Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by EWR764
Word is out on another site (not my post) regarding a company memo about the May 1 "enhancements".

POLARIS SERVICE ENHANCEMENTS
Frequently Asked Questions

1. When do the service updates go into effect?
A: The service updates are effective May 1, 2018, on all long-haul international flights.

2. Why are we making changes to our United Polaris® service?
A: Customers have positively received our United Polaris lounge, and this year we are opening more United Polaris lounges beginning this summer in San Francisco, Houston and New York/Newark and in the fall, Los Angeles. As we continue to add more lounges, we want to take into account the feedback that customers have given us — they’ve emphasized their desire to rest and relax during their journey, especially onboard. The updates to the service flow will allow us to continue providing a premium product with high-quality food, wine, amenities and more, but it’ll be delivered in a more efficient way.

3. What is the new international United Polaris meal service flow?
A: The meal service flow for both first and business class will be the same:
Pre-departure
• Pre-poured sparkling wine, orange juice and water offered from a silver tray, with other beverages available upon request.
Main meal service
• Hot towels
• Linen placement
• Pre-meal beverage cart
• Appetizer and salad cart
• Bread and beverage refills
• Entrées
• Bread and beverage refills
• Dessert and pre-plated cheese cart
• Individual water bottles with hang tags
Mid-flight service (when applicable)
• Display mid-flight snacks on console, self-service unit, fold-down trays or galley countertop.
• Heat and serve hot on-demand items (when applicable) upon customer request.
Pre-arrival service
• Hot towels
• Pre-arrival tray setup with entrée and choice of beverage
• Breads and pastries

4. Will we be able to offer other pre-departure beverages?
A: Yes, upon customer request fulfill other pre-departure beverages in accordance with each departure country’s pre-departure liquor procedures. Refer to the Flight Attendant Policies and Procedures Manual to determine if you are allowed to open beverage carts/carriers that contain alcohol on the ground.

5. Is there still a chocolate offered during pre-departure?
A: Pre-departure chocolates/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray instead for customers to enjoy during or after their flight.

6. What’s changing with the Bloody Mary and wine specialty beverage carts?
A: Wines and Bloody Marys will continue to be available upon request, but the dedicated cart service will change. This was a common flight attendant suggestion for improvement. A new branded cart cover is being sourced to improve presentation in the aisle and will be available shortly after launch.

7. Can we still offer wine tastings?
A: Absolutely. Although the wine arches with the 3 tastings will not be boarded, we can continue to honor customers’ requests to sample select wines.

8. What about the United Polaris first class soup and salad course?
A: The salad and appetizer will be delivered at the same time on a tray setup, instead of having a soup course.

9. What about the turndown service?
A: We will continue to offer the turndown service upon request.

10. Will Express Dining continue to be offered?
A: Yes, Express Dining will continue to be offered and can be requested and delivered at any point during the flight.

11. Will we continue to offer the mini desserts and fruit and cheese?
A: The mini desserts will continue to be offered from the three-tier cart with the signature ice cream service. In addition, pre-plated cheese will be added to the dessert cart. To make room for the fruit and cheese on the dessert cart, the specialty tea box will be removed from the cart, although specialty teas will continue to be available from the galley.

12. Are there any updates to the mid-flight and pre-arrival services?
A: There will be a few updates to both the mid-flight and pre-arrival service.
Mid-flight service (when available) – While we’ll no longer have formal presentation of mid-flight snacks, snack provisioning levels will remain the same and will continue to be displayed near the galley as is done today. Hang tags advising the customers that mid-flight snacks are available will be added to the individual bottle waters distributed after the main meal service. Hot snack items, when available, will also be delivered upon request.
Pre-arrival service – We’re removing tray table linens to reduce trips through the aisle. The tray itself will continue to have a linen liner. The pre-departure chocolate/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray for customers to enjoy during or after the flight.

