Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread is for discussing the implications of UA's ESA policy changes. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules).

UA will be removing the Emotional Support Animal options 28 February 2021 per new guidance from DOT
Emotional support animals
United will continue to accept emotional support animals for reservations booked before January 11, 2021, for travel on or before February 28, 2021, in accordance with rules from the U.S. Department of Transportation. No emotional support animals will be transported after February 28, 2021. United is committed to ensuring safe and accessible travel experiences for all of our customers.

To request to travel with an emotional support animal for travel before February 28, for trips booked on January 10, please send required support documents to [email protected].
U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Final Rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals -- Dec 2020

an airline non-specific thread such as The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines (Archive -- old DOT rules)
Service and Support Animals in the Cabin (2021 onwards)

========================================= OLD data ================================================== ====

This thread is for discussing what it takes to properly qualify for ESA under UA's rules and what to expect as an ESA traveler. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules). Those issues are better raised in
UA's (July 2020)
Emotional support and psychiatric service animals
Emotional support animals and psychiatric service animals provide emotional, psychiatric or cognitive support for individuals with disabilities, but may or may not have task-specific training with respect to a disability.

Emotional support and psychiatric service animals are also accepted in cabin for qualified individuals with a disability if certain information and additional documentation that United requires are provided in advance of travel. In addition to providing a letter from a licensed medical/mental health professional, customers need to provide a veterinary health form documenting the health and vaccination records for the animal as well as confirming that the animal has been trained to behave properly in a public setting. With prior documentation and clearance, a customer may travel with no more than one emotional support animal that is usually either a cat or dog (any other animal species would need to comply with DOT regulations and will be evaluated for accommodation on a case-by-case basis) and must be of a minimum age of four months. If the animal weighs more than 65 pounds, United will evaluate on a case-by-case basis whether the animal may safely travel on the passenger’s scheduled flight(s). Multiple emotional support animals for a single customer are not permitted. Whether an emotional support or psychiatric service animal is safely capable of traveling on flights eight hours or more in duration will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Passengers may be held responsible for cleaning fees required as a result of any sanitation issues caused by their emotional support or psychiatric service animal’s travel. United will consider all relevant information, including information from the required documentation, when determining whether an emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal may safely travel in the aircraft cabin on the passenger’s itinerary.

Additional documentation beyond United’s requirements described above may also be required for an animal traveling to an international destination, Hawaii or certain other locations. Please note that not all international destinations allow the entry of animals, and restrictions vary by country. Customers should contact the appropriate consulate or embassy to make sure that all necessary procedures are followed.

An animal must sit at the customer's feet without protruding into the aisle, the foot space of adjacent passengers, or certain other areas that must remain unobstructed to comply with safety regulations. Customers may elect to use an approved in-cabin kennel for smaller animals. Unless in a carrying container, the animal will need to be leashed at all times in the airport and in flight. Exit row seating is prohibited. Refer to the U.S. Department of Transportation 14 CFR Part 382 or contact United for additional information.

Customers traveling with an emotional support animal or a psychiatric service animal must submit the required documentation at least 48 hours before the customer’s flight via our secure portal. If we are unable to validate the documentation, if the customer does not provide completed documentation, or if advance notification is not given, the animal may be denied boarding or may be eligible to be transported as a pet, and pet fees may apply. Contact the United Accessibility Desk at 1-800-228-2744 if you have any questions about this process or are booking a flight within 48 hours of the departure time. See Rule 16 of United’s Contract of Carriage for additional information on service animals.

Forms and documents for emotional support and psychiatric service animals
If you’re traveling with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you’ll need to complete these forms and submit them for approval through our secure portal: Your forms will be valid one year from the date of the earliest signed authorizations, and you’ll need to submit them at least 48 hours before each trip that you take with your support animal, but the earlier the better. Please bring your original forms with you while you’re traveling and be prepared to show them if we ask to see them.
Accessible travel
Find out more about assistance for customers with disabilities, how to request assistance and safety requirements. If you have questions about travel plans, contact our Accessibility Desk at [email protected], or you may call 1-313-234-6992 (charges may apply) or 1-800-228-2744 within the U.S. or Canada. Elsewhere, call your local United Customer Contact Center and ask for the Accessibility Desk.

