Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1P
...I suspect that PC is reserved to UA GS members only.
I have PC via 1K, for a couple of years now.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1P
Hertz granted this UA Platinum 5* status, not PC. It was the same when I was 1K, and I assume that when I hit 1K again later this year nothing will change. I suspect that PC is reserved to UA GS members only.
I was quoting from memory, but I double-checked and I was correct. You can see it in the first item here. Silver and Gold get 5*, Plat and 1K (and GS, though it’s not mentioned) get President’s Circle.

Back on the thread’s topic, though: Marriott knows how many people are getting status from UA, and they know much much they’re staying, and there’s somebody there who can (but won’t ) tell you how profitable or unprofitable the promotion has been. If it’s been unprofitable, they’ll certainly change it. If not, they may well keep it the same (meaning, UA Gold -> Marriott Platinum).

Even if they do change it, it might be like the Hertz program where it’s multi-tiered; perhaps they’ll give Silver and Gold the new Marriott Gold and Plat, 1K, and GS the new Marriott Platinum. That would obviously be an upgrade for UA Silvers and a downgrade for UA Golds, but if they’re having a lounge capacity problem, that might address it.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:28 pm

I'll be sorry to see a dilution of the UA/Marriott status match program.
I stay almost always at marriott properties because of the lounge access and included breakfast.
If they go , so am I !
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Before Marriott gave me matching status, I didn't prioritize their properties. I have since they matched. If they reduce the benefit - take away my lounge access - I will revert to my pre matching habits, meaning less $$ for Marriott.
This. I have stayed at several Marriott properties since being matched via RewardsPlus that I otherwise wouldn't have.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
This. I have stayed at several Marriott properties since being matched via RewardsPlus that I otherwise wouldn't have.
Me too. In fact that inspired me to open a Marriott card to earn a bushel of points which I used to become Companion Pass on WN (travel package) and stop flying UA domestic. Thanks UA!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

I was quoting from memory, but I double-checked and I was correct. You can see it in the first item here. Silver and Gold get 5*, Plat and 1K (and GS, though it’s not mentioned) get President’s Circle.

Back on the thread’s topic, though: Marriott knows how many people are getting status from UA, and they know much much they’re staying, and there’s somebody there who can (but won’t ) tell you how profitable or unprofitable the promotion has been. If it’s been unprofitable, they’ll certainly change it. If not, they may well keep it the same (meaning, UA Gold -> Marriott Platinum).

Even if they do change it, it might be like the Hertz program where it’s multi-tiered; perhaps they’ll give Silver and Gold the new Marriott Gold and Plat, 1K, and GS the new Marriott Platinum. That would obviously be an upgrade for UA Silvers and a downgrade for UA Golds, but if they’re having a lounge capacity problem, that might address it.
Rewards Plus is reciprocal correct? I am a MR Platinum Elite and get matched to UA Silver. If we are going to be equitable then I think MR Platinum Elite should, as a minimum, be matched to UA Gold so I can enjoy lounge access when flying too.

Matching UA Gold to the New MR Gold would be equitable in reciprocity from a MR standpoint. As it sits the Rewards Plus program favours UA over MR Members.

James
bosman likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Me too. In fact that inspired me to open a Marriott card to earn a bushel of points which I used to become Companion Pass on WN (travel package) and stop flying UA domestic. Thanks UA!
Glad you got in before that opportunity was sewn shut. 😃
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Rewards Plus is reciprocal correct? I am a MR Platinum Elite and get matched to UA Silver. If we are going to be equitable then I think MR Platinum Elite should, as a minimum, be matched to UA Gold so I can enjoy lounge access when flying too.

Matching UA Gold to the New MR Gold would be equitable in reciprocity from a MR standpoint. As it sits the Rewards Plus program favours UA over MR Members.

James
Reciprocity from the passenger / guest perspective has nothing to do with it. UA has decided that providing these benefits to Marriott Platinum customers is not profitable: they won’t generate enough new business to make up for the cost of providing these benefits. (Remember: UA has to pay actual cash to *A partners for every entry into a partner club).

PS: It wouldn’t do you any good on domestic trips anyway, where UA Gold doesn’t get United Club access. Not sure if you fly UA domestically or not.
JMBResona likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
No. I'm 1K and Hertz grants me PC year after year. Have you submitted your details via https://hertzstatus.mileageplus.com/ ?
^ I had no idea about this match-thanks for posting it!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:53 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club

Many thanks to you for the clarification, and to laxmillenial for suggesting a course of action. Clearly I have been screwed for the past ten years or more, having never been given PC in my life, despite having 1K for all that time and longer. Since I did not know I was entitled to it, I never questioned the 5* or just plain Gold membership. I'm posting this here in case others have been in the same position.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:36 am

Reciprocity from the passenger / guest perspective has nothing to do with it. UA has decided that providing these benefits to Marriott Platinum customers is not profitable: they won’t generate enough new business to make up for the cost of providing these benefits. (Remember: UA has to pay actual cash to *A partners for every entry into a partner club).

