Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread is for discussing the implications of UA's ESA policy changes. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules).

UA will be removing the Emotional Support Animal options 28 February 2021 per new guidance from DOT
Emotional support animals
United will continue to accept emotional support animals for reservations booked before January 11, 2021, for travel on or before February 28, 2021, in accordance with rules from the U.S. Department of Transportation. No emotional support animals will be transported after February 28, 2021. United is committed to ensuring safe and accessible travel experiences for all of our customers.

To request to travel with an emotional support animal for travel before February 28, for trips booked on January 10, please send required support documents to [email protected].
U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Final Rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals -- Dec 2020

an airline non-specific thread such as The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines (Archive -- old DOT rules)
Service and Support Animals in the Cabin (2021 onwards)

========================================= OLD data ================================================== ====

This thread is for discussing what it takes to properly qualify for ESA under UA's rules and what to expect as an ESA traveler. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules). Those issues are better raised in
UA's (July 2020)
Emotional support and psychiatric service animals
Emotional support animals and psychiatric service animals provide emotional, psychiatric or cognitive support for individuals with disabilities, but may or may not have task-specific training with respect to a disability.

Emotional support and psychiatric service animals are also accepted in cabin for qualified individuals with a disability if certain information and additional documentation that United requires are provided in advance of travel. In addition to providing a letter from a licensed medical/mental health professional, customers need to provide a veterinary health form documenting the health and vaccination records for the animal as well as confirming that the animal has been trained to behave properly in a public setting. With prior documentation and clearance, a customer may travel with no more than one emotional support animal that is usually either a cat or dog (any other animal species would need to comply with DOT regulations and will be evaluated for accommodation on a case-by-case basis) and must be of a minimum age of four months. If the animal weighs more than 65 pounds, United will evaluate on a case-by-case basis whether the animal may safely travel on the passenger’s scheduled flight(s). Multiple emotional support animals for a single customer are not permitted. Whether an emotional support or psychiatric service animal is safely capable of traveling on flights eight hours or more in duration will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Passengers may be held responsible for cleaning fees required as a result of any sanitation issues caused by their emotional support or psychiatric service animal’s travel. United will consider all relevant information, including information from the required documentation, when determining whether an emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal may safely travel in the aircraft cabin on the passenger’s itinerary.

Additional documentation beyond United’s requirements described above may also be required for an animal traveling to an international destination, Hawaii or certain other locations. Please note that not all international destinations allow the entry of animals, and restrictions vary by country. Customers should contact the appropriate consulate or embassy to make sure that all necessary procedures are followed.

An animal must sit at the customer's feet without protruding into the aisle, the foot space of adjacent passengers, or certain other areas that must remain unobstructed to comply with safety regulations. Customers may elect to use an approved in-cabin kennel for smaller animals. Unless in a carrying container, the animal will need to be leashed at all times in the airport and in flight. Exit row seating is prohibited. Refer to the U.S. Department of Transportation 14 CFR Part 382 or contact United for additional information.

Customers traveling with an emotional support animal or a psychiatric service animal must submit the required documentation at least 48 hours before the customer’s flight via our secure portal. If we are unable to validate the documentation, if the customer does not provide completed documentation, or if advance notification is not given, the animal may be denied boarding or may be eligible to be transported as a pet, and pet fees may apply. Contact the United Accessibility Desk at 1-800-228-2744 if you have any questions about this process or are booking a flight within 48 hours of the departure time. See Rule 16 of United’s Contract of Carriage for additional information on service animals.

Forms and documents for emotional support and psychiatric service animals
If you’re traveling with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you’ll need to complete these forms and submit them for approval through our secure portal: Your forms will be valid one year from the date of the earliest signed authorizations, and you’ll need to submit them at least 48 hours before each trip that you take with your support animal, but the earlier the better. Please bring your original forms with you while you’re traveling and be prepared to show them if we ask to see them.
Accessible travel
Find out more about assistance for customers with disabilities, how to request assistance and safety requirements. If you have questions about travel plans, contact our Accessibility Desk at [email protected], or you may call 1-313-234-6992 (charges may apply) or 1-800-228-2744 within the U.S. or Canada. Elsewhere, call your local United Customer Contact Center and ask for the Accessibility Desk.

Print Wikipost

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:17 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It appears you are upgrading, but I would recommend that you try (however you can swing it) for a bulkhead if you end up in Polaris. Those will work out better for the dog (or the dog's carrier).
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by PTahCha
...You might be better off staying in E/E+, perhaps buying an extra seat in between both of you.
While not pet-specific, this is an option for more space / privacy, etc. that often gets overlooked. It's usually a lot cheaper than a premium cabin as well.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
A 12lb dog, in a carrier or meeting the ESA checklist should be perfectly fine in a non-bulkhead PP seat.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Ari
It appears you are upgrading, but I would recommend that you try (however you can swing it) for a bulkhead if you end up in Polaris. Those will work out better for the dog (or the dog's carrier).
dog carriers cannot be in a bulkhead as they must fit underneath a seat.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:22 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Collierkr
dog carriers cannot be in a bulkhead as they must fit underneath a seat.
I think my post might have said something about Polaris and I don't believe that policy applies to Polaris.

All Polaris seats are the same basic frame. The carrier either fits in the foot-fell area or it does not. The carrier does not go against the bulkhead.

Bulkhead rows in Polaris have more room under in the foot-well area; therefore, the carrier or dog is more likely to fit more commodiously than in other rows and make fore a more comfortable human and/or dog during the flight.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ari
I think my post might have said something about Polaris and I don't believe that policy applies to Polaris.

