Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SS255
For those of us who obtained our current Marriott status through either a UA match or an SPG Gold match and who are also Hilton Gold (present company included), the lounge-accessibility factor is likely among the factors which we weigh in choosing whether to stay at a Marriott or a Hilton. I often go for Marriott over Hilton, due to the guaranteed lounge access. If my status is downgraded in the new program to where I no longer receive lounge access or breakfast, Hilton will win.
Interesting perspective. Having both Mariott and Hilton Gold, the deciding factor for me is location/price/property. Lounge access/breakfast isn't even on the list.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TomMM
Interesting perspective. Having both Mariott and Hilton Gold, the deciding factor for me is location/price/property. Lounge access/breakfast isn't even on the list.
+1

I can almost always buy food and drink better than what would be served in a lounge. I often pay more for a SPG/Marriott with the platinum benefit of guaranteed 4pm late checkout, if my departure plans are later in the day. That’s my biggest gripe with HH diamond. Otherwise price/property over everything else.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
then a status downguage would have less impact to you.

I am debating accelerating to UA Gold via MiePlay. An added incentive would be matching to the old Marriott Gold prior to Aug 1 so that I get bumped to new Plat for rest of year. Decisions decisions.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:14 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I am debating accelerating to UA Gold via MiePlay. An added incentive would be matching to the old Marriott Gold prior to Aug 1 so that I get bumped to new Plat for rest of year. Decisions decisions.
It's not clear that the UA-matched Marriott Gold would get bumped to Marriott Plat come Aug 1. The e-mails I've gotten from Marriott are somewhat conflicting on that point, but the fine print does claim that the conversion is based on "earned" status, not "linked" or "matched" status... which to me implies they intend to leave RewardsPlus-based status at the current level (e.g. devaluing them come 8/1). So don't get your hopes up...
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by exerda
It's not clear that the UA-matched Marriott Gold would get bumped to Marriott Plat come Aug 1.
I expect matched Marriott Gold to be Marriott Gold come August 1.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:27 am

No more lounge access at full service Marriotts?! Darn, looks like I'll be checking out early to hit up the UC and other *A lounges
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by cova
I agree - "about time". The lounges have gotten way too crowded. Too many people are eligible. Some hotels seem like 1/2 the guests are eligible. Marriott has created M Lounges at some properties on the 1st or 2nd floor to handle the crowd, but I am not a big fan of the M Lounge.

Marriott gave too much to United. UA only gave Silver MR - which does not get Lounge access. Seemed like Marriott was getting the short end of the stick by giving the old MR Gold with lounge access. The new MR Gold (without lounge) is more matched to UA Silver.
I agree that the trade wasn't fair... and that the lounges can be too crowded. But having lounge access, which I first got as a UA Plat --> MR Gold, is a major factor in my hotel choices when I'm traveling for conferences, etc. If, as a 1K, I don't have that access anymore, my incentive for staying at a Marriott, etc. hotel over similar hotels drops significantly.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I expect matched Marriott Gold to be Marriott Gold come August 1.
It would have been nice if they held off till the end of the year, or honored status for pre-booked reservations. I will probably change a few hotels over to Hilton. It also seems that Marriott is devaluing the Starwood points. Double whammy.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by BF263533
It would have been nice if they held off till the end of the year, or honored status for pre-booked reservations. I will probably change a few hotels over to Hilton. It also seems that Marriott is devaluing the Starwood points. Double whammy.
they are also trashing the travel package exchange rates which RewardsPlus had a slight leg up

exerda I will read more carefully. If matched gold doesn’t move to Plat then it is pretty worthless. I have earned silver which is nearly the same as new gold.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:29 am

From the website

https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/

It saysSo i take this to mean status matched MARRIOTT levels are okay (meaning my MR Gold through Rewards Plus UA status matching will become Platinum on Aug 1).
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: None - previously UA
So i take this to mean status matched MARRIOTT levels are okay (meaning my MR Gold through Rewards Plus UA status matching will become Platinum on Aug 1).
But If you look at the Starwood chart it confirms the drop in status: the matched Gold Marriott status for Starwood Gold will become Marriott Gold August 1.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
SPG gold was not worth it IMO. Experienced once when they first merged and never chose another SPG property again. Will likely be the same if 1K matches to the new gold.

It is about location, lounge access and price, but was willing to go a little higher on price knowing I had lounge access. Do not care about free breakfast.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
But If you look at the Starwood chart it confirms the drop in status: the matched Gold Marriott status for Starwood Gold will become Marriott Gold August 1.
Yes folks given SPG Gold by virtue of having MR Gold will be comped to the new Gold

that has nothing to do with folks matched to MR Gold from another program.

This is actually consistent - anyone with a MR Gold acquired via any means becomes Plat. This is Marriott’s show now so they can favor their own elites.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

Yes folks given SPG Gold by virtue of having MR Gold will be comped to the new Gold

that has nothing to do with folks matched to MR Gold from another program.

This is actually consistent - anyone with a MR Gold acquired via any means becomes Plat. This is Marriott’s show now so they can favor their own elites.
I do not believe they are favoring their own elites. It's merely just facts/consistency.

Statuses before August:
SPG Gold - No lounge access
MR Gold - Lounge Access

Statuses after August:
SPG Gold -> SPG Gold: No lounge access (consistent with before August)
MR Gold -> MR Platinum: Lounge access (consistent with before August).

They are merely trying to remain consistent and ensure that if you had lounge access due to being Marriott gold prior to August, that you still have this access post August while the program 'transitions'. At some point they had to draw the line and I suspect that's why they said if you earned the status, you'll get it, but if you simply matched into it due to the MR/Starwood reciprocity, then you won't continue to get it since you never really had it in the first place and only got it due to the program match.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I do not believe they are favoring their own elites. It's merely just facts/consistency.

Statuses before August:
SPG Gold - No lounge access
MR Gold - Lounge Access

Statuses after August:
SPG Gold -> SPG Gold: No lounge access (consistent with before August)
MR Gold -> MR Platinum: Lounge access (consistent with before August).

Good but you left out the most important part.

Statuses after January 2019:
SPG Gold -> New MR Gold: No lounge access
MR Gold through UA status match -> New MR Gold: No Lounge access (massive downgrade).
MR Gold through 50 EQN -> New MR Plat: Breakfast (and supposedly lounge access)

It would be stupid to suddenly downgrade UA elites in August but come January don't expect much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.