PS: It wouldn’t do you any good on domestic trips anyway, where UA Gold doesn’t get United Club access. Not sure if you fly UA domestically or not.
I have never stepped onto a United Aircraft ever, although I am considering a few cheap MR's for Gold Status or better. I am not from the USA so PQD doesn't come into play for me. A vast majority of my flights are international anyway.

I am starting to look at the Alliances for something to add to my current statuses so I am just trying to determine which is best for me as a supplement.

UA Gold would be easily attainable and if that ultimately maps to Marriott Platinum, it might sway me that way. Organic MR Status which, for me, has been extremely inconsistent and I likely will not continue to strive to maintain Platinum Elite. At one Marriott Property the Manager upgraded me to an Ocean Front Suite for a prior stay mishap and the Check-in agent downgraded me to a regular room with oceanview upon arrival. I have been offered a suite at another property if I was willing to forego the 4pm guaranteed late check-out. Apparently suites are exempt? Check-out a noon or no upgrade! SPG upgrades on my status match were virtually non-existent. Better outside the USA but still not fantastic. I have some post July stays booked. I hope to find better consistency and adherence to the program. That absent, I will move my 100% leisure travel nights elsewhere or just become a free agent.

Any thoughts/advise on the Alliance benefits would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

James
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never stepped onto a United Aircraft ever, although I am considering a few cheap MR's for Gold Status or better. I am not from the USA so PQD doesn't come into play for me. A vast majority of my flights are international anyway.

I am starting to look at the Alliances for something to add to my current statuses so I am just trying to determine which is best for me as a supplement.
Attaining any UA status — other than via the Marriott status match — requires 4 flights per year on UA aircraft.

I suspect that UA doesn’t make much money on Gold+ passengers who don’t actually fly UA flights. I would think that the outlays for the lounge would likely outweigh the payments they get for the frequent flyer miles they award you. Unless you’re traveling a lot of JV flights — TATL with LH group or AC; TPAC with NH or NZ — they may well come out behind.

UA Gold would be easily attainable and if that ultimately maps to Marriott Platinum, it might sway me that way.
The RewardsPlus mappings have been on a year-to-year basis from day 1. You won’t really know what your 2019 status will be until either (a) they make an announcement or (b) you check your account on February 1.

Any thoughts/advise on the Alliance benefits would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
I’d choose an airline alliance based upon whether or not they fly you where you need to go at times that makes sense to you. For airport lounge access, consider Amex Platinum or Priority Pass. For hotel lounge access, if that’s an important perk for you (as opposed to buying up to the club level on the stays where you care most about it), and you don’t want to rely on UA and Marriott agreeing on something favorable to you every year, I think organic status at the chain that serves your needs the best is the way to go.

*A works well for me because it meets the first criterion, and UA is my choice from within *A because I do a lot of domestic UA flying. If you find *A is the right alliance, but you don’t care for MileagePlus, Aegean and Asiana both have the reputation of being easy carriers on which to earn *G.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

James
The main perks of UA Silver are free bag and E+ seats. The benefit of just those two perks more than make up for the lounge access, which is the most-used perk Marriott provides. I think that's the view UA and Marriott are (were) going with. Your argument of one partner favored over the other is certainly your opinion. I think it holds no water.

Marriott is a hotel chain. United is an airline. It's not reciprocal like two airlines providing lounge access to each other. How come Marriott doesn't provide E+ seating in it's hotel to Golds from UA? Of course, the last point is to show that the benefits don't have to be (or can't be) reciprocal in the black and white version you think it ought to be.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 3, 2018 at 1:06 pm
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

James
Don't believe the intent was a lounge benefit for lounge benefit.
Marriott provide a lounge benefit for UA elites and UA provide E+ access benefit (and free bag allowance domestically) for Marriott elites.
That seemed to be a fair trade. And did not favor one over the other.
To throw in UC access would have inbalance the reciprocal balance (and only worked for international travel as that is the UA Gold benefit)
If the UA elites are denied Marriott lounge, the pricipal advantage goes to the Marriott folks with E+ access and bag allowance.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If we are going to be equitable then I think MR Platinum Elite should, as a minimum, be matched to UA Gold so I can enjoy lounge access when flying too.
While I express no comment, you should take this issue to Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.