13. Will there be any new service items introduced to support the new United Polaris service?
A: Yes, there are a few new elements that will be introduced, including:
Cart covers – Similar to some of our competitors, branded cart covers for both the half and full carts will be boarded for use in the aisle on both the beverage and meal tray carts. Cart covers will be available shortly after launch.
Hang tags – To be placed on individual bottle waters at the end of the main meal service to advise customers that mid-flight snacks are available.

14. Will we be changing the domestic meal service procedures to align with the new United Polaris service (e.g. pre-poured pre-departure beverages)?
A: We will continue listening to the feedback of our customers and our flight attendants and will adjust our processes where necessary to deliver the best service for our customers.
Some key points:

- Return of the salad/appetizer cart, although I suspect it's just going to be the meal cart with a fancy cover, to reduce the number of galley trips with hand-run trays
- Beverage carts coming back to the aisle (similar to DL and the former 3-cabin sUA business class service) with branded cart covers
- Soup is gone in Polaris First (so no more differentiation; the product isn't expected to last the full year, anyway)
- Wine tasting arches are gone
- No bloody mary carts (already announced)
- Hot bites will stay
- Bread refills to be offered (return of the bread basket?)
- Pre-departure chocolates returned to the pre-arrival tray

In many ways, this is going to look like the former three-cabin BusinessFirst service with nicer linens and serviceware. Overall, not the sweeping change (or depth of cuts) I was expecting. No word on provisioning of the other items (gel pillows, mattress pads, slippers, PJs, etc.)
Print Wikipost

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Well, that is good news. Was it listed as such on the menu?
It was not listed on the menu. The FA came around mid-way through the flight offering the snack service.

She nudged me toward the curry saying the soup and sandwich option out of the TLV station is “not that good”.

She mentioned other routes have the lobster Mac and cheese, but I forgot to ask which.

I will post menu over in the Let’s Eat thread shortly.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:39 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I feel like UA is going all in with the McDonald's approach, unless you are in first, in which case Applebee's catering. If you fly out of DEN in first, then you still get McDonalds, albeit on a plate.
How dare you insult Applebee's and McDonald's like that!

Originally Posted by villox
Step 1: Make the wines cheap and undrinkable
The wine. So terrible, and such small portions!

Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Well, that is good news. Was it listed as such on the menu?
I think the hot bites have been removed from the EU westbound flights but should still be offered TPAC and other longhaul, like TLV.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I flew 1.5 weeks ago and the "Hot Bites" was offered and on the menu. But the grilled cheese was changed to something really disgusting (like a 3 or 4 cheese grilled cheese with a whole lot of cheese that I don't like). The tomato soup was still very good.

-RM
what routing?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
.. Emirates and Turkish do not have direct-aisle access seats in business-class. Emirates even has middle business-class seats!
Turkish also has middle seats in business but no matter what, the overall experience on those carriers is a much more pleasant experience.

Business Class Reimagined.... yeah sure.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tuolumne
That's overblown. Oscar is liked by all 3 constituencies very well, his employees in particular.
Even after his public about-face on the Dr Dao incident?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Even the cold sandwiches are gone?
Just flew IAH-SYD, there was a pile (not even nicely arranged) of sandwiches in the galley. They looked like the Y midflight snack because they were in the UA-branded plastic bags. Matronly FAs were borderline rude and refused to give out mattress pads and cooling foam pillows (asked three times), until I was "ready." I think they meant ready to sleep, but I was ready from the moment I boarded to claim one before they were taken.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
United ran out of ramen on my last three flights. How much does it cost United to stock up on cup noodles?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Just flew IAH-SYD, there was a pile (not even nicely arranged) of sandwiches in the galley. They looked like the Y midflight snack because they were in the UA-branded plastic bags. Matronly FAs were borderline rude and refused to give out mattress pads and cooling foam pillows (asked three times), until I was "ready." I think they meant ready to sleep, but I was ready from the moment I boarded to claim one before they were taken.
I am furious just reading this - did you escalate to a purser or another FA to get those items for you? That kind of snarky reply is absolutely unacceptable.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I am furious just reading this - did you escalate to a purser or another FA to get those items for you? That kind of snarky reply is absolutely unacceptable.
Same thing happened to me last month — I’m moving all my international J travel to other carriers since it’s not worth the stress/angst o UA
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, of course, and the fact that they're cutting soft product despite record earnings just shows how messed up the whole system has become with its focus on immediate term stock price rather than long term value, but that discussion is heading off-topic.
Wait a minute. Gross margins, Operating margins, and Net margins are all down from a peak in 2016. Gross and Operating margins are still declining, while net margins are roughly flat in 2017 after the decline from 2016. So it's just not fair to claim that UA is making record earnings. Decent earning yes.

