FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:47 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfirst
Ok, dont hate me for this - but I am looking for a practical solution - in the past I have traveled with my golden retriever as my "emotional support dog" (yes, I had him certified and anyone who knows me and knows my dog can attest to his role in my mental health) - I would typically purchase an extra ticket or bis/first class for more room..... but does anyone know where things are with traveling with pets these days?

I have also heard rumors of weight restrictions - so I dont want to show up at the airport only to be turned away?

..and this is specifically geared towards flying on United (which, for many reasons, is my best option)

and... for what it is worth.... I am 1K

-m
Tips:
  • Use the weight from one of your dog's "lighter" vet visits on the United forms-- there is no obligation to use the most recent weight; even an average weight will do. There is a difference in perception on paper between a 78 lb Rex and an 82 lb Rex (in person, the difference is usually only a walk away).
  • Try traveling in Y with an extra seat or two and let the ESA desk at United know that you are buying an extra seat to make extra room for the dog on the floor so they can properly evaluate your request ("case-by-case basis"). You and the dog might like the extra room and 2 or even 3 Y tickets are cheaper than 1 F ticket on many routes right now, even with a buy-up to E+. I think it beats 1 F seat with a dog on the floor.
  • Obviously fill out the forms and follow all the rules, let UA know sufficiently in advance, etc.