Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

App display of early cleared upgrades changed? Waitlists on gate monitors going away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

App display of early cleared upgrades changed? Waitlists on gate monitors going away?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver

CNBC: Wait your turn, Group 5. United is testing a new boarding method this summer

Also mentioned: upgrade lists on gate monitors are going away.

Moderator Note: Split out the discussion on "upgrade lists on gate monitors are going away" to this separate thread.
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...6-forward.html for discussion about boarding groups

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 8, 2018 at 9:01 am Reason: new thread on display issue
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Critic
Boo.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Critic
CNBC: Wait your turn, Group 5. United is testing a new boarding method this summer

While at first it seems strange to be removing this information, I can't remember the last time I looked at a monitor for upgrade information. Back in the day, one would rush to the gate to see your status on the upgrade list, but now I have the app for that, so I already know when and if I will be upgraded long before I get to the gate.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
While at first it seems strange to be removing this information, I can't remember the last time I looked at a monitor for upgrade information. Back in the day, one would rush to the gate to see your status on the upgrade list, but now I have the app for that, so I already know when and if I will be upgraded long before I get to the gate.
I use the app, too, but I still enjoy seeing it up there. Maybe it was all those years flying in economy before I finally started having status ...
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
First the gate monitors, next the app.
mr8 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
First the gate monitors, next the app.
And then the upgrades!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joe_miami
I use the app, too, but I still enjoy seeing it up there. Maybe it was all those years flying in economy before I finally started having status ...
I want everyone to see my name in the #1 spot right when First checks in full...including the 120 people on the list behind me
nnn, bbison, villox and 8 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fumje
And then the upgrades!
The upgrades are already gone, but I wouldn't put it past Kirby to order the upgrade list pulled from the app to remove any shred of transparency in the process, and for no other reason than he enjoys extending his middle finger to customers....that's the Baldanza way.
Markie, Miggles, milypan and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The upgrades are already gone, but I wouldn't put it past Kirby to order the upgrade list pulled from the app to remove any shred of transparency in the process, and for no other reason than he enjoys extending his middle finger to customers....that's the Baldanza way.
Upgrade List on the app and web has been modified to only show confirmed upgrades after checking in. Major downgrade.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Upgrade List on the app and web has been modified to only show confirmed upgrades after checking in. Major downgrade.
No? I still see the waitlist?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
No? I still see the waitlist?
look at flights out a couple days. No info on who is confirmed with a seat. Have to be checked in to show up on the list. That reduces the value of the list since you can’t tell what the paid vs upgraded ratio is.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SFO 1K

look at flights out a couple days. No info on who is confirmed with a seat. Have to be checked in to show up on the list. That reduces the value of the list since you can’t tell what the paid vs upgraded ratio is.
I see what you mean and stand corrected. However, there are numerous ways how someone could have been upgraded yet not show up on the list when using instruments. So wouldn't the paid vs upgraded ratio (on flights where instruments are commonly used) be way off to begin with?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I see what you mean and stand corrected. However, there are numerous ways how someone could have been upgraded yet not show up on the list when using instruments. So wouldn't the paid vs upgraded ratio (on flights where instruments are commonly used) be way off to begin with?
For a CPU-eligible route, I believe any _PU / MUA (formerly) put you on with a checkmark no matter when it cleared.

Is this their way of fixing the JN 'bug'?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Wait, so they have changed the behavior of CPU-eligible flights? This seems like it deserves its own thread if true.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA GS
I have tested multiple flights throughout the system and intentionally selected flight where one would expect upgrades to be cleared. Not one flight showed a cleared upgrade on the app outside of T-24 (it is possible that a cleared upgrade is invisible and included in the Booked total.) What is really troubling is that on several flights that I looked at, at T-25-48, there were still many FC available seats for sale on flights that typically have 50+% of FC upgraded.........meaning that upgrades are being held back.......maybe all the way to T-24. If this is what we have to look forward to, this has the potential of being one of the worst moves ever by UA.

The other item of note is all of my frequented airports disappeared form my Search for Flights tab on the Flight status portion of the app. Instead 11 airport that I have never traveled to showed up. Most of the airports aren't even serviced by UA
Halo117 and ok2uselane like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.