Print Wikipost

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
Not all people are "scamming" for free in cabin dog,
I do use the ESA, simply because I don't have any other option to transport my beloved pet in cabin and will not risk and use cargo.
Um, that's the scam

And it doesn't matter if a doctor signed off on it. A doctor signed off on Michael Jackson's prescriptions, and the extra time applications of students in the college admissions scandal. The issue is whether there is an actual medical necessity for this (and soon it will also be whether the dog is trained as a psychiatric service animal).
abaheti and WindowSeatFlyer like this.

Last edited by dilanesp; Jan 27, 2020 at 2:15 pm
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by rickg523
It's not an ESA. It's your beloved pet that you chose to travel with. Sorry for the inconvenience, but perhaps there's a business opportunity for pet flights. Meanwhile, if it's not a legitimate need, just a strong desire, you should pay the fee and follow the rules that are meant to lessen the inconvenience of your fellow passengers who aren't really interested in flying in a menagerie.
BTW there are extremely secure ways to transport livestock. But they are expensive....
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Um, that's the scam

And it doesn't matter if a doctor signed off on it. A doctor signed off on Michael Jackson's prescriptions, and the extra time applications of students in the college admissions scandal. The issue is whether there is an actual medical necessity for this (and soon it will also be whether the dog is trained as a psychiatric service animal).
What knowledge do you (or any airline for that matter) have to decide if there's an actual medical\mental necessity for a person?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I live in Hawaii and have brought pets with me - so I know what is required for regular pets. No need to refer me as I don't have a service animal.
The site covers non service animals as well of course. But it sounds like you already know the ropes. My beef is the meet and great with the vet at landing. That can be as high as $400 on weekends. The veterinary lobby must be strong in Hawaii because that has turned into a pretty sizable cottage industry for them now. My vet clears two dogs out at KOA and takes in $800 for no more than 15 minutes work and drive time to KOA. Not a bad gig.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
The site covers non service animals as well of course. But it sounds like you already know the ropes. My beef is the meet and great with the vet at landing. That can be as high as $400 on weekends. The veterinary lobby must be strong in Hawaii because that has turned into a pretty sizable cottage industry for them now. My vet clears two dogs out at KOA and takes in $800 for no more than 15 minutes work and drive time to KOA. Not a bad gig.
Fortunately, that isn't a fee we have in Honolulu - the vet is a requirement on the neighbor islands, it is $185 on Honolulu for airport release and no need to arrange a vet as long if you did the paperwork correctly
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Encountered a pretty disappointing abuse of the ESA rules recently. In pmCO J, Passenger in 1E brought her dog aboard and was excitedly announcing that it was the dog's first flight. While the dog was largely very well behaved, it turned out (as it had appeared from the start) that this was in no way a service animal.

At the end of the flight, another passenger asked the lady what the animal was supporting her with. She gleefully explained that this was not a service dog, just her pet, and she didn't like having it travel in the hold because once on AA there was a several hour delay in getting the dog to her. She then went further and said that she doesn't even have a doctor because she's perfectly healthy so she just went to a site called CertaPet and for $50 you can have any animal officially certified as an ESA and the airlines can't do anything about it.

I would personally prefer to have animal-free cabins (I'd get rid of other things as well in my ideal world but let's stay on topic), but I fully understand the need for and value of a genuine service animal. I have sat next to one on a couple of occasions and had no issues with it. Faking it to bring your pet on board though, is really pathetic in my book, and will only serve to make it worse for those with a genuine need.

Hope the airlines keep cracking down on this further.
PACLipper and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cricketer
Encountered a pretty disappointing abuse of the ESA rules recently. In pmCO J, Passenger in 1E brought her dog aboard and was excitedly announcing that it was the dog's first flight. While the dog was largely very well behaved, it turned out (as it had appeared from the start) that this was in no way a service animal.

At the end of the flight, another passenger asked the lady what the animal was supporting her with. She gleefully explained that this was not a service dog, just her pet, and she didn't like having it travel in the hold because once on AA there was a several hour delay in getting the dog to her. She then went further and said that she doesn't even have a doctor because she's perfectly healthy so she just went to a site called CertaPet and for $50 you can have any animal officially certified as an ESA and the airlines can't do anything about it.

