Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

App display of early cleared upgrades changed? Waitlists on gate monitors going away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

App display of early cleared upgrades changed? Waitlists on gate monitors going away?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
jsloan — You obviously know far more about this topic than I do. I just know that, as a business owner, I don't make changes just for the sake of making changes, and when I do make changes, it's because I believe they'll increase revenue. Assuming these changes by United weren't unintended, it seems like there's a revenue motive somewhere.
You may be better at estimating revenue than UA is. Don’t discount that possibility.

I’m sure you’re right that UA thinks they’re making more money with this change (again, assuming it’s intentional). But they’ve had to make high-profile about-faces before (see: BE).
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jsloan — You obviously know far more about this topic than I do. I just know that, as a business owner, I don't make changes just for the sake of making changes, and when I do make changes, it's because I believe they'll cut costs and/or increase revenue. Assuming these changes by United weren't unintended, it seems like there's a cost/revenue motive somewhere.

I agree that United isn't losing money from SDC, but as with anything, the longer something exists, the more people find a way to exploit it. If United is trying to be less transparent with SDC and/or upgrades, perhaps they're responding to some trend they've noticed.
I think we all agree there's a revenue motive somewhere, but some of us suspect it's a revenue-now at the unwitting expense of revenue-later motive.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would anyone buy a $1,500 Y ticket when they could buy an F ticket for $300? Anyone still doing this is throwing money away. Such a person could literally throw away three such F tickets per trip and still come out ahead.
As jsloan notes - the person buying the $1500 Y ticket is either paying for refundability/unrestricted changeability or they're paying for last minute availability. We used to be all full-fare Y until someone finally did the math and decided even paying quite a few change fees was cheaper. We can still get them if there's justification - I've had to go on travel where I knew there were likely to be schedule changes on the outbound and the return (and potentially multiple changes) and just put that in a note and they got me a refundable ticket (that also got me an instant upgrade as a silver). I've been on expensive last minute tickets as well- there were certainly no $300 F fares available when I was on a $1000 discount-Y (not even full Y) on tickets purchased 24 hours or less before I had to fly.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Exactly. I don't think UA realizes how off-putting it is to buy an expensive refundable fare and watch the F cabin fill with purchases of P fares that cost considerably less.
Seems like United must realize that, but trusts its beancounters who have assuredly run the numbers a hundred different ways.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Exactly. I don't think UA realizes how off-putting it is to buy an expensive refundable fare and watch the F cabin fill with purchases of P fares that cost considerably less.
Historically I have been one of those people who has purchased low P fares.

In 2018 I have only purchased a few domestic P fares and even then some of those were upfares after the original purchase as the upfare was less than the P fare at time of purchase. However, for the last couple the upfare would have resulted in paying more then the original P fare price and as I have used all my RPUs I am relying on CPUs for those trips.

For 2018 I have purchased no international P fares. A first for a number of years. I had eight GPUs and so far been able to use them (still waiting for two to take but they have all been applied). I have one international flight where I will be in E+ as no more available GPUs and the P fare was too expensive. I use a routing to limit the TATL portion.

So I think there has been a change in pricing for the routes I take with less availability of low P fares. Of course my idea of a low P fare compared to others may be quite different.

I think UA are doing themselves a disservice by taking away the transparency of the UG lists at the gate. Something to be said for looking at the monitors and wondering how you can get to be one of the people who have been upgraded or close to the top of the upgrade list - something to aim for. Is it annoying to be #1 and not get the upgrade? Yes, of course, but think the transparency is important. If you take away the transparency I get concerned there is more availability for "shenanigans" (to use the FT phrase).

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Jun 9, 2018 at 7:09 am Reason: Grammar (as always)
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:28 am
Suspended

I really missed my calling. I’d love to work for United and think of such things to displease their customers. The person who created this is on his/her couch smiling while having a cocktail. All in a days work
Silver Fox and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I don't think UA realizes how off-putting it is to buy an expensive refundable fare and watch the F cabin fill with purchases of P fares that cost considerably less.
You had the choice to pay less and you decided not to.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 9, 2018 at 12:20 pm Reason: Unappropriate comments removed
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Sure they do. They don't care. UA values the guaranteed $300 more than the chance of $1500. People buy refundable tickets because they're refundable, meaning many times, they are refunded. Bird in hand and all that. If sitting in FC is more important than refund-ability, buy P and not Y. I credit RM with knowing what they're doing most of the time.
milypan likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You had the choice to pay less and you decided not to.
If I buy a refundable Y fare, rather than a cheaper nonrefundable P fare, it's not because I have a flawed purchasing strategy. It's because I can't be stuck with a nonrefundable ticket if the event for which I'm traveling cancels.

Originally Posted by Catbert10
I credit RM with knowing what they're doing most of the time.
That is an unwarranted assumption
StuckinITH and mrt88 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 9, 2018 at 12:21 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Mod edit; removed response to deleted material
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
If I buy a refundable Y fare, rather than a cheaper nonrefundable P fare, it's not because I have a flawed purchasing strategy. It's because I can't be stuck with a nonrefundable ticket if the event for which I'm traveling cancels.
Right, but clearly the value of refundability is worth more to you than the value of sitting in F with 100% certainty, or else you would have bought the cheaper P fare. If you value both things sufficiently, then you’d buy a refundable F fare.

I’m not saying that UA isn’t charging “too much” for refundability, if your definition of “too much” is “more than their expected cost.” But that’s true of dozens of things they sell, from E+ to checked bags to alcoholic drinks to change fees to phone booking charges. At the end of the day they’re going to charge what the market bears, not what it costs them.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
How often do your events get canceled? If we're really talking about $1,500 for Y vs. $300 for P, or anything remotely close thereto, ~75% of your events could get canceled and you'd still come out ahead by buying the non-refundable P fares.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
How often do your events get canceled? If we're really talking about $1,500 for Y vs. $300 for P, or anything remotely close thereto, ~75% of your events could get canceled and you'd still come out ahead by buying the non-refundable P fares.

I am the same way - here is my difference

If i have a $300 ticket and the job cancels and I forfeit the ticket my BOSS and company pays - If I bought a $1500 refundable ticket - it is refunded

If i have a $1500 refundable ticket and the job goes as planned my company takes the $1500 and adds 10% and charges the client $1650 for a ticket

So, the difference is cancelled flights without refunds, my boss and company pay for, tickets I fly are paid for by the client, so 100% of my cancelled tickets are paid for by the company and they always will come out behind no matter what - so I buy refundable ALWAYS

Sorry boss, that $6400 ticket to SIN, yeah, you are going to have to eat it - LOL, yeah, not gonna be making that phone call

As for how often do they get cancelled, it is June and I have 23 cancelled intermarries so far this year.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moderator Note

We seem to be drifting OT. Let's return to the discussion of the change in the displayed upgrade waitlist. The booking of refundable vs nonrefundable fares has been discussed many times in many forums and not really relevant to the topic at hand.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:23 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by drewguy
While I agree with information, from a practical standpoint the information isn't relevant. If your upgrade cleared before T-24 for whatever reason, when you check in you'll have your upgraded seat. If you haven't been upgraded yet, then you'll show on a list as awaiting an upgrade or upgraded. Only those pax really have a *need* to consult the list. For everyone else it's just curiousity.
+1
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As curious as I am with airline systems and inventories and think more information is better for those of us who are more experienced, I guess the "who upgraded information is not relevant for those on the list" argument is valid.

I guess the problem is that there is not much trust with UA nowadays and we wonder if this is part of a bigger scheme to screw us down the road.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.