Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
I posted this in the GS forum, but it seems to be more appropriate here.

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
Has this happened to anyone else? Just got an email from Marriott telling me I now have Silver status! When the program linkage began I started at Platinum, then quietly slipped to Gold last year, now this. Ah well. When I was Platinum, I got breakfast AND a special gift at check-in (in one case, an ice cream bar). No more special gift for me!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by garkster
And, some M lounges, like the one at IAH, are small. I will admit that, as both a lifetime Marriott Platinum and a 1K, I have little use for the so-called matching, and as mentioned, the Marriott lounges can be ridiculously overcrowded because of the Starwood elites who have been matched.

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to use Marriott lounges, stay at Marriott/Starwood, buy the credit card, etc. After all, how would we UA elites feel about Marriott elites who don't generally fly UA getting group 1 just because of a deal between UA and Marriott?
As someone who stands to lose access, I actually agree with you. It seems like too good a deal for UA flyers.

On the other hand, I don't think overcrowding is going away as I am able to buy lounge access at many of my favorite Asian properties for ~$20- extra per night. I recently asked an executive lounge manager in Bangkok about how many were Marriott elites and how many were paying and she told me that around 70% of the guests in the lounge were on "package" rates that included lounge access.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
As someone who stands to lose access, I actually agree with you. It seems like too good a deal for UA flyers.

On the other hand, I don't think overcrowding is going away as I am able to buy lounge access at many of my favorite Asian properties for ~$20- extra per night. I recently asked an executive lounge manager in Bangkok about how many were Marriott elites and how many were paying and she told me that around 70% of the guests in the lounge were on "package" rates that included lounge access.
That seems unusually high imo. You will not find 70% of the guests of a major hotel in BKK milling through during breakfast and/or happy hours. I've sat through many 'full' breakfast hours (From start to finish) and not observed this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
They've widened the benefits gap between gold and plat and I don't think the latter is something they are going to hand out generously.
The benefit gap is due to the combination of the programs.

SPG Gold requires 25 nights, but Marriott Gold requires 50 nights instead (same for SPG Platinum). Without the new program, many of these SPG Gold would be aligned to Marriott Silver.

The reason why the speculation favors UA Gold or above getting Marriott Platinum in the new program because UA elites are comped with a more superior level. On the other hand, AMEX Platinum are comped with the a less superior level.

IMHO - if our speculation is true, Marriott is purposely creating a new level to retain (and not to upset) SPG Gold. Hence, no impact to UA elites.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by fumje
I thought Marriott Platinum was designated for GS enrolled in RewardsPlus? Although I'm not sure that was formally published.
There's gotta be some reason. I guess I will just shut up and hope my Platinum level stays intact!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:20 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
It was a simple trade-off for the past few years - Marriott gave me breakfast, I gave them loyalty.

I guess it's back to Hotels.com for me.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by gre;rn
It was a simple trade-off for the past few years - Marriott gave me breakfast, I gave them loyalty.

​​​​​​
you realize that you probably could get breakfast AND use hotels.com too? Typically third party sitrs like Expedia prevent you from earning elite credits, not using benefits you already have.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:26 am

I've been UA Global Services for several years and enjoyed Marriott Platinum and Starwood Platinum for a few years. Last week when I checked into the Mexico City Marriott I noted that my Marriott status had been downgraded to Gold. In short, everything in the travel business is fleeting and don't expect anything in the long term. Your loyalty means very little!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
That seems unusually high imo. You will not find 70% of the guests of a major hotel in BKK milling through during breakfast and/or happy hours. I've sat through many 'full' breakfast hours (From start to finish) and not observed this.
To clarify, she did not say that 70% of the hotel guests had lounge access, only that 70% of those with lounge access had paid for it (i.e. only 30 % of the crowding was due to elites).
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by virtualashok
I've been UA Global Services for several years and enjoyed Marriott Platinum and Starwood Platinum for a few years. Last week when I checked into the Mexico City Marriott I noted that my Marriott status had been downgraded to Gold. In short, everything in the travel business is fleeting and don't expect anything in the long term. Your loyalty means very little!
Did you ask why? Submit RewardsPlus matching again? Call Marriott and inform them you're still a GS?

