Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

App display of early cleared upgrades changed? Waitlists on gate monitors going away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

App display of early cleared upgrades changed? Waitlists on gate monitors going away?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by hookthem
If intentional, this is very inconsiderate of United. I enjoy looking around the F/J cabin and judging all of the scrubs! This has effectively stopped this hobby... but I do still get to judge those that clear during the < T-24 window.
Do you mean "Scrubs" as in the TLC song?

Too bad about Left Eye, I always thought she was the most talented.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Does Lifetime Gold trump "This Year's" Gold? Slightly OT, but I doubt this merits a string of its own. DTW to ORD – last minute attempt to get off a delayed flight onto one on time. Gate agent very helpful and booked me into the last seat minutes before loading began. As I headed toward the jetway I heard a bit of a ruckus from someone who had been #1 on the waitlist and did not get the one seat. Gate agent explained “but he’s a lifetime gold.” Didn’t seem to sit well with the disgruntled, would-be passenger. My question: are all Golds not alike? Does lifetime / million miler in fact trump this year’s gold? (Of course, I’m not complaining…)
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Datapoint June 14

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I have a flight tomorrow so will check the monitors.

On the app my UG does not appear (neither before or after I checked in). I was upgraded with a RPU for both flights and do not appear on the UG list but there is a list of those waiting to UG.
No UG lists on monitors at DEN. Only displayed STBY list.

UG list on app only showed the UGs for some people, i.e. my UG never showed for SAN-DEN or DEN-BIL.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spainflyer
Does lifetime / million miler in fact trump this year’s gold? (Of course, I’m not complaining…)
No.

Was the other passenger also attempting to do the same thing (get off of your flight onto the on-time flight)? During IRROPS, if there's open inventory, it's first come, first served. If they've zeroed it out, then they should have gone in waitlist order, which would be status, then fare class. Did you ever appear on the waitlist?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Does Lifetime Gold trump "This Year's" Gold?
No. They are the same in the eyes of the computer.

Not enough details here to know whether GA handled properly. But there are several scenarios that have you legitimately clearing ahead of the pax who was previously waitlisted #1 , particularly if you were in paid F or on a higher fare class ticket.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hookthem
If intentional, this is very inconsiderate of United. I enjoy looking around the F/J cabin and judging all of the scrubs! This has effectively stopped this hobby... but I do still get to judge those that clear during the < T-24 window.
Actually I was just contemplating if this could be an intentional change to limit complaints about upgrades when F passengers are seeking weather re-routes or the like.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
No.

Was the other passenger also attempting to do the same thing (get off of your flight onto the on-time flight)? During IRROPS, if there's open inventory, it's first come, first served. If they've zeroed it out, then they should have gone in waitlist order, which would be status, then fare class. Did you ever appear on the waitlist?
I only appeared on the electronic board wait list after I had cleared, with a check next to my name. But that's because I walked up to the counter, and gate agent took care of the re-booking in about 60 seconds. There were about six other PAX below me on the board. My fare was T class. No idea what other PAXs´ fare classes were.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I only appeared on the electronic board wait list after I had cleared, with a check next to my name. But that's because I walked up to the counter, and gate agent took care of the re-booking in about 60 seconds. There were about six other PAX below me on the board. My fare was T class. No idea what other PAXs´ fare classes were.
It's strange that you appeared on the board at all. IRROPS rebookings can be made into positive space. It sounds like the agent added you to the standby list and then processed you as a standby, which is a strange way to do it and caused consternation for the person who had been first on the list.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
The reason visible upgrade lists were first introduced was to substantially reduce the number of pax asking the gate agent if they were listed and the likelihood of clearing. The benefit of showing how many pax were upgraded, whether prior to airport control or on day of departure, is for marketing value to the carrier—“yes, some pax actually do get upgraded and if you’re not one of them, you should fly us more.” It all makes sense.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The lack of advance upgrades continues... it's really rather infuriating when trying to get insight into elite loads, etc.. but maybe that's the point.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Datapoint June 19

BIL airport, UG list displayed at the gate but only for those waiting to UG. My name does not appear but I was upgraded (with an RPU a few months ago).

For a small airport, for UA 5915, BIL-DEN: 8 on the UGS list for 9 available seats.

​​​DEN, UG list displayed on monitors at the gate, but again only for those who are still waiting for the UG.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Jun 19, 2018 at 10:19 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
No confirmed upgrades showing at all (website and app) on multiple flight to/from HNL today (incl.mine). Certainly is going to crimp my analyses of CPU upgrade patterns. I'm thinking it also makes it harder for us to spot the rare case of shenanigans.
LAXOGG and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
No confirmed upgrades showing at all (website and app) on multiple flight to/from HNL today (incl.mine). Certainly is going to crimp my analyses of CPU upgrade patterns. I'm thinking it also makes it harder for us to spot the rare case of shenanigans.
Not seeing the list and with that making an educated guess as to whether a TOD is worth it is annoying. Not to mention how dismal the first class catering is. For the first time ever, I’m thinking my return to 1K and slowly gaining ground on 1MM isn’t a priority. United overall treats me well, but the constant texts from a frequent flyer friend on AS and AA with great upgrade success, and better food makes me wonder why I remain loyal to UA.
Aussienarelle and tstauck like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Interesting reports. For outbound last week we were #1 and #2 on the app list, which eventually populated as more passengers checked in. There were 2 open seats on the F map and we got both of them. For the return flight again I saw a waitlist on the app after T-24, though it was no relevant to me as we actually received CPUs about 80 hours out.

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Not seeing the list and with that making an educated guess as to whether a TOD is worth it is annoying. Not to mention how dismal the first class catering is. For the first time ever, I’m thinking my return to 1K and slowly gaining ground on 1MM isn’t a priority. United overall treats me well, but the constant texts from a frequent flyer friend on AS and AA with great upgrade success, and better food makes me wonder why I remain loyal to UA.
As demonstrated above 1K status still matters for CPUs so long as you are not flying hub-hub. Have not personally seen anything clear in years flying between SFO, IAH, ORD, IAD though occasionally you may win the lottery.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
At HNL UC now. Only one name on app confirmed upgrade list for LAX and that was minutes ago. Not mine and I got upgraded days ago. Looks like only those upgraded off airport list might show?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.