby list / visits by both and very attentive service by FA’s it seemed like his SO was in the GF cabin and 2 children were seated together in business. Made sense they would come along as the Pilot/FO would have had to stay in London over xmas.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
I would never leave my kid on his own, particularly from another cabin. That said, this thread is amusing because everyone is talking about how bad the Dad is not sitting with his kid, and yet there are multiple threads on here about families trying to sit together that always have dozens of posts of "why would I move so a family could sit together....kids are fine by themselves for a while...." Flyertalk in all its uniqueness.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by steveo
hi Flyertalk. Just got off ord to pek and too my delight I had a maybe 8 year old boy sitting next to me the whole flight while his dad was in Polaris. I had the distinct pleasure of entertaining this kid who wouldn’t shut up for 12 hours. Should I complain about this?

Also the the ife didn’t have sound. I will be composing about that!
It seems like the 8-year old boy and his dad both got lucky that you were there when needed.

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I would have told the kid if he doesn't go to sleep the plane might crash. I use to tell my baby cousin the monster would eat her if she didn't go to sleep and she'd fall asleep super fast.
ROTFLOL

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 13, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by JC1120
How is this different or worse than a UAM? You're definitely in no obligation to respond or talk to them.
Yeah I am not sure what the problem is here. "Hey buddy, I'm gonna take a nap for a bit."
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by princeville
Why didn’t you say anything to a flight attendant?
In today's world, the flight attendant might see that as "disturbing behavior" and throw you off the plane.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:20 pm

Or like Kevin on the plane in Home Alone 2. *My Family is in Florida and I am in New.York" LOL.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
UA869 (Wednesday): mother says to her two young children (I think 8 and 10) behave and I will see you in Hong Kong and sits in her Polaris seat. Stands up and addresses me with words to the effect she is looking forward to the break from her kids. I looked at her and said something to the effect I believe kids are supposed to be in the same cabin as the parents. She told me I obviously do not have children to which I responded my son is always in the same cabin as me, perhaps a row behind. Even at 20 on the few flights together these days I enjoy spending time with my child.

He was always well behaved and knew how to behave, and loved UM as he got through security and immigration and customs quicker.

Feel sorry for these kids whose parents do not want to spend time with them now. Reminds me of the Harry Chapin song.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elbejt2
My wife and I travel with two children ages 3 and 5. Twice we have been the victims of an equipment swap where we have been booted from E+ and dispersed throughout the airplane (four seats none of which are next to each other in E-).

Flight attendants did nothing to help get the seats back together. They felt they had no responsibility. I had to rely on the kindness of strangers switching seats to get us next to the kids.

Is there an official policy on this which UA requires my child sit next to me? Would be helpful to me if the computer disperses my kids again in an unusual situation.
A 3 year old can't travel alone--for practical purposes you have been denied boarding. I'd be asking for IDB compensation in a situation like that.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
UA869 (Wednesday): mother says to her two young children (I think 8 and 10) behave and I will see you in Hong Kong and sits in her Polaris seat. Stands up and addresses me with words to the effect she is looking forward to the break from her kids. I looked at her and said something to the effect I believe kids are supposed to be in the same cabin as the parents. She told me I obviously do not have children to which I responded my son is always in the same cabin as me, perhaps a row behind. Even at 20 on the few flights together these days I enjoy spending time with my child.
Per United's Contract of Carriage, you do not have to travel in the same cabin as the children unless the kids are under 5. So the Mother was perfectly fine to sit up front.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ml#tcm:76-6615

Rule 13 Acceptance of Children/Minors and Infants

1. Children/Minors/Infants Traveling Accompanied
    1. Children under the age of five (5) must be “accompanied” by an Adult Passenger or the child’s Parent/Legal Guardian on the same flight and in the same compartment. UA reserves the right to require and charge the applicable service charge for Unaccompanied Minor service when a child age five (5) to fourteen (14) is traveling with a passenger who is not at least 18 years old or the child’s Parent/Legal Guardian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.