I would personally prefer to have animal-free cabins (I'd get rid of other things as well in my ideal world but let's stay on topic), but I fully understand the need for and value of a genuine service animal. I have sat next to one on a couple of occasions and had no issues with it. Faking it to bring your pet on board though, is really pathetic in my book, and will only serve to make it worse for those with a genuine need.

Hope the airlines keep cracking down on this further.
I hope you reported her to the airline so that they can flag the fake ESA and perhaps try to do something the next time she attempts to fly with that beast in the cabin for free. Alternatively, the more airlines are aware of issues with fake ESAs the more they're likely to lobby for tighter regulations and to attempt to tighten their own rules about bringing "free" ESAs on board.
cricketer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
What knowledge do you (or any airline for that matter) have to decide if there's an actual medical\mental necessity for a person?
None.

But, that's not the point. If the NPRM were to become the final rule, there would be no more ESA's, only service dogs and those come with real training and certification requirements.

Maybe the Rule should be expanded to include "pet rocks." Those never disturbed anybody and if they give someone comfort, so much the better.
Miggles and Ari like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:38 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
If the NPRM were to become the final rule, there would be no more ESA's, only service dogs and those come with real training and certification requirements.
The final rule allows for ESAs (as their own category and not as pets), it just says the airlines get to set the rules and no more ESA "rights" under the ACCA (to the extent that one could call them "rights" which they weren't).
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I remember when emotional support for traveler was a valium and a couple of drinks....

...and a smoke.
comfortablynumb likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The legal issues of ESA "certifiers" or not is a topic for a different forum -- it has no impact on our travel experiences on United.
Will clean up those posts that got so far off-topic.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:13 am

ESAs in PP/Polaris seats?

Hi all! I know that there is a healthy and engaging debate about how valid emotional support animals (ESAs) are, and I'm not trying to stir that pot here beyond saying that we do have valid ESA symptoms. I've also read this useful thread on pets-in-cabin on United. All of this is to say that we're going on a p.s. trip in a couple of weeks booked on a 787-10. For social distancing (and general comfort!) we like the paired seats in either of the premium classes. However, we're looking to bring our well-behaved dog on the flight and while United clearly states that pets-in-cabin aren't allowed in Premium Plus or Polaris, I don't see that same restriction applied to ESAs in those classes.

I called 1K 1Call and the rep had to check with her manager, who then confirmed that ESAs are allowed in Premium Plus or Polaris, but I wanted to see if anyone here had actual experience traveling with an ESA in these classes and how it went?

Biggest concern for us here would be that we apply PlusPoints, get cleared for PP/Polaris, and then an FA sends us back to coach and we're not able to get seats together in Econ+ (although given current loads that might be a non-issue)!

Thanks everyone for the help, and if there is a thread on this topic that I'm missing please feel free to share

EDIT: 1. I see that I can't post the link to the other pets-in-cabin thread since I don't have 5 posts
2. I've been in Polaris a few times and know that the footwells are a bit narrow, but our dog's container would do fine without protruding into the aisle (I know that's a key concern).

Last edited by NYC MP 2017; Jul 28, 2020 at 8:15 am Reason: adding context re: polaris footwells
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
This may help, if you haven't seen it before:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...e-animals.html

It may depend a lot on how big your dog is. UA may deny a dog completely if it's 'larger' than 65lbs, for instance.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by narvik
This may help, if you haven't seen it before:

It may depend a lot on how big your dog is. UA may deny a dog completely if it's 'larger' than 65lbs, for instance.
Thanks! Read that page too, and seeing that they don't have the no PP/Polaris language there was what first triggered this idea. Dog is 12 lbs so definitely not an issue there
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:13 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I guess the difference is whether you were planning to take the dog in a kennel or only on leash. The reason why in-cabin pets are not allowed in Polaris is some of the seats are not certified to have items stored in the footwell, even though people put stuff there. The true Polaris seat does allow items stored in the footwell, but the kennel needs to be able to fit completely underneath without protruding, and the dog needs to have room to stand up and move around. For PP, the location of the footrest reduces the height of the storage space underneath the seat. If you were planning to bring a kennel, then these restrictions apply. If on leash only, then the dog needs only to be next to your feet, which will reduce your legroom.

Since you will need to have clearance with the Accessibility desk to bring an ESA, I would confirm the requirements with them. You might be better off staying in E/E+, perhaps buying an extra seat in between both of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.