Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
I posted this in the GS forum, but it seems to be more appropriate here.
What GS forum?
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Good but you left out the most important part.

Statuses after January 2019:
MR Gold through UA status match -> New MR Gold: No Lounge access (massive downgrade).

It would be stupid to suddenly downgrade UA elites in August but come January don't expect much.
We don't know this. It is all speculation. While I tend to agree with you and do believe this is how they will match people (as I have said it would be crazy to give UA elites Platinum while they don't even do that for credit card people unless they spend $$$), this is speculation. Marriott has NOT said either way yet.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:50 pm

SPG Gold -> New MR Gold: No lounge access
And SPG Gold never had lounge access to begin with. They were 'granted' it due to the merger becoming closer. It was never a benefit they were entitled to in the first place, so...Marriott is merely pushing them back 'where they were originally'. It is not a devaluation or 'taking away' of benefits whatsoever.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by LordHamster
What GS forum?
The first rule of the GS forum...

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
And SPG Gold never had lounge access to begin with. They were 'granted' it due to the merger becoming closer. It was never a benefit they were entitled to in the first place, so...Marriott is merely pushing them back 'where they were originally'. It is not a devaluation or 'taking away' of benefits whatsoever.
It is a devaluation.

It is true that before the merger, I did not have access to lounges by reason of my 1K status. Since the merger, I have stayed at several Marriotts and enjoyed lounge access by reason of my 1K status. I will apparently soon no longer have access to the lounges by reason of my 1K status.

You can argue whether the reasons why are reasonable/appropriate/whatever, but it is absolutely a removal of a benefit, which I found valuable. In each of those several cases, I likely would not have stayed at the Marriott in question, absent lounge access, because there were equally convenient options that I would have preferred but for the lounge access.
rch4u and artvandalay like this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LordHamster
What GS forum?
Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

SPG Gold -> New MR Gold: No lounge access
MR Gold through UA status match -> New MR Gold: No Lounge access (massive downgrade).
MR Gold through 50 EQN -> New MR Plat: Breakfast (and supposedly lounge access)
Any MR Gold status as of July 31,2018 is given Plat through EOY. This is what is relevant for UA customers with Gold status or higher. SPG is a red herring to be debated in the Marriott or SPG forum

as to Jan 1 2019, I haven’t seen anything definitive. I would think any MR Plat earned in 2018 (whether converted from MR Gold on aug 1 or earned the old fashioned way) would stay Plat for 2019. We shall see.

Last edited by uastarflyer; Jun 30, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Ah...the THREAD was meant. Threw me with reference to a forum.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM
Interesting perspective. Having both Mariott and Hilton Gold, the deciding factor for me is location/price/property. Lounge access/breakfast isn't even on the list.
Concur, but there are many cases when price and location are roughly equivalent (this is how the market works). At that point hotel rewards enter the picture, to wit: (1) Do I want/need EQN for status? (2) Which chain has better perks (for me, Marriott lounge access is significant; HIX, Hampton breakfasts are not) (3) best ROI - there are many analysis and bonuses are a factor, but I generally find for my intended redemptions Hyatt>Marriott>IC>Hilton.

Considering these 3 factors, I would almost always go with Marriott or Hyatt under the pre-2017 programs. Going forward, Marriott is looking less attractive, both due to perk reduction and devaluation for top properties (e.g. London).

Originally Posted by greg99
It is a devaluation.

It is true that before the merger, I did not have access to lounges by reason of my 1K status. Since the merger, I have stayed at several Marriotts and enjoyed lounge access by reason of my 1K status. I will apparently soon no longer have access to the lounges by reason of my 1K status.

You can argue whether the reasons why are reasonable/appropriate/whatever, but it is absolutely a removal of a benefit, which I found valuable. In each of those several cases, I likely would not have stayed at the Marriott in question, absent lounge access, because there were equally convenient options that I would have preferred but for the lounge access.
+1 And there are a lot of 1Ks who don't/can't stay 50 nights at a single chain due to travel patterns.
greg99 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
as I have said it would be crazy to give UA elites Platinum while they don't even do that for credit card people unless they spend $$$
It’s not any crazier than it was pre-merger, where you would have needed to spend $105,000 per year on the old Marriott card to get Gold status without any stays — or be a UA Gold member.

I don’t claim to have any inside insight into what decision will be made for 2019, but I will say this: Marriott intentionally selected a matching reward level that they thought would maximize their revenue — they wanted it to be attractive enough to UA elites that they’d pick up incremental stays that they wouldn’t otherwise have gotten, but without diminishing the experience enough for their frequent guests as to lose a lot of business that way.

People who are focusing on the name of the level are missing the point. Marriott will absolutely grant UA Gold members Platinum status in their program if they think it makes sense, just like Hertz grants UA Platinum / 1K / GS members President’s Circle status. Marriott is well aware that the new Platinum level is approximately equivalent to the old Gold level. The only reason that they’re moving things around is to try to reduce backlash from SPG Gold members; they didn’t like the idea of telling them, “sorry, your 25 nights per year is now only worth Silver.”

I don’t see any reason to move pre-booked Marriott stays to other properties. I’d wait and see what your status is in August first.
east_west likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jsloan
I don’t claim to have any inside insight into what decision will be made for 2019, but I will say this: Marriott intentionally selected a matching reward level that they thought would maximize their revenue — they wanted it to be attractive enough to UA elites that they’d pick up incremental stays that they wouldn’t otherwise have gotten, but without diminishing the experience enough for their frequent guests as to lose a lot of business that way.
Before Marriott gave me matching status, I didn't prioritize their properties. I have since they matched. If they reduce the benefit - take away my lounge access - I will revert to my pre matching habits, meaning less $$ for Marriott.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

+1 And there are a lot of 1Ks who don't/can't stay 50 nights at a single chain due to travel patterns.
+1 I'm a 1K who doesn't stay 50 nights in a hotel so no chances of staying 50 nights in a single chain. Only reason I'm 1K is that I travel long hauls and for some I manage to get a P fare.

But for the nights that I stay in a hotel, I do value getting some benefits.......
greg99 and nomad420 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by halls120
Before Marriott gave me matching status, I didn't prioritize their properties. I have since they matched. If they reduce the benefit - take away my lounge access - I will revert to my pre matching habits, meaning less $$ for Marriott.
I was nothing but a hilton baby, I now have switched to MR. If we lose the lounge access, then MR goes back to HH on my trips to PVG and LHR later this year. I unfort. dont stay 50+ nights a year at one chain, so this was a big plus.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:19 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jsloan
just like Hertz grants UA Platinum / 1K / GS members President’s Circle status.
Hertz granted this UA Platinum 5* status, not PC. It was the same when I was 1K, and I assume that when I hit 1K again later this year nothing will change. I suspect that PC is reserved to UA GS members only.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by 1P
Hertz granted this UA Platinum 5* status, not PC. It was the same when I was 1K, and I assume that when I hit 1K again later this year nothing will change. I suspect that PC is reserved to UA GS members only.
No. I'm 1K and Hertz grants me PC year after year. Have you submitted your details via https://hertzstatus.mileageplus.com/ ?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
I was nothing but a hilton baby, I now have switched to MR. If we lose the lounge access, then MR goes back to HH on my trips to PVG and LHR later this year. I unfort. dont stay 50+ nights a year at one chain, so this was a big plus.
I have stayed in Hiltons both in PVG (in the city) and LHR (in the city and at the airport) and I have always been treated very well as a Gold. I have never tried MR at those destinations as the Hiltons outside the US seem to like me. I think it is in the US that MR would have provided me some advantages above those provided by Hilton.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.