Corporations make mistakes too, especially when their input is from another company (aka Marriott gets its information from United). It's very easy for data to get mixed up, lost, or modified when passing from one system to another. I wouldn't jump the gun and say "Your loyalty means very little".

(Welcome to Flyertalk....)

Originally Posted by zombietooth
To clarify, she did not say that 70% of the hotel guests had lounge access, only that 70% of those with lounge access had paid for it (i.e. only 30 % of the crowding was due to elites).
Oh oops sorry. My bad on the interpretation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 28, 2018 at 2:18 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond
Hilton Gold through AMEX PLAT provides Lounge access? Are you sure?

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
This will be interesting to watch. I use Marriott hotels due to the lounge access as 1K (automatic Marriott Gold), but I now have the same benefit with Hilton through Amex Platinum, so if 1K does not provide Platinum at Marriott those reservations will go to Hilton. Pity as the Renaissance at LHR and IST are same of my favourite airport hotels, but I do like the Hilton Paddington/Hilton Metropole as an alternative LHR hotel if my flight is after 10am.
My first SPG gold experience (after the merger of SPG and Marriott) was underwhelming so have avoided the SPG hotels, but if the new program upgrades the experience may reconsider.
Really hope 1K provides Platinum benefits going forward with Marriott.
Aussienarelle,
I am in same boat as you but I just checked AMEX PLAT HH GOLD benefits, no lounge access.
https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/...ld-status.html
Can you confirm Lounge access for HH GOLD?
Thanks
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gre

Apparently you haven't been giving them much of that "loyalty," because if you stay 50 nights a year at Marriott (or only 35 nights, plus the Chase Marriott card), you will get breakfast

It seems {some} here want the free benefit (breakfast) but are not willing to deliver the requisite business to Marriott. It's the "I'm entitled to something for nothing" theory.

Originally Posted by ryman554
​​​​​​Typically third party sitrs like Expedia prevent you from earning elite credits, not using benefits you already have.
Actually, Marriott is the only major hotel program that provides benefits on OTA rates. The others do not.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 6, 2018 at 3:27 pm Reason: discuss the issues, not the poster{s}
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
First off, before I get slammed, I want to be clear I’m not cheering this move one bit

that said, I’ve been a net beneficiary of both the UA-Marriott and the UA-Hertz deals, and the gravy train was so lucrative I knew the Great Gatsby party has to end and bring things closer to normality. Zero complaints here.

I dunno if I was actually “profitable” from their promo’s P&L, but since I was close to a pure kayaker* in terms of hotels and rental cars prior to these partnerships, I’ve definitely routed a lot of my personal travel dollars straight into their direct booking channels, including going from never ever stayed in Ritz Carlton before to 4 visits (and soon 5) within the last year and change.

(Rant over. Now back to battling CPU rates even more disappointing than .....

Germany &#128540
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: UA AA
No "standard" UA Status gives lounge access

Originally Posted by cova
I agree - "about time". The lounges have gotten way too crowded. Too many people are eligible. Some hotels seem like 1/2 the guests are eligible. Marriott has created M Lounges at some properties on the 1st or 2nd floor to handle the crowd, but I am not a big fan of the M Lounge.

Marriott gave too much to United. UA only gave Silver MR - which does not get Lounge access. Seemed like Marriott was getting the short end of the stick by giving the old MR Gold with lounge access. The new MR Gold (without lounge) is more matched to UA Silver.
There is no standard UA Status that I am aware of (Silver -> 1K), not sure about GS that provides access to the UA Lounges, that was always a separate $500-$600/year purchase.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:32 am

No dog in this fight as the wife is a Lifetime Marriott Rewards Platinum and we never bothered with the crossover status match.

With that said, (at least for the wife and I) airbnb is not a suitable replacement for chain hotels or even local hotels. Like another poster, our first airbnb stay was our last due too many issues that we would not have experienced at a normal hotel and the levels of bureaucracy of dealing with airbnb corporate was painful (and I am used to dealing with levels of bureaucracy).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.