All Polaris seats are the same basic frame. The carrier either fits in the foot-fell area or it does not. The carrier does not go against the bulkhead.

Bulkhead rows in Polaris have more room under in the foot-well area; therefore, the carrier or dog is more likely to fit more commodiously than in other rows and make fore a more comfortable human and/or dog during the flight.
While practically speaking you are right - the dog will fit - the official policy is that In-Cabin pets in a carrier can't be under the footwell in ANY Polaris J seat on the 787-10, and in addition never in any bulkheads. It's stated on the website.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../in-cabin.html

That said, if the OP is travelling without a carrier and follows the Service Animal / ESA process it may all work out.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Ari

I just don’t think there is any plane in any cabin that will hold a pet carrier at the bulkhead and pass the “fully under the seat” test.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Been there, done this. No issue. 12 lb dog in a carrier under the footwell. Agree that bulkhead seats will provide a bit larger footwell space, but not 100% necessary. No one is sending you back to Economy if you have a properly documented ESA on your record.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Traveling with dogs in the COVID era

Ok, dont hate me for this - but I am looking for a practical solution - in the past I have traveled with my golden retriever as my "emotional support dog" (yes, I had him certified and anyone who knows me and knows my dog can attest to his role in my mental health) - I would typically purchase an extra ticket or bis/first class for more room..... but does anyone know where things are with traveling with pets these days?

I have also heard rumors of weight restrictions - so I dont want to show up at the airport only to be turned away?

..and this is specifically geared towards flying on United (which, for many reasons, is my best option)

and... for what it is worth.... I am 1K

-m
Old Nov 12, 2020, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Have you tried calling UA?
Old Nov 12, 2020, 6:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mfirst
I have also heard rumors of weight restrictions - so I dont want to show up at the airport only to be turned away?
;;;;
Probably should read UA's website
such as
If the animal weighs more than 65 pounds, United will evaluate on a case-by-case basis whether the animal may safely travel on the passenger’s scheduled flight(s).
and their are numerous forms that must be submitted in advance.
When traveling with an emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal, you'll need to submit all three forms together to the Accessibility Desk at least 48 hours before your flight. If you want to bring a pet on board, you’ll need to buy an extra ticket for that pet and pay an additional $125 each way. Your pet must also always remain in the floor space under that seat.
Just showing up will be a very bad idea
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:47 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, dont hate me for this - but I am looking for a practical solution - in the past I have traveled with my golden retriever as my "emotional support dog" (yes, I had him certified and anyone who knows me and knows my dog can attest to his role in my mental health) - I would typically purchase an extra ticket or bis/first class for more room..... but does anyone know where things are with traveling with pets these days?

..and this is specifically geared towards flying on United (which, for many reasons, is my best option)

-m
Tips:
  • Use the weight from one of your dog's "lighter" vet visits on the United forms-- there is no obligation to use the most recent weight; even an average weight will do. There is a difference in perception on paper between a 78 lb Rex and an 82 lb Rex (in person, the difference is usually only a walk away).
  • Try traveling in Y with an extra seat or two and let the ESA desk at United know that you are buying an extra seat to make extra room for the dog on the floor so they can properly evaluate your request ("case-by-case basis"). You and the dog might like the extra room and 2 or even 3 Y tickets are cheaper than 1 F ticket on many routes right now, even with a buy-up to E+. I think it beats 1 F seat with a dog on the floor.
  • Obviously fill out the forms and follow all the rules, let UA know sufficiently in advance, etc.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 3:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Final Rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals
  • Defines a service animal as a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability;
  • No longer considers an emotional support animal to be a service animal;
  • Requires airlines to treat psychiatric service animals the same as other service animals;
  • Allows airlines to require forms developed by DOT attesting to a service animal’s health, behavior and training, and if taking a long flight attesting that the service animal can either not relieve itself, or can relieve itself in a sanitary manner;
  • Allows airlines to require individuals traveling with a service animal to provide the DOT service animal form(s) up to 48 hours in advance of the date of travel if the passenger’s reservation was made prior to that time;
  • Prohibits airlines from requiring passengers with a disability who are traveling with a service animal to physically check-in at the airport instead of using the online check-in process;
  • Allows airlines to require a person with a disability seeking to travel with a service animal to provide the DOT service animal form(s) at the passenger’s departure gate on the date of travel;
  • Allows airlines to limit the number of service animals traveling with a single passenger with a disability to two service animals;
  • Allows airlines to require a service animal to fit within its handler’s foot space on the aircraft;
  • Allows airlines to require that service animals be harnessed, leashed, or tethered at all times in the airport and on the aircraft;
  • Continues to allow airlines to refuse transportation to service animals that exhibit aggressive behavior and that pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others; and
  • Continues to prohibit airlines from refusing to transport a service animal solely based on breed.
And more at:
https://www.transportation.gov/brief...ervice-animals
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium

-m
I can’t speak on weight restrictions but consistently isn’t something to for for with UA. I know that UA restricts / limits the number of cabin animals during ticketing but will allow as many as show up when boarding. Example UA 2138 (EWR-LAS) on 11/09/2020 I observed more than ten soft crates parade by and not one vest.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I have traveled with my 80 lbs Golden before - I needed to get him certified as an ESA (anyone who knows me would agree to that!) - but it is only because there are no other reasonable options for those of us with larger pets who need to travel...... I even offered UA to pay the "pet in cabin" fee - but they said no.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.