Source: United Continental Holdings (UAL) Profit Margin History | MacroTrends

Labor and fuel costs are up, although fuel is hard to predict probably go lower. And while the state of stock markets is a little volatile, so that would put extra pressure on the C Suite.

Agree with the general consensus here that if these 'enhancements' are true it's somewhat disappointing. I never expect a plane to be like the Ritz, but wonder how much cutting the grilled cheese and tomato soup mid flight snack really cost? Deja vu with United, to be sure!

Adam
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Collierkr

what routing?
SYD-IAH at the end of January.

The menu said Hot Bites were offered and to ask about the selection. I never asked but when I told the attendant I wasn't interested in either breakfast choice she said she'd give me the Hot Bites item. It was GC & tomato soup as it has been on every single flight I've taken. Never once have they had anything else for Hot Bites.

In addition, the pre-departure 'chocolate' was some disgusting toffee thing in a 10c wrapper. I'm assuming it was a local Australia sweet but I'm not sure. It wasn't even presented in a box. It was something you'd find in coach. And during the flight the snacks they had out were an abundance of these chocolates and some small potato chip bags (I also don't eat them). So, I didn't have a mid-flight snack on a 16 hour flight. No huge deal for me; I wasn't starving. But it would be nice to see them offer something healthy and definitely a wider choice.

-RM
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by adambrau
Wait a minute. Gross margins, Operating margins, and Net margins are all down from a peak in 2016. Gross and Operating margins are still declining, while net margins are roughly flat in 2017 after the decline from 2016. So it's just not fair to claim that UA is making record earnings. Decent earning yes.
Yes, two years in a row of earnings over $2 billion. Down slightly year over year in 2017 - "only" $2.1 billion vs. $2.3 billion in 2016. Earnings per share were actually higher in 2017 ($7.02 vs. $6.85 in 2016), due I would imagine to $1.8 billion in share buybacks in 2017.

2015 was their record year, at $4.5 billion.

Last edited by Kacee; Feb 8, 2018 at 4:23 pm Reason: not sure about 'record'
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:31 pm
PPM

I wrote a complaint letter about the service cutbacks in BF and GF in the early Fall. I had not flown United business for several months, electing other star alliance carriers. I found no slippers, running out of GF wine selection before the flight began (not enough loaded back in the US for the return from China), pre-departure drinks served in plastic glasses again--running out of pelligrino--just like the old business class, and I was actually in GF. I got a $500 certificate telling me they were sorry I was disappointed. Last year, I flew 250,000 premier qualifying miles and spent nearly $30,000. I spent another $50,000 on star alliance carriers because of the better premium cabin services. This year, I have 3 international BF and GF trips that will get me to $12,000 spend to requalify for 1K, and the rest of my international travel will be on Air Canada, LOT, SWISS, and Lufthansa. I truly think the combination of poor service products and the 8-across business class seating and only two lavatories in BF make this product a dinosaur. How they get people to pay the actual BF fares is astonishing to me.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LC757
I have a 15 hour EWR-PVG next week. If hot bites are indeed gone, that's a downgrade from the mid flight hot noodle soup service they had on TPACs prior to the Polaris rollout.
I miss the noodle soup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.